BloodySpirit058's Worklog 95 dx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BloodySpirit058's Worklog 95 dx

well i figured its time to start a worklog thread, if things work out should be able to do some interesting stuff in a bit.

alrighty, to start this off, my 96 was involved in a "i hit the brakes and it just slid into the car that pulled out in front of me" wreck (no, i was not driving it...and no, neither the 95 or 96 dx's i have, have ABS)

so i drove it around for a bit, than found the 95 on craigs list, runs but doesn't move... manual, no AC manual windows.... besides the non moving part sounds like my kinda car, so i go look at it, way better condidtion than my old one, couple dings behind the rear right door, thats really about it.

so thinking its the transmission i start tearing things out and the left axle just falls out with the tranny side still in the car... ok, well i lucked out, its just an axle... so i get a reman'd axle and throw it in. tons of clanging later i realize i was correct with my first hypothesis and it is the tranny, i'm guessing spiders or final drive gear as the tires are not connected really in any way.

so i picked up a tranny today, sorry no pics for right this sec, i get to excited to start working i forget to take pics, it had a slave cylinder and sensors on it, i guess they are from a 97 and i can already tell some of them look a little different but switching back to the originals should be no problem, pics in the morning

(the car isn't as dirty as it looks, it was just extremely dark and the camera didn't like it)
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    96 protege dx - gone :'(
    94 Mustang Gt - Became one with a deer
    02 dodge 1500 - CAI, random aftermarket exhaust
    95 protege dx - now derivable, my new project

Originally posted by firelizard
    I'm going to go take a bath in $10 bills after my mom makes me a PB&J.
    Me: just wondering if that was a 2500 and if it was a diesel
    Class mate 1: it wasn't mine, but i think it mighta been a 1 ton and ya it was a diesel
    Class mate 2: no way, that truck was way to big to be a 1 ton...

Yay, more second gen work! Hope everything goes well for you.

Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

so apparently the whole two objects can not share the same place applys to shift linkage and exhaust componets as well... so while i'm taking a brake from beating everything with a hammer some more pics

oh ya, and the last picture reminded me, the left axle is still stuck in there... never had a problem getting them out, but a 3 ft prybar wont do it... i'm ready to hook it up to my truck and pull it
      Attached Files
      sigpic

Class mate 1: it wasn't mine, but i think it mighta been a 1 ton and ya it was a diesel

Comment

so just a tiny bit of updated news, got the tranny out with the left axle still in it (don't ask how) than a short pry bar with constant pressure and a broken screw driver through the dif i was able to get it out. It's slow going but should have it working by next weekend
        sigpic

Comment

just a small update, tranny and axles back in, i got some new ball joints, not only were they stiff as hell, but both had random (not even close to oem) bolts half holding them on (they were tight, but the bolt and nut didn't really go together and it didn't seem all that safe) so i got the cheap red box ones through carquest with mounting hardware.

i have a question though, anyone know what the sensor on the front of the transmission is? has a large white connector, i know my 96 has it cause i've had to zip tie it up outa the way, but the 95 had it ripped all the way off and i see the wires hangin down by the fender and the new tranny came with the sensor and connector... so i was wondering what it is before i either ignore it or wire it back up wrong
          Attached Files
          sigpic

Comment

Reverse sensor. was your car originally an automatic?
            -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
            VF10 powered!
            262 Whp & 257 Wtq
            13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
              Reverse sensor. was your car originally an automatic?
              no, i know on my 96 that the plastic thing broke and it hung low, the sensor in the original tranny had the wires missing a long time ago (no visable wires at the sensor but it was covered in dirt) and i see the green wires by the air box inside the left fender, i'm guessing the connector just came unmounted and snagged on something.

EDIT: well i take that back, i just got the car and i'm assuming it was orginally a manual, but it also has like 192k on it, so i'm not sure what has and hasn't been done on it.
              sigpic

Comment

What's the 4th number in the VIN after the 5 letters? Basically the 9th digit in the VIN. I think if it's a 5 then the car was built as an automatic, a 2 means it was built as a manual.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

it is a 4...
                  sigpic

Comment

Hmm, looks like I'm wrong. This is where I got my information about the VIN decoding.

Comment

well i got some new parts and got everything put back together, problem is i started the car and with the clutch in something is making a noise like something in a fan, but since its a electric fan and its freezing outside, i don't think it was on.

but all except for that little setback its together and after i find the noise ill make sure the tranny is actually working

pics for now:
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by bloodyspirit058; 03-11-2011, 10:09 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Nice! 2.5 gen garnish. Now you need the JDM tail lights to make the rear look right.

Comment

well it made a couple funny noises but they went away, the car drives fine, little wobbly on the front end, but since the right side of the front sway bar is not hooked up it doesn't surprise me.

engine idles a little crappy, but it hasn't really ran in over 2 months and the previous owners said they didn't know much about cars. i'm gunna need a coolant reservoir cap (was some random radiator cap on there before :S) actually i'm gunna need some other stuff, should start making a list

so as long as things stay on track, 1.8L should be purchased some time in 2-3 weeks

ok, list as of right now:

coolant reservoir cap
                          sway arm mount bushing (correct term?)
                          brakes (dunno how the back looks so far, would like 4 disk swap)
                          passenger door mirror
                          shift boot
                          jdm rear corners

ne one think of anything else? i've been doing the whole "its almost finals week" stuff for school so im sure i've forgotten to look at something

will probably have a separate list for stuff that will come with new engine: plugs wires, rad hoses ect
                          Last edited by bloodyspirit058; 03-13-2011, 03:45 PM. Reason: added more stuffs
                          sigpic

Comment

Do you mean the sway bar end link?

Comment

well here is a pic, i'm sure you can spot the broken part
                              Attached Files
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X