• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mazdaspd2008's Mazdaspeed 3 worklog!

Update: Catback exhaust pictures at the bottom of page 1
    Update: New FMIC kit, with install pictures on page 4
    Update: Vacuum Manifold install and a few other misc. things on page 5

So, from the beginning... I'll go through everything I've done and plan to do to my Mazdaspeed 3 :D

Here's how she looked when she came home the first time, July 28th, 2008 :D

My first mods; Cobb Short Ram Intake, HKS SSQV Black Edition, Cobb Short Shifter, HKS Turbo Timer, Street Unit shifter base bushings, and the Street Unit solid rear motor mount.

Sadly I have no install pictures of any of these except the TT since I did a write-up on the install on a different forum. However, here is what I do have pictures of out of the above! :D

Cobb SRI and HKS SSQV:

HKS Turbo Timer:

Cobb Short Shifter:

After this, over the summer I picked up my Cobb AcessPort (no pictures sadly) and I have to say it's been one of my most sound investments, despite the $700 price tag, although being able to reflash my ECU completely and not just "piggyback" it is a major plus, not to mention the actual unit doubles as a multi-function display, data logger, and diagnostic tool.

Soon after that, I found a Cobb FMIC for sale on the forums with under a year of use for $675 shipped (for us MS3 owners this is a good deal, that FMIC kit retails $995 excluding shipping new)

Pictures of the install and finished product:

There wasn't a whole lot for a while after the intercooler. Right around New Years' (NY Eve actually) I had a custom catback fabbed for the car, including the stock exhaust tip, 3" straight from the cat back. No pics unfortunately

This year (2010) has brought quite a few new additions however in the past few months alone as of this post. In June I got the windows tinted after putting it off for almost 2 years! Sadly, after getting into an accident August 1st I was forced to fork over most of the money I had saved up for the Cobb Downpipe (a $700, custom high-flow cat, cast inlet, full 3" flow piece, beautiful, really.)

As a result of my body shop deciding not to cover one of the rims damaged in the accident, I took the opportunity to buy the Konig Zero rims currently on the car, it was that or almost $600 just for one rim through Mazda.

Here are some pictures of that whole ordeal (Mazdaspeed 6 rims were on the car at that point, and I liked them quite a bit, too.):

Tinted Windows:

Accident and resulting rims:

Right before the accident I bought an MSD DashHawk OBD-II tool and just recently (in the midst of not having the Speed3 from the accident) bought Jinx's GReddy Profec B-Spec II EBC, I also have blue LEDs in for the maplights. In addition I bought Nokya Hyperyellow foglights for that JDM look ;D

Picture of my cockpit setup now (yes, the DashHawk has a custom loadup screen with the evil M/Mazdaspeed logo, the guy who I bought it from did that, cool eh? :D):

With the funds leftover after the accident and all that, I had enough to buy the ATP 3" catless Full Downpipe from Enjuku Racing! This was put in the week before Flyrtle 6.0

Downpipe pictures (yes that's my obnoxiously ugly stock manifold):

Next up, the Cobb Protune at Japtrix the day before Flyrtle 6.0's Dyno Day. That got me 40whp and 54lb. ft. of torque to the wheels, definitely a solid investment there. I hear there are some guys down in WPB who don't like Japtrix or had whatever issues with them and now rely on HP Logic for tuning... well my only experience has been positive from Japtrix, especially considering HP's lack of communication led to me losing my spot that same day and failing to acquire the software I needed for them to tune the car, not to mention since they're not certified Cobb Pro tuners, I felt more comfortable at Japtrix anyway.

Japtrix pictures/Dyno sheet:

There are some more pictures of my car taken at Flyrtle floating around on the site as well with a few other CP members' rides.

This next image was taken by one of the SFLA Mazda Crew, definitely my favorite picture of my car.

Future mods include lowering springs, anti-sway bars, and eventually a turbo upgrade to probably a T3/T4.

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by Mazdaspd2008; 12-14-2010, 09:36 PM.
    '12 Ford Focus SEL

heh. I've spent a good bit of time on this car. Nice to see you finally made a log.
    -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
    VF10 powered!
    262 Whp & 257 Wtq
    13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

good stuff man! Glad to see that your going to be posting here more often.

Flyrtle 6.0 Dynojet @ 15psi on BP26 ECU 229.31 whp / 229.95 ft-lb
      HPLogic Mustang Dyno @ 15psi on MS1 v3 226 whp / 195 ft-lb [HD Video]
      Soon to be powered by a Precision snail on crack...

Add me on more pictures of my projects can be found there.

Comment

love the speed 3. funny how much a change a new set of wheels does
        91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

looks good man. now drop the sucka!
          ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
          ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
          What are you driving?

Comment

Nice to see a speed3 worklog on there! Keep it up ... and when you do the springs, definitely replace the shocks/struts. I have Koni FSDs and they have been one of the best things I did to the car.

Comment

Thanks for the love guys! Lowering it has been something I've contemplated for quite some time, and when I do go through with it when funds allow I probably will do a full shock/strut/spring job, I really wanna get the suspension on this thing as good as it can get short of spending $1500 for the cheapest set of coil overs offered for it, I don't want a track car just a weekend warrior since it's my DD, but suspension is a big thing for me because I wanna get into AutoX with it and not just straight line racing.
              '12 Ford Focus SEL

Comment

clean car! what do they MS3 usually dyno on factory trim?
                -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda_Powered View Post
                  clean car! what do they MS3 usually dyno on factory trim?
                  Well with all the mods I already had running on an out of the box Cobb tune I only dyno'd 239whp and 240wtq the first run at Japtrix. I wanna say maybe 220-230whp and around the same for tq from the factory. The crank numbers from Mazda are 263 hp and 280 tq so... maybe a little more on the torque than 220-230... but I'd say around there, I never had it dyno'd as is from the factory.

And thanks for the compliment!
                  '12 Ford Focus SEL

Comment

Wanna trade?

I got a 2006 scion tC im willing to trade for that nice MAZDASPEED3.
                    let me know if you're interested...LOL...no but seriously... Love that whip man!

sigpicBACK TO SQUARE 1

Comment

i love the wheels on that tC! it looks pretty slick, but no go ;D I've only been in the mazda family for a little over 2 years I'm not leaving for hopefully a long while
                      '12 Ford Focus SEL

Comment

Finally got the catback!

Being a college student (and a good one at that) the funds leftover from my scholarships gave me enough to get that catback exhaust, so I went ahead and bought the HKS Hi-Power catback from Street Unit Performance (unfortunately they don't carry any Protege parts except for the last gen and MSP, sorry guys!)

The HKS unboxed

Here's the custom straight catback... for $120 bucks locally, not bad.

Install of the HKS

My only issue with the exhaust is the fact that HKS didn't bother to bend the last section of pipe so that the exhaust tip comes out straight... I guess they were going for the straightest flow possible but I don't think that that small bend would make a huge amount of difference. I don't mind the angle so much as the fact that it sits almost right up against the left side of the cut out for the tip and I don't want it to melt that plastic... so I'm going to be hopefully getting the pipe bent right before the tip to get it come straight out instead of at the angle.

Sounds awesome! I'll hopefully get a video clip soon of how it sounds now, it's so nice.
                        '12 Ford Focus SEL

Comment

the HKS system--- is that a cat/muffler inline??? was it worth $xxx versus the locally made piece??

how much of a change did you notice when changing from the TMIC to a FMIC??
                          power/lag/response?
                          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by Mazdaspd2008 View Post
                            Finally got the catback!

Being a college student (and a good one at that) the funds leftover from my scholarships gave me enough to get that catback exhaust, so I went ahead and bought the HKS Hi-Power catback from Street Unit Performance (unfortunately they don't carry any Protege parts except for the last gen and MSP, sorry guys!)

The HKS unboxed

Here's the custom straight catback... for $120 bucks locally, not bad.

Install of the HKS

My only issue with the exhaust is the fact that HKS didn't bother to bend the last section of pipe so that the exhaust tip comes out straight... I guess they were going for the straightest flow possible but I don't think that that small bend would make a huge amount of difference. I don't mind the angle so much as the fact that it sits almost right up against the left side of the cut out for the tip and I don't want it to melt that plastic... so I'm going to be hopefully getting the pipe bent right before the tip to get it come straight out instead of at the angle.

Sounds awesome! I'll hopefully get a video clip soon of how it sounds now, it's so nice.
                            Nice! that HKS exhaust looks awesome. I know that HKS EXHAUST SYSTEMS for the EVO'S are made for the shorter JDM rear bumper, maybe That's why that last section is angled. Regardless it still looks awesome. glad to see you are making that bond with your car (you work on it, not someone else). Thanks for the shoutout on the tC, hopefully next year I can turbocharge her so I don't leave her for a mazdaspeed3 lol.
                            sigpicBACK TO SQUARE 1

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                              the HKS system--- is that a cat/muffler inline??? was it worth $xxx versus the locally made piece??

how much of a change did you notice when changing from the TMIC to a FMIC??
                              power/lag/response?
                              Its a resonator and a straight through muffler.
                              as for the other stuff, im not sure.
                              -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
                              VF10 powered!
                              262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                              13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Working...
                              X