Kev's '98 Protege Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kev's '98 Protege Thread

Figured I'd start a thread here instead of continuously posting new stuff to the "What did you do to your BHA?" thread. Not much "building" going on with my car just yet, just little things here and there. Yes, these first few posts are out of order of what I did first, second, third and so on, but they're just a recap of everything I can remember up to this point. Lots of pics will be posted.
    Last edited by irishkev90; 10-21-2010, 11:42 PM.

Intake

So far for performance mods I've done a short intake with Spectre parts purchased at Autozone and a Spectre HpR filter from Spectre's website. I've experimented and played around with this thing I don't know how many times, but I think I'm done with it. . . I think. Anyway, the original build can be found here. Soon after I change from that to a CAI by locating the filter down in the bottom left corner of the bumper. After that change it felt like throttle response had decreased so I changed back to the short set-up. Sure enough I could feel a difference in throttle response between the longer and shorter intakes.

Done some changes since then. Took out the 6" straight pipe and put in a 22* bend, shortened the 22* bend, drilled a hole in the bottom for the IAT sensor and put on a Spectre HpR filter. I also bought a Spectre mounting kit from Pepboys (none at Autozone) and used one of the airbox mounting bolts and the MAF to hold the intake in place.
    Attached Files

Comment

HIDs

I have an HID kit in the car at the moment). They are 8000k Bi-Xenon bulbs, a "Deep Blue" color to them. Basically a plug-n-play kit. Sorry, no pictures of the process or before and afters. They look great, but I'm thinking of a 5000k projector retrofit now.
      Attached Files

Comment

Jdm

Bought a couple JDM parts not too long ago from firelizard (thanks again). I got the headlights, tail lights and corner lights along with a Mazdaspeed strutbar. Buffed the lights with some 3M rubbing compound to clear them up a bit, same for the strutbar to make it shine. Everything came seperately, but was put on the day I got the part. The HID bulbs needed a simple change to fit the JDM headlights. A reflector type piece at the tip of the bulb needed to be unscrewed and taken off, no biggie. Got brighter "city light" bulbs. The reasons I want projectors now: 1) I now have clear lenses (JDM headlights) and housings I can cut up to stick a projector in (USDM headlights), and 2) the JDM lights point into oncoming traffic instead of lighting up my side of the road, especially the high-beams.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by irishkev90; 08-27-2010, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Maintanence

Soon after getting the car the outer CV boot on the passenger-side axel tore open and made an annoying clunking noise whenever I turned. I helped my dad replace it. That was my first time doing work on this car. I've also replaced the spark plugs with NGK Iridiums and changed the alternator/water pump and power steering belts. I neglect to add a/c into that because the pulley went bad and snapped the belt so now I have a belt for a car without a/c, so just a crank/power steering belt.

The exhaust developed a leak which eventually caused the pipe to break right off the back of the resonator, sounded horrible. So my dad chopped off the resonator and I clamped a straight pipe in its place. Looking to get a 2" stainless steel exhaust for it.

The front passenger brake caliper also went bad, so I replaced both calipers (painted black with caliper paint) and rotors. While my dad and I were bleeding the brakes, the lines to the rear brakes busted and fluid was all over the place. So we sent it to the shop and got everything straightened out.

So far so good at this point.

Comment

Audio

Well, the factory stereo wouldn't play any of the CDs I burned on my computer so I bought a JVC KD-HDW10 headunit from crutchfield.com. Not long after that I decided it was time to upgrade the speakers. I bought Alpine Type-S 6.5" components for the front and 6x9" 3-ways for the rear. What a difference! The tweeters for the front components are in the corners of the dash and looks like it could have come from the factory like that. I then bought an Alpine PDX-F4 amp to power the speakers. Some of my friends think I have subs now, but it's just the 6x9's pumping out the bass. One thing I like about the headunit is the fact that it has outputs for the front, rear AND sub, while everything else I've seen only has outputs for front and rear/sub. Thinking about upgrading to Type-R speakers and a Type-R sub powered by another PDX amp. If you can't tell by now, I kind of have an obsession with Alpine, haha.

Comment

Looks like a good start. I'm not a fan of that much blue coming from headlights but its not my car
              1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
              1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
              2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
              2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
              .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

The blue is going away soon. Going to get 5000k HIDs with projectors next.

Comment

Okay, this suspension thing is bugging me. I know I'm going with KYB GR2's but still haven't found a spring to go with them. None that I've found will lower the car enough (I want at least 2"), and ones that I see suggested I just can't find. So, if anyone has a link or some kind of direct info on where to get some springs it would be much appreciated.

Comment

part #DZLS7401 Cost $89 Lower front and rear 2".

Comment

Hmm, someone said those were out of stock so I never bothered. I'm going to put my order in now and see what happens. Thanks Pox.

edit: Just ordered the Dropzone lowering springs from madracingconcepts.com and KYB GR2's from the KYB outlet store at justsuspension.com. (Can't wait to see how excited my parents, especially my dad, will be when these show up. *sarcasm*) He thinks this car isn't worth working on, I beg to differ. Also, this will be the first MAJOR work/mods I've done on the car so we'll see how this goes.

Another quick question: bushings? Will the new struts come with any or do I need to buy them myself? And what others do you suggest I get/replace while I'm at it?

Thanks in advance for any help I'm given. I really want to start getting some actual work done on the car :D
                      Last edited by irishkev90; 08-29-2010, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by irishkev90 View Post
                        Hmm, someone said those were out of stock so I never bothered. I'm going to put my order in now and see what happens. Thanks Pox.

edit: Just ordered the Dropzone lowering springs from madracingconcepts.com and KYB GR2's from the KYB outlet store at justsuspension.com. (Can't wait to see how excited my parents, especially my dad, will be when these show up. *sarcasm*) He thinks this car isn't worth working on, I beg to differ. Also, this will be the first MAJOR work/mods I've done on the car so we'll see how this goes.

Another quick question: bushings? Will the new struts come with any or do I need to buy them myself? And what others do you suggest I get/replace while I'm at it?

Thanks in advance for any help I'm given. I really want to start getting some actual work done on the car :D
                        They dont come with anything other than the strut.You will need new bushings.The rear mounts may be rusted all to shi* and most likely should be replaced.You may get lucky with the front mounts though.
                        New boots and bumpstops may also be required as well.If your dropping then you will need adjustable camber bolts as well.One in each strut should do .You will need alignment when done.Make sure all the other front end parts are tight too before aligning.