Mazdaspd2008's Mazdaspeed 3 worklog!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
    the HKS system--- is that a cat/muffler inline??? was it worth $xxx versus the locally made piece??

how much of a change did you notice when changing from the TMIC to a FMIC??
    power/lag/response?
    Like Ace said, its a resonator and muffler setup, and it was $555 shipped after tax for the system, which IMO was worth it over the $120 local piece. The local setup while perfectly functional I don't believe would have held up like the stainless HKS system will. Upon removal of the local cbe we also found that at the top of one of the welds was a small leak where the weld was pretty bad... not to mention the lack of mandrel bends made the local piece less than aesthetically pleasing.

It was a necessary change, I needed to quiet it down, the straight piped setup sounded badass for a while but it got really old really fast when driving on the interstate, that 3k drone was killer.

As for the FMIC setup, there was obviously a decrease in heat soak after moving the intercooler from sitting right on top of the block/turbo setup to sitting up front. As for power, before the tune I only felt a small gain, but a gain nonetheless, being turbo'd from the factory bolt ons obviously won't show much gain out of the box. With this setup, there's not enough lag for it to be truly noticeable much less actually make any difference... with the stock K04 turbo (K04 housing I should say, the internals are all Mazdaspeed specific, and share none of the specs of the Audi K04's) I still spool super quick (start building boost before 3k when I really get on it) and I would expect it to be the same even with an upgraded turbo, provided its not the size of my head. COBB did a great job with their FMIC design... hence the $995 price tag when you buy it new.

Originally posted by cee1481 View Post
    Nice! that HKS exhaust looks awesome. I know that HKS EXHAUST SYSTEMS for the EVO'S are made for the shorter JDM rear bumper, maybe That's why that last section is angled. Regardless it still looks awesome. glad to see you are making that bond with your car (you work on it, not someone else). Thanks for the shoutout on the tC, hopefully next year I can turbocharge her so I don't leave her for a mazdaspeed3 lol.
    Thanks man! I agreed immediately when I opened the box. And that very well may be... the JDM bumpers are indeed shorter, but this does actually stick out a small bit... on the JDM bumper it would stick out quite a bit more.

I agree with you about bonding with the car in that way, every single thing done to my car has been done by me and friends except the catback we cut out and the wheels being installed on the car. Taking our time and doing it right the first time, there's no doubt in my mind you'd see no difference had they been installed "professionally" except of course the difference in how much money I had left afterwords xD

As for the tC... I love them, my sister got one back in '05 when they first came out and until I got the speed3 I was always jealous of it, haha, my neighbor also had one for a time, an 07 5-spd, he supercharged it and before he traded it in it was putting 330hp to the wheels... looked beautiful, white with gold BBS rims, the white tC's are so nice looking with that whole roof being black for the sunroof/moonroof, the contrast is great.
    Last edited by Mazdaspd2008; 10-20-2010, 10:50 AM.
    '12 Ford Focus SEL

Comment

wow looks sharp!! HKS was a good choice it seems! the flanges are gorgeous looking!
      -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

I agree, I was immediately impressed and felt like I had made the right choice when I opened the box and saw the piping in person. The flat flack powdercoating is beautiful, the flanges looked great, and especially the tip section where it tapers down to the 3" pipe and the weld there looked great to me, the whole thing looks great, and sounds even better, I'll have to get a video of it in action soon.
        '12 Ford Focus SEL

Comment

nice mazdaspeed3 ive always like them since they came out pitty the prices of them are sky high in nz

Comment

Originally posted by wgneyz View Post
            nice mazdaspeed3 ive always like them since they came out pitty the prices of them are sky high in nz
            Yessir. They're wicked pricey everywhere but the US it seems... for instance the Canadian dollar right now is almost even with the US dollar... and its 30k+ there as opposed to 23-24k here...

but thanks for the kind words!
            '12 Ford Focus SEL

Comment

no worry man only old people own them in nz, prob buy a mazdaspeed3 or a mazda6 wagon 4 the mrs next yr

Comment

holy crap. my friend got his special edition white MS3 for $21k out the door brand new. ive seen used ones going for as cheap as $14k.

one day i hope to own a speed3. they really are nice cars. a test drive alone will make anyone a fan. i havent been in a new body MS3 yet though.
                ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
                What are you driving?

Comment

i perfer the first shape of the mps3 over the new shape one

Comment

I agree with the first gen being better looking. monoxidechild was that a new special edition ms3? or a first gen grand touring? mine out the door was $22.8k down from around 25k

the new ones if im not mistaken are only one trim level with options that bump the price quite a ways, but yes 1st gen used MS3's go for well under $20k, I wish the same could be said about the Speed6's, lol
                    '12 Ford Focus SEL

Comment

mnn ms6

Flyrtle 6.0 Dynojet @ 15psi on BP26 ECU 229.31 whp / 229.95 ft-lb
                      HPLogic Mustang Dyno @ 15psi on MS1 v3 226 whp / 195 ft-lb [HD Video]
                      Soon to be powered by a Precision snail on crack...

Add me on more pictures of my projects can be found there.

Comment

up here the speed3 goes for around 33k. me i prefer the 1st speed3 the look is much sharper and it doesnt have the look at me screem the new body style has. they are ballzy though. had to test drive a couple for some minor complaints.
                        91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

The new ms3 look makes me shudder

Flyrtle 6.0 Dynojet @ 15psi on BP26 ECU 229.31 whp / 229.95 ft-lb
                          HPLogic Mustang Dyno @ 15psi on MS1 v3 226 whp / 195 ft-lb [HD Video]
                          Soon to be powered by a Precision snail on crack...

Add me on more pictures of my projects can be found there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazdaspd2008 View Post
                            monoxidechild was that a new special edition ms3? or a first gen grand touring? mine out the door was $22.8k down from around 25k
                            its a 1st gen grand touring. its a pearl white which is some special edition of something according to him. he got it so cheap cause he actually originally put money down for a speed6. then it was on the boat that sank if you remember that from a few years ago. so after having $7k cash out at the dealership, and no car after like 3 months. he went in pretty upset, and the only speed they had at the time was this white speed3. so he ended up just picking that up. (he then went ahead, and bought a dark gray speed6 a few months later) lol. now his wife drives the speed3 as her daily, and he rocks the speed6.

even though im a 6 owner myself. after driving both of his cars. the speed3 really is the better car in my eye's. the speed6 feels slow, and feels so much heavier then my fwd n/a 6. loses alot of the fun of driving it believe it or not. i def wouldnt mind a speed3 at some point. but it would have to be a 08.5-09 GT. id need those seats. lol
                            ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                            ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
                            What are you driving?

Comment

We get shafted here with the prices. I paid 32k for my speed3. In the States I'd have a EvoX, STI, or 135i for that price.

Comment

Originally posted by monoxidechild View Post
                                its a 1st gen grand touring. its a pearl white which is some special edition of something according to him. he got it so cheap cause he actually originally put money down for a speed6. then it was on the boat that sank if you remember that from a few years ago. so after having $7k cash out at the dealership, and no car after like 3 months. he went in pretty upset, and the only speed they had at the time was this white speed3. so he ended up just picking that up. (he then went ahead, and bought a dark gray speed6 a few months later) lol. now his wife drives the speed3 as her daily, and he rocks the speed6.

even though im a 6 owner myself. after driving both of his cars. the speed3 really is the better car in my eye's. the speed6 feels slow, and feels so much heavier then my fwd n/a 6. loses alot of the fun of driving it believe it or not. i def wouldnt mind a speed3 at some point. but it would have to be a 08.5-09 GT. id need those seats. lol
                                Haha, yeah I think the Pearl White models were very limited if I recall correctly. The Speed6 I know has had some major issues with the AWD system but there are some fixes... Street Unit Performance here in FL sells an in-house "stiff diff" brace for the MS6 to get more power to the back wheels, and the issue with the Speed6 is all the extra weight added and their AWD system is very front wheel biased...

I actually dont like the 08.5-09 interior much aside from the white needles in the cluster, the piano black is too glossy and gets too finger printed IMO and the black on black doesnt look as good as the gray/black combination to me... but thats just me, maybe its because im an 08 owner haha
                                '12 Ford Focus SEL

Comment

Working...
                                X