Difference between LX and ES?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference between LX and ES?

Hey I was just wondering what are the differences between the 2001 Mazda Protege ES and LX? I can't figure out which one I have! I know I have 2.0L

In 2001 there were only three 2.0 L Protege models: the LX, ES and the MP3. The DX and some LX models for 2001 had 1.6 L engines (the last year the 1.6 L was made for the USDM). The DX model first became available with a 2.0 L engine in 2002. Compared with the 2.0 L LX, the ES had 16" alloy wheels, 4-wheel disc brakes, fog lights, rear spoiler and some interior differences.

Edit: I had to correct the above statement I'd originally made. Subsequent research indicates that the 2001 LX was available in both 1.6 L and 2.0 L trim, not just the 1.6 L alone as I'd originally thought. Sorry for any confusion I might have caused in addition to my own.

Happy Motoring!
    Last edited by goldstar; 11-27-2010, 09:11 AM.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar View Post
      In 2001 there were only two 2.0 L Protege models: the ES and the MP3. The DX and LS models for 2001 had 1.6 L engines (the last year the 1.6 L was made for the USDM). The DX and LS models first became available with 2.0 L engines in 2002. Your ES should have 16" alloy wheels.

Happy Motoring!
      ...?
      I guess it might be a little different in Canada then. In 2001, there were (from low-end to high-end) the SE, LX, ES, ES-GT, MP3. Only the SE had the 1.6L, the rest had the 2.0L. I know because both me and my brother have 2001 Proteges (i know it's ridiculous) I've got the very basic LX, which only has the 2.0L over the base model. No fancy seats, no upgraded radio, no sunroof, no alloys, no spoiler, no colour-matched door handles and side trim, no cruise control. My brother on the other hand has the ES-GT; basically exactly my car mechanically, but fully equipped. Mine's better 'cause it has a roof rack, lower kilometers and will have stiffer motor mounts by the end of this weekend.

I've never seen any DX/LS models here.

Comment

Originally posted by worth_fixing View Post
        ...?
        I guess it might be a little different in Canada then. In 2001, there were (from low-end to high-end) the SE, LX, ES, ES-GT, MP3. Only the SE had the 1.6L, the rest had the 2.0L. I know because both me and my brother have 2001 Proteges (i know it's ridiculous) I've got the very basic LX, which only has the 2.0L over the base model. No fancy seats, no upgraded radio, no sunroof, no alloys, no spoiler, no colour-matched door handles and side trim, no cruise control. My brother on the other hand has the ES-GT; basically exactly my car mechanically, but fully equipped. Mine's better 'cause it has a roof rack, lower kilometers and will have stiffer motor mounts by the end of this weekend.

I've never seen any DX/LS models here.
        After I made the corrections noted above in post #2, the US and Canadian model differences change somewhat. We never had an SE or an ES-GT in the US. We never had an LS model in the US either. That was a mistake on my part as I meant to type LX.

Happy Motoring!
        Last edited by goldstar; 11-27-2010, 09:09 AM.
        02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
        MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
        MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
        MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
        Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
        Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
        Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
        Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
        Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
        Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
        Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

So I guess that means I have the LX then because mine doesn't have a spoiler and it has 15" rims and rear drum brakes.

Comment

Working...
          X