Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OBD ii or OBD i? Check Engin Light Stays on, 1995

Hey There,

Not sure if this is the right thread, but my 95 protege wont pass smog either.

I have tried shorting the Gnd and TEN, but the Check engine light will not blink. Does anyone know why this will not work? The check engine light just stays on. I put ignition to the ON position, but the light stays solid.

I have power to the OBDII port, as I measured 5-6Vdc. Does anyone know of any other tricks? My mechanic says I dont have power there and there adapter will not connect. Should I buy my own OBD reader?

Thanks for your help! this forum is awesome!

95 should be OBDI and if your light does not blink it has no stored codes...
    2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
    1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

I think he said the light stays on. And why would you short ten and ground? I've only heard of doing that to change the idle. I'm quite confused by the description, there seems to be a lot going on and unorganized.

Not passing smog? Bad catalytic converter? Bad O2 sensors?

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk.

Comment

if you jump ten and ground with the car off and the key forward but not the engine running it will blink a number of times and that will display the codes if they are there.
        2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
        1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

The Check Engine light is on during normal operating. The car runs fine, and no stutters. The only thing, the light just stays on, and I cannot clear it. Without clearing it, California will not pass smog for me.

I have tried jumping the pins, and then turning the car on, however, the light stays on. Every one says that the codes should blink, but after jumping these pins, and turning the key ON, it will not blink.

Am I doing something Wrong? Is there something bigger thats the problem?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

I guess to Clarify, Why will the Check Engine Light not blink?

Comment

Can you pull the bulb out and have it inspected or will they fail it for that?

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk.

Comment

It will not pass smog, they will fail me for having no Check Engine bulb.

Already thought of that, but in California its really strict!

Comment

It sounds to me like the computer doesnt have backup power.In my wiring diagram for 95
                  it shows the "room fuse" 15 amp as the power supply that says constant after the ign is turned off.This circuit is how the computer remembers its history.If the fuse or circuit is faulty then each time you turn the car off,the ecu resets.The ecu knows it has no power on that circuit and will make the MIL light come on with no codes..There wont be any codes because there may be no issues to flag the computer.If the fuse is good you will need to check power at the computer itself.
                  I may be wrong here,but this is worth checking.
                  Keep in mind the ECM could be defective.
                  Powered by ACME

Comment

Thanks!

I will check that. I think I remember not seeing a fuse in the ROOM slot. Is there something else this might not be powering?

Comment

The room fuse powers :
                      Computer back up power supply
                      Clock
                      Audio system
                      Spot lights/interior lights/Courtesy lights
                      Trunk compartment light
                      CPU (not the engine computer)