No announcement yet.

WONT START - Car has no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to test to see if I am getting a crank signal?

The crank sensors from the motors are the same exact sensors. What wheel are you talking about not being positioned right?

I have removed the reinstalled the CKP sensor many times since this problem has arisen, also have switched it out with the one from the motor which threw the rod.

it getting just barely enough signal for it to fire every now and then would have made sense because it was running really rough (dont know if that was because fuel, or spark) and now no signal at all?

After pulling a spark plug on cylinder 1, I did noticed that there is about 1/16" of gasoline on the top of the piston? Should there be that much gas on the piston? And that the spark plugs were wet with fuel as well.

spark plugs may need to be replaced but that isnt to say that the spark plugs are the problem because I tested a screwdriver in place of the plug and there still was no spark

Comment

check your signals during cranking not just on/off key positions.
      you'll need to drain your oil once it does run, too much gas in the cylinders will wash by & get into your oil.
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Pull all of the spark plugs and let the engine air out for a few hours. I'd hit the plugs with a bit of carb cleaner too, then let them dry. While you're doing that, recheck every single fuse in the car visually to make sure they haven't popped. Then, make sure everything's plugged in again. I know, you've already done that, but do it again anyway. Something simple like that's happened to me before. Then, check for a short to ground near any wires leading to the things that aren't working (coils and pump). Also, if there are any splices in the wiring to either of those, make sure they are connected and not corroded.
        1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

lol woops, i thought i clicked on 2nd gen... was wondering... ne way, if the 3rd gens are anything like the 2nd or even a 96 kia bp (had the same thing on it) there is a flat round metal disk that sits behind the crank pulley, the sensor reads the little bumps on it, if the sensor is to far away, it won't get good signals, also if its to close it could cause some bad things... i know on the 2nd gen its a 4 signal wheel, not sure what the 3rd gens look like
          sigpic
          96 protege dx - gone :'(
          94 Mustang Gt - Became one with a deer
          02 dodge 1500 - CAI, random aftermarket exhaust
          95 protege dx - now derivable, my new project

Originally posted by firelizard
          I'm going to go take a bath in $10 bills after my mom makes me a PB&J.
          Me: just wondering if that was a 2500 and if it was a diesel
          Class mate 1: it wasn't mine, but i think it mighta been a 1 ton and ya it was a diesel
          Class mate 2: no way, that truck was way to big to be a 1 ton...

Comment

3rd gen has a wheel with spikes on it and a keyed section for the sensor to know the position of the crank.

Comment

This one has the flat disk with spikes on it. But I don't know why all of a sudden I would lose spark, it had spark before and then all of a sudden nothing.

Like I said, all I did before I noticed that there was no spark was take the valve cover off. I know that it was running really rough before when I did start it, but I don't know if that was fuel related, or because the spark was not consistent.

Comment

Only things really related to the ignition if you only pulled the valve cover off would be the camshaft position sensor and the coils. Maybe something in one of the harnesses gave out when disconnecting them.

Comment

did u get it running yet? my 99 1.8 has the same no spark no fule issue. It over heated and no worky since then. maybe pcm?

Comment

Sorry to all, I have been in the process of relocating and am just now getting back to the Mazda. I should be moving the car over to the new garage within the next week and will be getting back to working on it.

I still have not solved this problem. But I did put in a new crankshaft position sensor and got no results. Next will be a camshaft sensor

Comment

Fix It Yet

Originally posted by sexton View Post
                      Sorry to all, I have been in the process of relocating and am just now getting back to the Mazda. I should be moving the car over to the new garage within the next week and will be getting back to working on it.

I still have not solved this problem. But I did put in a new crankshaft position sensor and got no results. Next will be a camshaft sensor
                      So I am having the same problem with my friends 2003 Mazda Protege.... Motor ran when i drove it in the garage but had a rod knock. 2.0 M/T replaced it with a Jap 30k motor 2.0 A/T. Swapped over the intake/exhaust manifolds along with all the censors from the old motor. No Spark and No Fuel!

I too have swapped out both the main and the fuel relay. No luck so far... I pulled the fuel pump and put direct power to it and it works fine...

Only thing I can think of now is about $5 in gas, and a Mazda Bonfire?

Comment

have you checked all grounds???
                        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                          have you checked all grounds???
                          Yes I have checked all the grounds. I need more of an expert response to this problem as Sexton is also trying to over come the same problem. My next step is to pull the motor again and start over. Not sure what that will accomplish but its worth a try.

Comment

check the fuses. i had the ecu fuse pop a couple times cause a wire grounded out.

Comment

Any news on this?? I have the same issue going on :/

Comment

Working...
                              X