Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2003 MazdaSpeed Protege engine swap to a 2002 Mazda Protege?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 MazdaSpeed Protege engine swap to a 2002 Mazda Protege?

*i did some searching, saw a thread like this, but didn't see anything about an engine with a turbo.*

recently my car started knocking, and i need to replace the engine. i told my mechanic i'd try to find something that fits, but i'm having a hard time finding the exact engine i had before. i DID, however, find a 2003 MazdaSpeed protege engine for $1300, which is in my price range. i drive a 2002 Mazda Protege ES. will this engine fit in my car? i'd be very happy if this is possible for under 2 grand, the 40HP boost and the acceleration boost would be nice. will i also need to install an intercooler, or what's the deal? thanks in advance. - Matt

ps - first post! haha

Yes, the MSP engine (the FS-DET) will easily fit in place of the normally aspirated (FS-DE) engine since aside from the Turbo the engines are essentially the same. The #3 engine mount should be replaced with the more rigid one from the MSP. Also of course you'll need the turbo PCM. Additionally, the MSP included a water-cooled oil cooler assembly that fits between the block and the stock oil filter. Since the MSP used an intercooler you'll need one also. The MSP used a front mount IC with a smaller water radiator to allow it to fit. IMO this was a weak point of the MSP design. It would be better to retain your stock radiator and figure out how to fit an aftermarket IC.

The transmission was fitted with a Tochigi-Fuji Sangyo limited slip differential and the driveshaft diameter was increased to 24 mm (stock, I believe, was 22 mm).

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Working...
    X