No announcement yet.

alignment is off, torque steer, new poly bushings installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If its a manual transmission and the cv shaft popped out, it's trans fluid. Check all the levels on the car and that should be your answer.

Make sure they are not tightening the bolts until it is resting on a flat surface. DO NOT tighten them when the front tires are off the ground.
    Last edited by Raider9864; 04-23-2011, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by meGrimlock View Post
      this would explain the pull...

dont know which fluid that is. i assumed it was brake fluid but the resevoir is full and the pedal returns. my next guess is transmission fluid. couldnt move any more, no steering or forward/reverse gears.

my mom and dad were in the car when it happened. pretty loud noise from the wheel well and my mom totally freaked. my dad found this bolt a few meters behind the car. you can see the tire tracks on the street from when this occured and i managed to direct it towards the closest intersection and as far off the road as possible.
      Thats never good!

Comment

any updates on this? that's rough stuff man makes me want to pull all my bolts out and locktite them now lol, I have poly bushings installed on my car as well, but I TQd the bolts to spec, and will be after a few miles of driving.
        -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

As reading form the OP I was thinking that it was the control arm loose.
          Sucks that you figured it out the hard way...
          I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
          |.....Overnight....................| ||
          |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
          |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
          "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
          Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

It looks like the bolt was improperly torqued. The bushing kit would not cause the bolt to back out as such. Remember to top off your transmission fluid as it has now drained out through the axle hole.

Comment

i got it back from the shop that did the work. they said they were sorry about the bolt, retorqued the bolt on both sides for good measure, reinstalled the right half shaft. they replaced a broken fender linder (albeit with the WRONG part), and refilled the transmission fluid. they took responsibility and didnt charge me anything so i guess they tried to make it right. i'm never going back to that shop again though.

as i've driven it a couple days now, my steering wheel is cocked to the left but theres none of that pull i experienced before, so i assume there is still an alignment issue.

the car is a bit noisier too. this is over the increased NVH from the polyurethane bushings and def not engine noise. there is a bit more road noise, and there seems to be a bit more noise under the hood in general. its like a constant groan. not clicking, not a high pitched squeel, its not a creaking noise and there are no vibrations. one thing i noticed this morning was when i make a LEFT turn, the noise gets louder. when the wheel returns to center the noise goes away.

i just took a few minutes during lunch to drive around the parking garage in circles. in neutral and the car is moving i dont hear it as much, but in gear when the car is moving it is definitely more audible. i wonder if its the power steering or the half shaft that was put back in.
              Last edited by meGrimlock; 05-02-2011, 09:02 AM. Reason: describing noise

Comment

a bump and an update. the noise has gotten progressively louder since i've gotten the car back. i swapped my front and rear wheels to see if its a tire issue and the noise remains. it seriously sounds like a cessna propeller airplane is under my car.

the noise is most audible between 25mph and 45mph. 50mph+ and road noise/engine noise sort of covers it up but you can hear its still there.

i dont want to bring the car back to this shop (as i've lost all confidence in them) but i also have no idea how to troubleshoot or fix this issue. in another forum, a member commented that it might be the wheel bearing. any thoughts before i bring it back to the shop?
                -meGrimlock

Comment

sounds like a wheel bearing to me for the noise, but for the steering wheel being crooked...if the car is driving straight and the wheel doesn't jerk around...you can probably take the wheel off the column and move the wheel so it's straight lol I did that to my 626. It was off by about 1/4" on the one side, so it took about 20 mins to fit.
                  -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                  http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                  http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Sounds like a bearing to me as well. I'd say the left front because that where you had problems, but without hearing it I am not 100% sure. I have heard cars have bad bearings when loading or unloading either side, so I am not sure how these cars are.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda_Powered View Post
                      sounds like a wheel bearing to me for the noise, but for the steering wheel being crooked...if the car is driving straight and the wheel doesn't jerk around...you can probably take the wheel off the column and move the wheel so it's straight lol I did that to my 626. It was off by about 1/4" on the one side, so it took about 20 mins to fit.
                      i've removed and installed the steering on the car before. if there is an alignment issue, that wont fix it though and my tires would get bad wear over time anyway

im calling to make an apt for friday. i will be out of town so i wont need my car and hopefully they can take a look. reading online in other forums it appears bearings go bad around this time anyway (i have just under 98,000 mi) but i hope they'll cover it. thanks for everyone's advice and i will update this thread.

update 5/16/2011: shop test drove it with me. they could hear the noise when turning left. up on the lift they had the car in gear and the wheels in motion. with a stethoscope you can hear the grinding of the bearings. when they stopped the opposite wheel, the load would be on the problem wheel and the grinding would be louder.

the bearing (originally they needed the whole hub assembly but later were able to do just the bearing) was replaced for the cost of parts. they are eating the labor as a gesture to accomodate what happened earlier.
                      Last edited by meGrimlock; 05-18-2011, 10:07 AM. Reason: update on fix

Comment

today the shop replaced the left wheel bearing again. is there another part damaged by this event that could cause premature bearing failure?

Comment

same wheel bearing replaced again. this time they replaced the hub too. another $400, hopefully this will be the last time.

Comment

are they pressing in the wheel bearings properly?

is the alignment actually true?? a bad alignment will eat wheelbearings an a phenomenal rate
                            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

alignment has never been an issue, i've had it checked multiple times and it drives straight. the mechanic said bearings fail because of faulty bearings, faulty installation, or curb/pothole damage. i've had the bearings done at multiple shops by different mechanics, and the common factor is me.

Comment

Working...
                              X