X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Output Ratings, BL (MY 2010-2013)

Updated August 21st 2013

As the natural successor to the Protege, and to keep CP up to date as well as attracting new 3 members, CP had previously established a Mazda3 Forum for the 2004-2009 models, chassis code BK. The MY 2010 marks the introduction of the 2nd Gen 3s, chassis code BL. Although CP does not yet have a section for these cars, I thought it would be useful to post power output specs for this new generation of cars for the convenience of our members considering the purchase of a new 3, since such a thread already exists for the earlier models. Should a new section be established for the BL, this thread will be moved for inclusion there.

The following data is taken mostly from official 2010, 2011, and 2012 Mazda3 and Mazdaspeed3 brochures available at your dealer. In addition to the original SAE net BHP and Torque figures given, I've included a conversion to SI units and as well added calculated brake mean effective pressure (BMEP) values for the non-PZEV engines (for an explanation, see below). Engines have two BMEP ratings - one at max BHP, one at max torque - the latter always the greater of the two. For more information about BMEP, go to:

The big news for the 2012 MY is the introduction of the SKYACTIV-G engine into Mazda's regular production line. Noteworthy for its extremely high CR for a streetable gasoline engine, its substantial increase in thermal efficiency leads to increased power output and decreased fuel consumption compared with most other engines of its displacement class. Some other features of the engine include a 4-into-2-into-1 exhaust header, multi-hole fuel injectors to improve fuel spray characteristics, dual sequential variable valve timing electronically controlled on the intake side, and a forged steel crankshaft and connecting rods. Additionally, the SKYACTIV-G engine, like the turbo type uses direct injection (DISI). For more information on this radically new engine, go to:

All Mazda3 engines are 4-cyl inline with chain-driven DOHCs, 4-valves per cylinder and variable intake valve timing (VVT). They have aluminum alloy blocks and heads with electronically controlled multiport fuel injection, and direct coil-on-plug electronic ignition with platinum-tipped spark plugs. New for 2010, the MZR 2.3 L engine has been replaced with the long-stroke 2.5 L engine from the 6. As is the case in the earlier engine, it has dual balance shafts which eliminate the secondary harmonic unbalanced force characteristic of inline 4-cyl engines. The MZR 2.0 L normally aspirated and the 2.3 L turbo engines are substantially unchanged from their 1st Gen specs. According to TheMAN, the 2.5 L engine now uses a spin-on oil filter (same as the 2.0 L) in contrast to the cartridge type used by the 1st Gen's 2.3 L.

The new MZR 2.5 L engine has an aluminum block with cylinder-bore liners made of a steel-molybdenum alloy for extra strength and stiffness. A forged steel crankshaft provides high rpm strength along with rigidity to ensure low NVH characteristics. Also helping to curb NVH are the damper at the forward end of the crankshaft fitted with two tuned masses and a flexible flywheel. Shim-less bucket tappets eliminate the need for maintenance and lightweight pistons coated with a special anti-friction compound and fitted with low-tension rings improve fuel mileage. Sintered powder-metal con rods and lighter full-floating wrist pins minimize reciprocating weight.

LF-VE MZR 2.0 L Engine (2010-2013)
    Displacement: 1999 cc
    Bore x Stroke: 87.5 mm x 83.1 mm
    CR: 10:1
    Redline: 6,500 rpm
    148 BHP @ 6,500 rpm, SAE net (110 kW); BMEP 148 psi
    135 lbs/ft Torque @ 4,500 rpm, SAE net (183 Nm); BMEP 166 psi
    144 BHP @ 6,500 rpm, SAE net (107 kW) PZEV*
    132 ft/lbs Torque @ 4,500 rpm, SAE net (179 Nm) PZEV*

PE-VPM SKYACTIV-G 2.0 L DISI Miller/Atkinson Cycle Engine (2012-2013)
    Displacement: 1998 cc
    Bore x Stroke: 83.5 mm x 91.2 mm
    CR: 12:1
    Redline:6,500 rpm
    155 BHP @ 6,000 rpm, SAE net (116 kW); BMEP 168 psi
    148 lbs/ft Torque @ 4,100 rpm, SAE net (201 Nm); BMEP 183 psi
    154 BHP @ 6,000 rpm, SAE net (115 kW) PZEV*

L5-VE MZR 2.5 L Engine (2010-2013)
    Displacement: 2489 cc
    Bore x Stroke: 89 mm x 100 mm
    CR: 9.7:1
    Redline: 6,200 rpm
    167 BHP @ 6,000 rpm, SAE net (125 kW); BMEP 145 psi
    168 lbs/ft Torque @ 4,000 rpm, SAE net (228 Nm); BMEP 167 psi
    165 BHP @ 6,000 rpm, SAE net (123 kW) PZEV*
    167 lbs/ft Torque @ 4,000 rpm, SAE net (226 Nm) PZEV*

*PZEV (Partial Zero Emission Vehicle) - A more stringent set of of emissions limits compared with the federal level, resulting in a small decrease in both BHP and torque ratings, required for motor vehicles sold in the following states: CA, CT, MA, ME, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, VT, and WA.

L3-VDT MZR 2.3 L DISI Turbo Engine (2010-2013)
    Displacement: 2260 cc
    Bore x Stroke: 87.5 mm x 94 mm
    CR: 9.5:1
    Max Boost Pressure: 15.5 psi (1.07 bar)
    263 BHP @ 5,500 rpm, SAE net (196 kW); BMEP 275 psi
    280 lbs/ft Torque @ 3,000 rpm (380 Nm); BMEP 306 psi

Readily noted is the enormous increase in both power output and BMEP in the turbo engine compared with the normally aspirated models. Equally interesting is the fact that the normally aspirated 2.0 L engine has a higher BMEP at max HP than the larger, more powerful 2.5 L engine (148 vs. 145 psi) although slightly less BMEP at max torque (166 vs. 167 psi). Thus, regardless of their power outputs, the efficiencies of the two powerplants are virtually identical. If I had to guess the reason for this outcome, I'd chalk it up to the longer stroke, and lower CR, of the larger engine as well as the dual balance shafts which reduce net BHP and torque by the amount required to bring about their rotation.

Of even more interest is the substantial increase in BMEP in the SKYACTIV-G 2.0 L engine over that of the 2.5 L powerplant. This is due primarily to the 12:1 CR with its resultant increase in thermal efficiency.

Happy Motoring!
    Last edited by goldstar; 09-02-2013, 07:15 AM.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

My wife has a BL for her daily driver with the LF-VE and I can say first hand that it is a very smooth revving engine with decent power. The weight of the sedan is somewhere around 3300 lbs which is beefy compared to my yellow BJ wagon, but the car seems to still hold its own through a corner. All in all, shes content
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

I moved all posts containing technical information or questions pertaining to it to the SKYACTIV thread in the General Automotive section so that they will be available to more of our Forum members, not just those interested in Mazda3s. This thread is about engine specs primarily so those with technical questions, or information, please post in:

Thank you.

Happy Motoring!
      Last edited by goldstar; 10-22-2011, 09:48 AM.
      02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
      MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
      MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
      Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
      Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
      Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
      Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
      Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
      Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
      Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Working...
      X