No announcement yet.

Keith's '02 Protege ES Worklog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started the new paint job on the strut bar but it started to rain so it sat with just primer for a day or so...

Then got the new paint sprayed...

Since I located a passengers side bracket and its on its way, I decided to modify the exisiting brackets so everything will be ready to bolt on when it comes in...

(You can also see that I snapped off the top of the dipstick while wrenching, Ive got a new one on the way as well.)

Comment

Passengers side strut bar bracket came in the mail today. I would have liked to put the bar on but ill just have to take it off when I replace the alternator. I still might put it on since even thought the alt. should be here tomorrow I prolly wont be able to get home to replace it till the weekend of the 6th

Comment

glad you finally sourced one. should be nice to have the FSTB
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

whered ya mange to find it?
          loves BGs too much for his own good...

93 pro lx. daily runaround until a straight shell can be had.
          73 datsun 260z, yet another project in need of more love.

"yeah im sure you as a redneck and then a dude walking around with a mohawk, wearing gang rags... you're sure to stir up some trouble..."
          sigpic

Comment

Vendor over at Mazdas247, Mazmart, had one

Comment

The new alternator came today thanks to Mazdamart, got i cheaper than new with less that 4,000 miles on it. Looks like it will be going in the weekend after this coming weekend...

Comment

what id give for a new high power alternator
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

This is a stock replacement for mine, unless you are saying mine is more powerful that what comes with your car, I dont know much about alternators, I knew there were high power ones for audio systems but I always just assumed all alternators were basically the same

Comment

i dont know if its higher power than our or not, but i do know that i wouldnt mind havin a new one, too. sometimes when i rip into it a bit i get the battery charge light start to faintly come on around 6500 rpm... i dont like it, not one bit. lol.

"yeah im sure you as a redneck and then a dude walking around with a mohawk, wearing gang rags... you're sure to stir up some trouble..."
                    sigpic

Comment

Yea the bearing is shot in mine, and I think is the cause of the electrical problems Ive been having lately, so ill see if they go away with the new alt.

Comment

Sooooo, PITA day but successful day as well
                        I went to walgreens and the alt. problems were acting up like never before, came out of the store and the car wouldn't even turn over at all. Called a towtruck, they hauled my ass back to campus and I had em put the car in a spot near the back of my lot so I could work in peace.
                        Had a friend drive me to habour freight to buy a jack and a couple jack stands (autozone and advance sont rent those type of tools). $55 dollhairs later I had a cheap jack and two cheap jack stands.
                        4:30, went to work on the car (couldnt use the jack cuz it was a joke with a lift area the size of half-dollar ... I didnt trust it. Managed to just barely fit under the car (thank god Im still at stock height) Got everything out of my way and the lat completely unbolted. Spent roughly 15min trying to wiggle the damn thing up and out but it eventually came out
                        Put the new alt in and it went in so easy I knew it was too good to be true, the bolt wouldnt line up on the far side of the hole on the bottom of the alternator. Spent about another 15 mins wiggling the damn thing all over the place before I could thread the bolt in the rest of the way, then got the alt. all tightened up.
                        Since I was there I also threw on the strut bar.

(Old Alternator, I have it next to me and keep giving it the occasional kick to spite it)

(New alternator in its new home)

(Nice new strut bar)

The new alt. is nice, I now realize some problems Ive been noticing for a while mustve been signs it was going cuz its hard to explain but it feels like the car just got over the flu or something, nice and srong now lol)

!!!Also I did not realize what a difference the strut bar would make, it makes cornering like night and day. The front feels super eager to make the turn and doesnt really bog down at the apex anymore. Man what a worthwhile part!!!

Comment

i hear ya on the strut bar being worth while. its still on my wishlist for now, but the 323 didnt come with a front swaybar from the factory, so i pulled one off of a pro LX at the junkyard one day and then spent about 3 hours struggling to get it on my car at home...
                          ended up having to pull the steering rack off of the subframe, and drop the subframe and transmission cross member to get the clearence i needed to get it in there, but god the difference was again, like night and day.

sigpic

Comment

i remember swapping alternators recently in just the same manner.
                            inconsistant regulator on a remanned autozone alt. oh well pulled it from a JY for $14 years back served well i say

glad to see the new strutbar in place!!

another thing to look into. a couple of extra engine to chassis ground, or a daisy chain from the engine/chassis to the negative side of the battery.

Comment

Front brakes are shot...
                              Just ordered some generic dimpled and slotted rotors, and waiting on a reply to a best offer for some EBC greenstuff pads on ebay

Also started cataloging parts and prices for an auto to manual swap. Still wont be for a couple years but its def. coming together as a serious plan

Comment

Should be getting these in the mail within the next few weeks, they will be going on the car when Im home over thanksgiving break along with some other stuff that needs to get done before wintah gets here.

Comment

Working...
                                X