Turning 626 GT into an AWD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning 626 GT into an AWD

While the engine project is taking a little break, I started to work on a 626 GT hatch (I have a wagon too but wouldn't it be too much if all the cars on the forum were wagons :D). Anyway, I like to keep the wagon a GT in the true sense of the word; that is, a great touring car. The somewhat lighter and stiffer hatch would be a better starting point for a more supercar-like creation.

I had re-acquired my very first 626, the white GT hatch. It was in a sorry condition; the floor pan was almost completely rusted off, the rear frames were in really bad shape, the rear suspension arms were eaten away by the salt. Top side of the car was in a decent condition however. I think these photos will tell the tale:

In a word, the car was a mess. I really didn't know what to do with it, I was planning to install the new engine into the wagon and wasn't really keen on having two projects going on at the same time. However, the engine grew out of original specs and got a bit too extreme for what I'd consider an easygoing GT. Also, it became a bit too much for FWD in general.

By chance, I came across an AWD 626 and purchased it before she was sent to the cube factory (crusher). The car was also a white hatch, but the facelift model and lower spec (like all AWD's around here were).

It would seem more logical to install the engine in the newer AWD, rather than converting the old FWD with all the constructional and legal problems, BUT there are a few certain factors at play. First, I had the FWD restoration began already, and I certainly didn't want three concurrent car projects going on! Also, the AWD was in almost as bad shape as the FWD, so it would've been a pretty massive undertaking in either case. Finally, because the facelift cars were registered as low emission models, they cannot be turboed without a very expensive re-certification, which would be required any time something with the engine was changed. So I decided it's better to try and stick with the old FWD body.

After I made the decision, which had taken a good part of a year, I took the old girl for one last drive and then started taking out the parts.

The mighty powerhouse of the AWD! This is in fact the only F2 engine I've ever had.

And here's the transmission, stripped and ready to be cleaned. The mazda AWD transmission is very fragile and I'm quite sure it's not going to be a very long lasting. I am going to strengthen the heck out of it though and see how far I'll get with it. Even the prop shaft flange doesn't look too strong, just four tiny screws holding the power, it doesn't even have dowels. Clearly there's a lot to do with the transmission to get it even close to looking like a performance part.

And here's the rear subframe, heavy as hell. It was a nice discovery to find out the subframes are the same width on both cars, even though almost everything else differs.

Back to the project car; It's reinforced to take the stresses of being hanged on a rotisserie, which I'm building myself. Here's the beginnings of the reinforcing...

Because the frame rails need to be rebuilt, the body cannot be hanged by the extremes without major temporary reinforcing.

I took the rear subframe apart today, and the sight wasn't pretty... there was substantial rust damage, and it seems the whole subframe is little more than scrap. Also the arms were in terrible shape; fortunately, shaft, spindles and diff seemed to be in good condition.

Here's the hard luck subframe:

It got even worse as I cleaned it, but it was too late in the evenign to take photos by then.

Most people who've had GTX's (or even GTR's) will know these parts, but those who don't, here's a comparison between 626 rear subframe for FWD and for AWD. The difference is really considerable.

Last edited by STW; 04-09-2011, 06:02 PM.

Comment

time for a tubular subframe/arms
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

If I only had a proper tube bender...

Comment

Gotta love SolidWorks

Flyrtle 6.0 Dynojet @ 15psi on BP26 ECU 229.31 whp / 229.95 ft-lb
          HPLogic Mustang Dyno @ 15psi on MS1 v3 226 whp / 195 ft-lb [HD Video]
          Soon to be powered by a Precision snail on crack...

Add me on more pictures of my projects can be found there.

Comment

^man i gotta learn how to do that kinda stuff
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Since the company let me go last fall (what a nice bunch they were, asked me to work for the one month everyone else was having a summer break and then asked me to resign) there's nothing been going on with the build. Except for planning of course.

This is the situation:

Either the frame rails are replaced with new tubular rails, or the car goes to the crusher. The rust damage is too extensive for reliable repairs.

However, if the plan gets an approval from the inspections office (I'm very certain it does) the end result is tougher than new, and it also makes fitting the AWF system much easier. At this point, the task of converting the car into AWD does not add any significant amount to the restoration work needed.

Comment

Assembly of the frame and the subframe.

Comment

This is pretty indepth, you must have some serious laws about cars where you live. Here i just do w/e i want. Cops dont really care, hell ive ran my car straight piped, only thing i got was a loud exhaust ticket. Deff digging the AWD GT build! Cant wait to see more
                  1996 PGT<CAI, muffler delete, D2 coilovers, Fidanza, Southbend Stage 1, G4 IM
                  1997 Integra RS<CAI, header, exhaust, lowered on BS with Piles old 17" rims
                  2001 Maxima<wifes daily

Comment

solidworks???

Comment

Solidworks, yeah. I retained a license :D

The construction rules are somewhat strict, though they've laxed quite a bit in the last few decades. The EU is actually putting pressure toward easier rules, but it'll take quite a bit to settle in into the bureaucracy.

I got the rotisserie built last fall, and even got the car ont it, but then winter hit hard with the lack of money and I the project took a standstill. Here are the photos of the rotisserie build:

Also, the car gained a few more trusses to survive cutting the floor pan:

The next task is to ask for a statement from Inchcape motors to confirm the AWD and FWD really do share the same basic frame. That's a requisite for drive train conversion without an exemption permission.
                      Last edited by STW; 04-10-2011, 07:36 AM.

Comment

awesome!!! I remember my neighbours friend was making a rotisserie, I've always wanted to do it myself as well. Awesome project!!
                        -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

seriously awesome. i want to rotisserie my 323 & seam(stitch) weld the floorpan.
                          but alas. dreams to $ ratio isnt there right now

Comment

Very Nice! Takes me back, although your rear sub frame design is allot more in-depth than I did mine. Looks great look forward to seeing the progress
                            Josh
                            95' AWD MX-3 RST - Still a work in progress
                            05' MS RX-8 - Needing some love in the form of a new motor, soon to be FE3 powered
                            Work Log - http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53776
                            Cardomain Page - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/408020
                            Face Book page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mazda-...37983472959216

Comment

Thanks, guys I visited the inspection office today, they were cautiously positive about fixing the body with a frame. They did wonder a bit about using 2mm thick walls, to which I replied about it being the easiest to obtain.

Next: trying to coax a statement from Inchcape motors! That might require some crafty maneuvers. I decided against being nebulous about the reasons to inquire the conformity statement, but I think I'll need to reassure them the end result is not expected to be dealer-maintainable of within factory liability.

Comment

Working...
                              X