Help! EGR Removal on a 2000 and IAC Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! EGR Removal on a 2000 and IAC Question

I searched around and people are making it seem pretty easy to remove the EGR valve on the 2000 Protege. I must be missing something, because I can't get any tools up there.

Is there a trick to this?

Also, my car suffers from high idle when I come to a stop (only once the car is warm). It will go back to normal if I give the gas pedal a quick punch. If I stopped the coolant from traveling through, would this help solve the problem? Would lightly sanding the piston help prevent it from sticking?

The car is a beater, so I am not prepared to pay the cash on new valves.

Thanks for any help on this.

refinishing the valve will help in preventing it sticking. Ideally cleaning out the whole system is the way to go.
    I dont have personal experience dissasembling the EGR valve assembly & minimal experience removing the EGR system/intake manifold/etc.
    I can however get you diagrams if need be- just ask
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I was finally able to get a wrench in there to remove the EGR valve. When I got it off, it was frozen SOLID. I don't think a cleaning is going to work on that. I just recently passed my emissions test with flying colours, so I am not too worried about it.

I will keep playing with the IAC, since that seems to be what is causing me the issues. The low idle is fine, it just won't come down from 2500-3000 rpm idle once it is warm.

The fun continues!

Comment

break it free & clean it up. im sure it will help out.

EGR is the factory's GHETTO way of inducing exhaust gas to increase timing/ reduce some emmissions.
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
        X