How to remove stuck CV shaft.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove stuck CV shaft.

Okay, I am still searching this out a bit more on the web but here is the problem, when doing my engine swap could not get my drivers side cv out of the tranny, so before I would get a chance to step back and asses, my friend took the pry bar and tried to nudge it out but in the process ruined the transmission seal, so when we finialy did it the right way and seperated the shaft and left the end on the tranny upon re assembly fluid started leaking out. So now we have to choice but to remove it, so I need to see whats the best, easiest and wont cause any damage.
    Thanks

P,S the swapped engine runs amazing. She is ready to go again

I think the best way is to get a large cold chizel and wedge it between the case and the axle end, then hit it up like a wedge until it pops out. be careful not to crack the case.
    2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
    1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

a large prybar and some elbow grease should do the trick. wedging the cold chisel will probably damage the case.
      91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

It helps if you can get a prybar on top and bottom of the stub axle. I've had the best luck with 2 people doing it. One from underneath and the other from the top. It also seems to come out better if both people do a coordinated push at the same time. It responds better to sudden force as opposed to prolonged steady prying.

Comment

Don't forget new axle seals, which are cheap and should be readily available.

Comment

I've had good results with a sliding weight panel puller thingie.Definately impact the pull on it,to pop it out.I do happen to have a good tranny to go with that good ex-motor of mine..Would suck to have to pull'er again though huh?Ah well the s@#t we go through for these S%$t boxes is unreal.Welcome to our world &Good luck man.

Comment

sounds real stupid.... but works like a charm.
              tie a rope around it at the end and have a buddy pull straight out on it as you hit t with a hammer. had a driveshaft that wouldnt come out, wasted a good 45 min on. tried the rope and it came out in literally 3 min.
              sigpic
              ________
              '94 MX-3
              |229,000 miles and DEAD|

SOFA
              KING

SLOW

Comment

Thanks guys, keep em coming I will try all of them tonight, and for the rope thing you , mean hit the axel back in while pulling it with the rope, also some people said you can take a punch from the other side and hammer it out, but I am afraid of the metal shavings.

Comment

i mean hitting it on the side as someone is pulling. and when i say pulling, i mean full body weight. the hammer just helps loosen it enough so the force pulling outwards can do its job.
                  sigpic
                  ________
                  '94 MX-3
                  |229,000 miles and DEAD|

SOFA
                  KING

SLOW

Comment

I've also run into the same issue quite a few times. Usually on F series trannys. I usually use a chisel or a pickle fork and wedge it, if it doesn't pop out then I turn it a little bit, keep trying after a little turn until it comes. It's a matter of getting the clip that's on the axle inside the trans.
                    -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
                    VF10 powered!
                    262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                    13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

What size pickel fork? like the ball joint tierod kind?

Comment

Well guys, fought with it for a few hours, no avail, even blew through the stub slapped the biggest slide hammer on and would no budge, so I he manned it and changed the tranny 4 hours. 2 issues, it was working okay for a bit but now the clutch pedal went down and clicked and hit the floor, and now will just fall to the floor and has no feeling car will not go into gear but can go in when its stopped? I am guessing needs adjustment, also when I test drove it clutch slipped just a bit so I am assuming that, and my center diff lock button flashes and does not engage, the vacum line is on and so is the all the connects?

Any ideas? didnt get a chance yesterday to see if it was moving or not. Will confirm tomorrow.

Comment

Diff Lock: Re-check your electrical connections. Ensure the locking shaft is turned correctly, and the teeth are engaging the gears. The 8mm or 10mm locking pin on top is installed correctly. The line is vent, not vacuum. When in doubt, whip the FSM out.

Clutch: Too many variables.
                          The clutch master / slave should be fine if you didn't mess with it (you should only need to unbolt the slave from the tranny and remove the line retaining clip, then stow it out of the way). If you ended up letting the fluid out from the system, then that is most likely the issue. This is assuming that the T.O. bearing / release fork assy. wasn't messed with and that you failed to mention that if you did.

Comment

Sounds like you need to bleed the clutch line for one. Don't know about the flashing light.
                            I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
                            |.....Overnight....................| ||
                            |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
                            |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
                            "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
                            Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

The slave cylinder exploded, I coudlnt see it in the dark, got another slave cylinder.

Comment

Working...
                              X