August '10 ROTM - DeeAOne & Dan [Sac]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

August '10 ROTM - DeeAOne & Dan [Sac]

This Month we had lots of worth entry's and early it was apparent that there would be 2 strong competitors. Dan [Sac] and DeeAOne tied the polls at 21 votes each. Without further ado here are the Winning entries.

DeeAOne

Well he picked up his 323 in February 2009. He bought it bone stock with a blown headgasket for $500 with 198k on the clock. The old b6 got a new headgasket amongst other things and she was running great. He never planned to do anything engine wise. As he got more into the car, he thought about a BP swap down the road at the most.

He mainly focused on exterior mods: drop, wheels, other little stuff. He rode around for quite some time with the 82hp monster that is the B6. One day his buddy and he joked around about putting a v6 in my car but he assured him it would never happen. Not even 2 weeks later, he was down at the local Autozone when a friend who owned a probe gt gave him a deal he couldnt refuse. He offered him a free KLDE with blown headgaskets. He took it as a sign and jumped headfirst into his first swap.

In December 2009 as he was gathering parts and getting ready to take the plunge, a trip to Atlanta ended the life of the B6. He was heading to a huge meet in Georgia that he goes to every month when the crank pulley sheared off the B6 at 70mph. $343 later the car was home. this was the turning point of my car. The b6 was out and 4 months later and after many headaches the KLDE was in and running. Sadly only 3 weeks or so later it spun a rod bearing. He was very distraught about the situation. He went to rebuild the DE and turn it into a DE/ZE hybrid when one night he realized for the same price he could just order a ZE. The day it arrived off the truck he dropped it in that night and it was once again alive the next day.He still has lots of plans for the 323. I cant wait to see whats next.

Engine
    • 2.5L KLZE swap
    • JE50 VAF and KL31 ECU combo
    • eBay Headers
    • Full custom 2.5 inch exhaust to a Tsudo 4 inch muffler

Exterior
    • Isuzu I-Mark front bumper
    • 3rd generation Z28 Camaro lip spoiler
    • Buick front lip
    • Familia badge
    • Japanese tag

Interior
    • AutoMeter water temperature gauge
    • AutoMeter oil pressure gauge
    • AutoMeter volt gauge
    • Sunpro Tachometer

Suspension/wheels
    • eBay springs on stock struts
    • BG hub conversion (rear still in the works)
    • 14x6 BMW bottlecaps on the front, 14x6 American Racing wheels on the rear

Audio
    • Pioneer headunit
    • 2 12'' audiobahn subs
    • 600w audiobahn amp

Plans
    • custom axles
    • finish the hub conversion
    • Tockico blues struts on some type of coilovers
    • 15x7 Konig Candy white face with polished lip
    • fresh re-paint of the entire car

Dan [Sac]

------------------------------

This is Audrey. She started life as an industrious little commuter, with a proud little 1.6 SOHC mated to an auto transmission. When I bought her in early 2009, the body was in need of TLC, the interior was trashed, and it would only operate in the first 2 gears.

This was my first 'full car project' that included virtually every aspect of the automobile - drivetrain, suspension, chassis, electrical, paint - the whole 9 yards. It took about 15 months to come to fruition, with over 1,000 hours of work put into it and receipts topping $12,000. In the end, it's come together beautifully.

Driving this car is a pleasure, save for the stiff suspension....but then if it wasn't for that, I'd never have the Cheshire cat grin every time I see an on-ramp or my favorite zoom-zoom roads. She was built to serve as a daily driven car, with a little bit of added mojo in the twisties AND on straights. I am a huge fan of underdogs and semi-sleepers, and the 'holy ****' factor rates high on my list of things I like to accomplish with my cars. I'd like to think that this car has achieved those goals.

As with everything, there is always room for improvement, but at some point you have to draw the line between time and money invested and amount of pleasure you derive from your work. While I slightly feel that I've overdone it, in the end I am very much loving the end product.

------------------------------

Engine/Drivetrain
    • rebuilt KLDE V6 - bone stock for now, to break it in and get CARB-certified (50-state legal engine
    • change)
    • fidanza flywheel
    • clutchmasters clutch
    • Mazimum Motorsports oil filter relocation 'kit' (for the 4.6 modular)
    • Earl's front mount oil cooler
    • XRP black fittings and -8AN hose
    • AFCO racing radiator with custom hard lines

Suspension/wheels/tires/brakes
    • ksport coilovers all around
    • XXR 002 16x8 (+0) wheels
    • Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 tires (225/50/16)
    • SS braided brake lines/clutch line
    • all new brakes front/rear
    • all susp. bushings replaced with 90-poly bushings

Exterior
    • 2008 Mini Cooper S 'Dark Gray Metallic' 2-stage paint
    • 2008 MIni Cooper S 'Midnight Black' 2-stage paint (accents)
    • JDM 3-hole front bumper (NOS)
    • British rear bumper
    • British rear spoilers
    • glass euro headlights (6000k H4 HID)
    • 93+ tail lights
    • ZG flares
    • Aerocatch flush-mounted hood latches

Interior/Engine Bay/Audio
    • Full RHD conversion (including wipers)
    • Battery relocation to trunk
    • MX3 front & rear seats
    • Full MX3 wiring harness
    • ProSport gauges (oil/water/boost)
    • Wrinkle Black powdercoating on valve covers
    • Shaved engine bay, smoothed out sheetmetal wrinkles
    • Pioneer head unit
    • 6.5" fronts
    • 5x7 rears

Future mods
    • Eaton M62 supercharger, intercooled
    • SSAC headers
    • Test pipe
    • 3" catback exhaust
    • Millenia S injectors
    • Megasquirt tuning w/ ignition coils
    Last edited by Ace; 08-16-2010, 11:05 PM.
    -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
    VF10 powered!
    262 Whp & 257 Wtq
    13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

My hats off to the winner(s)!
    "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
    -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
    *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
    172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
    New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Congrats to both of you!

--Ferdi
      If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
      -----
      Miscellaneous Pics of Turbo Protege Build
      Big Front Brake Install using Wilwood Calipers
      Factory Service Manuals and Familia Brochures - PDF

Comment

congratulations on two well deserved victories.
        1990 Protege 4WD
        GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
        ├┼┤
        2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

congrats guys . 2 most excellent builds..

Comment

thanks guys! feels good to see people appreciate what it is. around here people assume its common like a b18 swapped civic. lol

'88 323 sedan, K-swapped..

'03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - miss it so much..

'01 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - 323 hauler

Comment

Congrats to both! Two killer rides!
              94 pro base model, all synthetic fluids, s/r struts, front & rear ebay upper strut bars,front & rear tie bar, ZX2 1" front swaybar, EGT 21mm rear sway bar, custom delrin endlinks front & rear, custom delrin rear swaybar mount bushings, EBC front blanks & redstuff pads, CS ss brake lines & dot 4 fluid, big drum brakes in rear (from ZX2, free parts), 2.25 custom exaust w/magnaflo oval muffler, 4-wire o2 sensor, custom ram-air, 4-wire BP tb, MSD super conducter plug wires, MSD Blaster SS coil, NGK iridiums,OEM weighted shift knob, ebay short shifter, bronzoil bushings, CS ss clutch line, custom air splitter, mx-3 recaro drivers seat, EGT foglight switch, 35w 5000k hi/lo hid's

soon:
              lightened flywheel & clutch; in garage,
              Miata Daisy's; after new tires

Comment

2 kl swapped 323s win ROTM. Now that's some cool ****. Congrats guys
                1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Congrats to both you guys! Major props on all the work that went into each car!

Comment

congrats guys, great work on both these rides
                    91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

both rides are unique in there own ways congrats to both winners

sigpicWorlds first car with GPS was a Mazda

~~~~~~~~> Thanks again to member gooseinyou for the familia garnish <~~~~~~~~

Comment

Hats off too both winners, awesome rides!
                        1991 Mazda 323 Base (Gretchen)-Build Thread
                        Sold-1987 Mazda 323 Wagon (Molly)-Build Thread
                        R.I.P.-1988 Mazda 323 GT (Misty) -Build Thread

Oh Colorado, how beautiful your mountains and awesome your roads!

Comment

Thanks for the votes guys
                          '90 Mazda 323 - V6 KLDE, supercharged, right-hand drive, build log
                          '93 Ford Probe GT - a few mods...
                          10.24 @ 139.5 mph [16 psi] - Timeslip
                          490whp, 447 wtq @ 20psi - Dyno sheet

Comment

2 amazing car congrat!!!
                            2012 Kia rio
                            2009 Nissan Frontier
                            1997 chaparral 180LE

Comment

Congrats Guys! Great work!
                              sigpic
                              Mod List:
                              *KYB GR2 Struts
                              *Modified stock intake
                              *K&N Performance air filter
                              *Stainless Header
                              *Custom Interior- hot pink / black carbon fiber wrap
                              *Urethane Filled Mounts (1 done so far)
                              *Alpine 600W Amp / Audiobahn 12" Sub

Comment

Working...
                              X