No announcement yet.

My 2002 KLZE Protege 5, kl to kj swap thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So tonight i did some minor tedious crap, pulled the KL harness out, stripped the pass. side of the engine bay and threw down a quick coat of paint, it's not pretty but at least it doesn't stand out as bad as the yellow lol

And i have this in mind for the badges on the back

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Lookin' good. I think I remember reading that newer KL's had a different jack shaft. There might be one that bolts up. I may be completely mistaken however.
      sigpic
      1992 Familia GT-X
      1988 323 GTX
      2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
      2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
        Another difference i spotted was that the mounting holes for the intermediate shaft does not match up, i have to wait til the tranny is bolted to the KJ to find out for sure, but at the moment it looks like only 1 of 2 bolts holes will line up, but thats a minor detail since i can just make an adapter bracket like i had to do with the festiva
        there are 2 different style jackshafts for the KL, a 3 bolt and a 2 bolt, both interchangewith the KL tranny and its a commonly visited subject for people doing ZE swaps in there DE cars.
        "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
        -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
        *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
        172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
        New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Hmm that's good to know, thanks I'll look into that for sure

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

yup. im willing to bet your gonna need the other half shaft. like MD323 said. its really common for people even just doing a KL motor swap to run into the same issue.

post a WTB on mx6.com or PT. it should be pretty easy to find.
            ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
            ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
            What are you driving?

Comment

Ya if need be i will post a WTB ad, i'm just checking with a few friends first to see if i can't get one for dirt cheap haha

Do you guys know if the int. shaft between an auto and 5 speed probe the same? a friend of mine is parting out a 95' auto probe gt

Comment

i dont believe they are the same but im not 100% i always been told too look for the 5 speed ones
                "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Ya i agree that it's not likely they are the same, it's just i can get that one for dirt cheap, so i may ask him for it to try out, and if it doesn't work, i can just give it back to him

Comment

Here's some comparison pics

The back of the KL block where the int. shaft bolts to

And the back of the KJ

Last edited by Damkid; 10-14-2011, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Well the other day i decided to put the battery in the P5 to see if the power draw is still there now that the motor is out, i left it for a day and the battery did not die at all

So i'm figuring it was probably the alternator that was draining the battery, so i'm happy that's finally solved

Comment

Comment

oooooooooooo black. still have a few spots or yellow poking about on the firewall. whens the motor going in?
                          91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

Ya i didn't feel like pulling the insulation crap off the firewall to get that little bit of yellow lol i figure it'll get hidden by the motor anyway lol

As for when am i going to drop the motor in....... yesterday i was going to get the tranny bolted to the KJ and get it ready to go in, but my brother had a minor crash yesterday so my garage time was cut short

Here's the damage...... i should be able to get it back on the road, but it won't look as nice though lol

So hopefully this week i'll get back out to the garage to get the KJ ready to go in, and maybe by the weekend i'll get the motor dropped in and start hooking things up

Comment

looks like a new left rear suspension going in, you just changing the complete rear suspension and subframe with one from the wreckers or just changing whats needed
                              91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

Not sure yet, gotta see what my brothers budget is first, it'd be ideal to get a parts car since part of the window channel on the pass. side got damaged and will most likely interfere with new glass (passenger window got smashed as well)

I haven't had a chance to see the damage in the rear, most likely just the lateral? (the front to back one) bar needs to be replaced, a new rear rim and basically a passenger door and it "should" be good to go

Sad part is, my parents bought the car brand new in 01' and just gave it to my brother in the spring, oh well lol

Comment

Working...
                                X