GTX Shifter Cable Installation help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTX Shifter Cable Installation help

I have an 88 GTX that I am ice racing. I just got the car and I am working out a few neglected items. Last weekend the shifter cable broke at the fire wall and I lost 2nd and 4th gear. I have a new shifter cable on its way and the old one is off. My question is what are the steps to install the new one? Is it as simple as manually putting the tranny in first gear, then put the shifter in first then hook up the cables? Any tricks to adjusting the new cables for smooth shifting? Thanks for the help.

Here is a shot of the car in action last weekend.

its super easy dude, there is only one way it can go together, put the cable on the shifter, put it in any gear position, and then move the levers on the tranny until they will go together, its not possible to do it wrong. dont lose any sleep over it

Comment

Thanks for the help. I am going to give it a go tonight!! I also found this manual which looks like they want you to put it in nuetral to start.

Comment

im curious as to where you found the new cables?
        dealer? i've never looked, but i'd like to know in case mine ever broke

Comment

Cables went on smooth as you described and the car is shifting perfect!! It is going back to the track this weekend. I found the cables at a dealer here in Canada. According to the dealer, I got the last set in Canada. There are two sets in a US Mazda warehouse somewhere!!

Comment

I wanna see videos of your ice racing!

Comment

Here is a link to a race last weekend. It is shot from the car behind me, but gives you a good idea of what we are up to!! We are running a spec Menard race stud tire. Speeds hit around 120Kph on the front straight.. There are two other GTX's racing in this series as well. They are not in the video though.

Comment

That's looks like way too much fun! Thanks for posting the link. You probably don't remember me, but I worked for Silent Sports about 10 years ago. My GTX would have been parked outside most days...

- Paul.
                1988 323 GTX
                2009 Mazda 5

Comment

i did the shifter cables on my gtx a month before i sold it. brand new from mazda. i thought they were a bit of a pain to get through the firewall, but otherwise straight forward.
                  1988 323 GTX - 16psi Daily

Comment

You're gtx-less now?

Comment

yup. theyre both gone. i picked up a 91 miata. i plan on doing a lot of autox/lapping and theres just so much more aftermarket/used part support for miata's. i still often view the forum to see how peoples projects are/offer small bits of insight, and also to check for any b6 goodies. /endthreadjack
                      1988 323 GTX - 16psi Daily

Comment

Working...
                      X