No announcement yet.

Turning 626 GT into an AWD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

inchcape motors.......... what is that???
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Inchcape is the Mazda representative in Finland.

After that, though, there is Finnish Transport Safety Agency, which is truly the end of level boss. They don't even adhere to the laws issued by DoT.

For example, an attempt in the past to convert a FWD into an AWD car was halted by them, as they wouldn't accept a statement by the factory the two cars were of the same type.

There ARE however, cases where FWD to AWD conversions do have been approved, and lately the attitude has grown a bit more relaxed. So I'm hopeful.

The severity of the legal process however does postpone rolling in the most extreme car modifications in the initial scrutiny.

Comment

Your project is in the fine tradtion of Finnish crazy car projects. I trust you've heard of Makela Auto Tuning? Between what they've done, and your toy, I would have assumed that there was little to no government resistance to hotrodding...guess not. So y'all git r dun despite the FTSA! I hoist a beer in your honor.
        '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
        '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
        http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Thanks! I hope I can live up to the expectations

I know and love the Makela Auto Tuning's Ford Model A project! They have a lot of other cool projects too. The Model A had a nice little legal loophole; cars are mostly subject to the legislation in effect at the time of the first registration, so Model A would be under some seriously relaxed rules indeed :D

Here's a small side story about the fate of the AWD donor car: after I removed the rear suspension, here's how I kept the thing mobile:

I made a transport suspension out of 1x2" and 2x2" tubing with trailer wheel hubs

Here's how it looks like installed:

That thing is *very* tall indeed. I actually had to lift it quite a bit to fit 13" wheels! It's intentional obviously, I only need wheel chocks to get under the car now.

Comment

Good luck with the conversion

Looks like you are well on your way.

Will you be stitching in the AWD floorpan?
            1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
            1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
            www.werbatfik.com

Comment

I'll be using the central tunnel of the AWD car; but for most parts, it too is quite beyond salvage. I'm going to cut up the pan on that thing in a few months time hopefully.

Meanwhile, I've been doing some more design work, here's what's up:

The rails running above the trailing arm tabs are too long and too steep, but those things are just new numbers in the input panel. I'm probably going to need thorough plans with strength calculations. Fortunately, some simplifications are allowed.

Comment

regulations seem quite strict on modifications...
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Not all modifications are under this much red tape, but the change of drive layout and change of wheelbase are two things they are extremely strict about.

As for the drive layout conversion, I know there are few, but I dare say under ten projects has ever finished. Of course, this is mostly because the AWD option is usually cheaper and easier to just buy.

Comment

Okay, this was a crushing defeat. The response from Inchcape was anything but the one I wanted.

Turns out, it was the FTSA that had determiend the model series. And as such, they had decided that all FWD models, including the 4WS, belong to one model series, and the AWD to another. So in other words, the remark in the rules about how drive train can be swapped between cars of the same model series was actually a moot point as they had made FWD and AWD belong to different model series. Well, what you'd expect from a committee of non-elected government officials...

Next: $500 exemption request from the FTSA. With slim chances of success.

Comment

:/ what happens if you do it anyhow?

Comment

It won't be street legal anymore and I need to turn in the plates - I could still drive it for a week at a time with special transit plates, but it's about 20 bucks for the first day and five for each following it.

I'll start building for the conversion anyhow and apply for the exemption permission - if the verdict is still a no go, I'll REALLY have to start considering my options. FTSA can be bitch to work with. It was well put in a Mustang forum: "Land of decree and home of the nay"

The most ass backwards thing though - I could install 4WS with much less hassle, and that if anything is a huge shift in handling.

Comment

Just do it and dont tell anyone. Thats what we do in Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by jesiotrot View Post
                            Just do it and dont tell anyone. Thats what we do in Australia.
                            That's the standard practice for concealable mods, which AWD conversion unfortunately is not Thorough yearly inspections an all that...

Comment

Ya I know how strict inspections can be. I think here in Germany, it is a bit stricter. Any mod, any, needs to be inspected and certified. Plus all parts need to have a certificate to show to the person testing the car to prove that the parts are certified for that specific car. It's a load of crap, but that's just how it is. Doing a bpt swap here is expensive and frame modification is no way allowed.
                              Too bad I have AWD and you don't!

Comment

The joke is that if you change the brand of tires you need to inspect it...

The rules here are about just as strict for cars with type certification, any modification needs to pass the requirements in effect at the first registeration. Technically possible, practically impossible.

Anyway, I think the difference is again due to the shortcomings of the old type registry. 4WD came with the facelift models, and it's likely the system didn't allow additions to the type already entered to the system. Against that background, an officer with an understanding attitude toward car hobbyists might be easier to allow such a modification, but then again, a hard-nosed bureaucrat will not budge a hair's width.

BTW your signature is highly ironic on this thread :D

Comment

Working...
                                X