Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andrew's GTX Build

Just thought I would do this right and start my own worklog :D

I picked up my GTX about 2 weeks ago for $600. The PO claims that the car has bad compression. He gave me a complete head w/ Cams and a block for the car. My plan is to rebuild the motor and clean it up real nice and make it my daily driver instead of my Chevelle which gets 7mpg :/

Yesterday I got a good amount of work done. The motor is almost ready to come out. Just gotta undo the motor mounts and the bellhousing bolts and she should come right out

I have some pictures which I shall post up in a little bit.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    1988 323 GTX - "Miss Becky" - VJ-11, Autometer Sport Comp boost gauge, Sachs Clutch, K&N Air Filter. Freshly rebuilt engine with Clevite Bearings, Fel-Pro Gaskets and NGKs, 2.5" Exhaust from turbo back with a Turbo muffler.

1970 Chevelle SS - "Krista"/"ALMYDOE" - restored from the ground up, 350/350, lowered 2" frnt 1" rear, flowmaster 40 series, Holley Street Avenger, GMPP intake, American Racing Torqlites. (Ported and Polished ZZ4 Aluminum Heads coming soon)

And on the first day the Lord said let there be pics!!

Here she is coming home and my buddy Glen in the background:

In the shop going nose to nose with a '69 Camaro

The rest of the shop :D

Interior

all sorts of parts

Almost ready to come out
    Last edited by chevyboy_0; 03-20-2011, 01:34 PM.
    1988 323 GTX - "Miss Becky" - VJ-11, Autometer Sport Comp boost gauge, Sachs Clutch, K&N Air Filter. Freshly rebuilt engine with Clevite Bearings, Fel-Pro Gaskets and NGKs, 2.5" Exhaust from turbo back with a Turbo muffler.

1970 Chevelle SS - "Krista"/"ALMYDOE" - restored from the ground up, 350/350, lowered 2" frnt 1" rear, flowmaster 40 series, Holley Street Avenger, GMPP intake, American Racing Torqlites. (Ported and Polished ZZ4 Aluminum Heads coming soon)

Comment

i like the name. i still am unable to decide on a name.

Comment

Mine is named Ethyl. Old and ugly girl but has more than you would expect. Bonus for the relation to gasoline.
        '88 GTX

Comment

UPDATE: I found a B6 on craigslist today out of a 93 Miata for $150 with 125,000 on it. Currently on my way to go get

Comment

nice score on the GTX! looks pretty clean
            -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

You're in Livermore? Carlota has two GTXs in San Jose, Jason has one in Fremont, one or two more in SF, and Craig and I each have one in Santa Cruz.

If you need some help, or parts, just give me a shout.

Comment

Alright thanks I went and picked up a 93 B6 out of a Miata in Martinez. It looks like its in good shape but im gonna pull the rods and low comp pistons out of my B6T and re ring everything and make it all sexy like with some high temp Chevy Orange or IH red

Comment

Oh, and I come down most years for the ALMS race.

1988 White GTX - #1 parts
                  1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead
                  1988 Blue GTX - #3 in progress (view here)
                  1988 Blue GTX - #4 BPT swapped weekend warrior.
                  1988 White GTX - #5 Rally car

Comment

Well it sounds like were going to have to go on a cruise when I get this thing running again

Comment

UPDATE: So after a bit more digging I decided to sell the B6 I bought and just rebuild the one that's in the car. So I ordered gaskets last night and im gonna get some new rings next week and hopefully have her all slapped together by the end of the month :D

Comment

UPDATE: this weekend was a productive weekend, I got the motor out and cleaned up some, cleaned the new head and prepped it to go on permanently. I now need to order some new rings, bearings and a clutch and put her all back together.

It looks like the rings were toast in #3 and 4.

And just for fun look what we painted this week :D

Comment

The cylinder walls look pretty good. No bad markings. Love the ol' CVCC. What engine are you going to drop in it?

I always wanted one of those. Love the built-in scoops on the hood.

Comment

Its actually a customers car, it has the original 1.5L in it. And had 124xxx miles on it documented with service records. Its pretty cool. I can't wait to see it when he's done with it.

Comment

Reminds me to get my bumpers painted, damnit.

Comment

Working...
                              X