No announcement yet.

Kev's '98 Protege Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't hate too much though. My exhaust on every car I've owned is either rusting away or sounds like crap. Same goes for the 2 proteges I own now

Comment

Hahaha, so true. But I didn't have the money for a new one back then so the temporary fixes were the best I could do. But this thing has been demoted to winter beater, so I'm not real concerned with it anymore.

Update: Got the car back. I can actually hear the radio now. Along with all the other noises the car is making.
      Last edited by irishkev90; 12-31-2013, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Got this beast started again. It's been sitting since Easter. Charged the battery and slowly turned it over a few times before actually starting it to make sure everything still moved. Started without problem, but smoke started pouring from the belt area. Shut her down, checked everything, looked fine. Decided to do it again, started, no smoke. That was weird, whatever. Let her warm up, revved a few times, still runs great and idles smooth. The shift mechanism is seized up so I couldn't move the car, I'll take care of that tomorrow. There is smoke blowing out the tailpipe when I rev it. Hoping it's just from sitting and not a bad head gasket or something.

Edit: Taking this to NYC for a concert in Central Park for Good Morning America. Which means I need to get this thing driving before work tomorrow.
        Last edited by irishkev90; 06-11-2014, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Still feels stronger than the '97. Wtf?

HTC Droid DNA

Comment

This thing made it to the city and back , almost 400 miles total, without a single problem. Ran smooth and strong, shift cable "fix" is holding up, CEL never even lit up.

All this from a car that hasn't had the oil changed in over a year and the same air filter for even longer.

HTC Droid DNA

Comment

thats a win win situation.
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I need a new shift cable for this thing. Getting sick of repairing it every time I go to drive it.

Comment

On second thought, I new cable is $150 and looks like a pain in the ass to change. I think a couple cotter pins and slight modification to my current solution will work just fine.

Comment

I'm dreading the day I get rid of this car. It's been sitting in the driveway for over two months and hasn't moved. Repair the shift cable, jump the battery, start her up. Still runs like a champ, nice and smooth. Went to NYC again and the only problem is the left rear strut is now blown. It felt fine on the way down, so I'm assuming the terrible roads in the city were too much for it. Good thing I still have the '97's old suspension. Free parts!

Comment

So, what I thought was a blown strut actually turned out to be a failed top mount. The strut is actually fine. I was planning on replacing the strut and mount with a set I took off the '97, but both of those struts were shot. The mounts were still good, though. I'll post a couple pictures later.

Comment

Went to get an inspection and had the oil changed at the same time. Apparently my parking brake doesn't hold at all, so I need to get that fixed before it'll pass.

Comment

any idea what the cause is? broken cable? or just needs adjustment?
                          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Probably just adjustment/shoe replacement. I attempted to do the rear brakes a while ago, but the spring kit the parts store gave me didn't match up with anything inside the drum. I said screw it, looked like plenty of life left in the shoes (at the time) and haven't touched it since.

Hopefully I'll be able to have a shop do it all up this weekend and get it re-inspected. I could do it myself, but I hate the cold. It would only decrease what little patience I have to deal with all that rusted up crap.

Comment

if its drum its likely the same issue that the older BG's had, seizing up just because of corrosion.

Comment

I'm at Midas now having them take a look. I don't have the patience to deal with any of it in the cold.

Comment

Working...
                                X