This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mazda's New Engines: SkyActiv-G and D

The SkyActiv-G, in its 2.0 L form, is a gasoline-powered, direct injection engine scheduled to launch in the 2012 MY in the 3 and/or the 6. In the future, additional versions from 1.3 to 2.5 L displacement are planned. There is also a diesel powered version of the engine, the SkyActiv-D, that will not be discussed by me in this thread, since as yet I have little information about its specs.

SkyActiv-G 2.0 L Engine
    The new JDM engine will have a CR of 14:1, compared with the current MZR 2.0 L engine's 11:1 and will require premium grade (91 oct) gasoline. The USDM engine will have a CR of 13:1 compared with the current 3's 10:1, thus permitting the use of regular grade fuel. This substantial increase in thermal efficiency leads to increased power output and decreased fuel consumption. However, the increased heat build-up from this high CR would normally result in pre-ignition and destructive detonation. In order to reduce the combustion temperature to a manageable level, Mazda utilizes an extremely long 4-into-2-into-1 exhaust header designed to prevent the hot exhaust gases from getting pulled back into the combustion chamber during the next cylinder's intake stroke.

While reducing the combustion temperature to eliminate detonation, at the same time engine heat loss is minimized by using a smaller bore and a much more complex piston shape compared with the current 2.0 L engine to increase overall efficiency. To aid in this effort, a cavity is placed directly in the piston's center just under the hot area where the spark plug fires. This has the effect of ensuring a shorter combustion time and suppresses the impact on power and torque from engine knocking. Additionally, multi-hole injectors are employed to improve fuel spray characteristics.

Friction has also been reduced in the pistons, rods and crankshaft which is now forged steel instead of cast iron. To further reduce friction, roller finger followers are used in the valvetrain along with 0W-20 engine oil.

The Sky is also fitted with dual sequential, variable valve timing, reducing pumping losses and electronically controlled on the intake side so that rapid adjustments can be made even during cold starts.

With respect to the current 2.0 L engine, overall weight has been reduced by about 15 lbs, including 10 saved by thinning out the block where additional strength wasn't needed.

How does the Sky engine compare with the current Mazda3 MZR type? The figures are tabulated below and, as is my usual custom, I calculated the BMEPs at max BHP and max torque for the two engines since from an engineering standpoint this provides the most thorough, comprehensive and meaningful measure of comparative engine performance. For more information, go to:

________________ 2011 Mazda3 2.0 L ________ 2012 SkyActiv 2.0 L
    BHP _____________ 148 @ 6,500 rpm* __________ 155 @ 6,000 rpm
    Torque ___________ 135 @4,500 rpm* __________ 148 @ 4,100 rpm
    Hwy MPG ____________ 30 mpg __________________ 39-40 mpg
    BMEP (Max BHP) ______ 148 psi ___________________ 168 psi
    BMEP (Max Torque) ___ 166 psi ___________________ 184 psi

* Non-PZEV (Partial Zero Emission Vehicle) engines. For an explanation, go to:

Note the substantial increase in BMEPs between the two engines undoubtedly primarily due to the increased CR in the SkyActiv engine. This is even more significant since the BMEPs of the MZR 2.0 L and 2.5 L engines used in the 2011 3 are essentially the same.

Remarks
    Some of these details, specs and figures may be subject to change in respect to the actual production models. The new engine will be available as an option in the 2012 3 as the current MZR 2.0 L engine will still be available. Additionally, although previously only available with the MZR 2.5 L engine, the 2012 3 five-door hatchback will now also be offered with the SkyActiv-G 2.0 L engine, although weight and aerodynamic differences will yield slightly higher fuel consumption (~ 38 mpg). As yet, I don't have a firm grasp of all the technical details of the new engine so excuse my rather sketchy description. Those of you who have more information please add to the material here and/or correct any details I may have gotten wrong. I want to apologize in advance for any incorrect info I may inadvertantly disseminate.

The good news for we performance oriented drivers is that the new engine will be available with a 6-speed M/T as well as a 6-speed ATX. The ATX is said to incorporate the features of a continuously variable transmission (CVT) and a dual clutch as well as a torque converter with a lock-up clutch to ensure a minimal decrease in fuel economy and to provide a more direct driving feel.

The MTX is based on the current 6-speed now only available with the MZR 2.5 L or the MZR 2.3 L DISI turbo engine. To create a more responsive and sporty feel, the shift lever stroke was shortened by ~ 10 % and a number of internal modifications were made including locating 2nd and 3rd gear on a common shaft. Due to the reconfiguration enabling fewer components, the weight was reduced by ~ 4.4 lbs.

For more information, and photos, go to:
    http://www.mazda.com/mazdaspirit/sky...kyactiv-g.html.

Happy Motoring!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by goldstar; 08-14-2011, 02:06 PM.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Gad I hope they come up with a better marketing name than that...
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

I heard it was launching in the 2012 CX-5 then coming in the facelifted, 2012 MY Mazda3. The transmissions, chassis, and suspension are also part of the SkyActiv program. Also, I believe they are bringing to SkyActiv-D engine the the US as their first diesel offering. I read somewhere that these new engines will replace the current MZR, with Ford continuing to use the MZR under their Duratec nameplate.

If I think of anything I forgot, I will add to this thread. As a side note, this is just information I read online and some from a video released by Mazda about the SkyActiv products, so not all my information may be 100% correct.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk.

Edit: Just noticed were not discussing the SkyActiv-D in this thread. My apologies.
      Last edited by irishkev90; 08-11-2011, 09:58 PM. Reason: Reading too fast.

Comment

Originally posted by irishkev90 View Post
        I heard it was launching in the 2012 CX-5 then coming in the facelifted, 2012 MY Mazda3. The transmissions, chassis, and suspension are also part of the SkyActiv program. Also, I believe they are bringing to SkyActiv-D engine the the US as their first diesel offering. I read somewhere that these new engines will replace the current MZR, with Ford continuing to use the MZR under their Duratec nameplate.

If I think of anything I forgot, I will add to this thread. As a side note, this is just information I read online and some from a video released by Mazda about the SkyActiv products, so not all my information may be 100% correct.

Edit: Just noticed were not discussing the SkyActiv-D in this thread. My apologies.
        Thanks for the additional information. Please feel free to discuss the SkyActiv-D in this thread if you're so inclined. I just meant that I wouldn't discuss it because I felt I didn't know enough about it to do the subject justice. Since, as you point out, Mazda plans to bring the D to the US, we certainly ought to know more about it.

Happy Motoring!
        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

All I know about it right now is that it will have the same 14:1 CR and the Sky-G. When I find out more I'll be sure to add to this.

Comment

Man direct injection is neato. 14:1 used to be a race motor running on race gas.
            '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.

Comment

According to Motor Trend, the SkyActiv-D will produce between 160-180 hp and 310-340 lb-ft of torque. Though, final numbers for the diesel have not yet been released. It should also easily achieve 40mpg highway or better.

Addition:
              According to Autoguide: The diesel will make 165 hp and 340 lb-ft of torque. It has the lowest compression ratio of any diesel, but a higher reclined than any other at 5200rpm. It also doesn't require an after treatment for emissions.

Mazda also claims that their new SkyActiv Drive, their new six-speed automatic, can shift gears faster than a dual-clutch transmission. Autoguide also said that the new SkyActiv chassis (Trident Frame?) has a 30% improvement in rigidity and and 8% reduction in weight.

According to Green Car Reports: The Sky-D will be a 2.2L engine. The low compression ratio could cause problems during cold starts and warm-up which is why Mazda equipped the engine with variable valve lift. The first diesel to have this feature. It allows a small amount of exhaust to flow back into the cylinder, helping to stabilize the combustion and speed the warm-up process.

They also said the Sky-D will meet Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions standards as well as the stricter Euro 6 standards. They also say Mazda's new diesel will be cleaner than VW's and Audi's TDI clean diesel.

It seems like we still need to wait on more concrete horsepower and torque output numbers. Also, goldstar, feel free to reorganize/reword the information I have given to make more sense if needed. I'll be keeping an eye and ear out for any more information about Mazda's SkyActiv products.

Comment

wow the Sky-D sounds promising
                -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Thanks to irishkev90 for providing basic information on the SkyActiv-D engine - the new diesel powerplant that Mazda intends to bring to the US sometime in 2012 or 2013. I've since acquired some additional information about the engine to add to the material he initially provided in post #7. Those interested in the new diesel be sure to refer back to that information. As irishkev90 pointed out, the new engine will meet US Tier 2 Bin 5 emission standards without using any NOx aftertreatment such as urea injection. For more information about these standards, go to:

The 2.2 L SkyActiv-D engine (other displacements may eventually be made) is said to increase fuel economy by 20% over Mazda's current 2.2 L conventional diesel engine. The Sky-D engine has a CR of 14:1, the same as that of the gasoline fueled Sky-G and down from the 16.3:1 of the conventional diesel. According to Mazda, that's the lowest CR in the world among diesels and was chosen to reduce cylinder pressure, and therefore temperature, which in turn reduces NOx production and allows a more homogeneous A/F mixture avoiding locally rich areas that produce soot. Mazda claims that the lessened friction from the reduced cylinder pressure alone produces a 4 to 5% gain in fuel economy. Additionally, the reduced internal forces due to the lower CR allows components such as rods and pistons to be substantially lighter with a claimed weight savings of 55 lbs compared with the conventional diesel. The forged steel crankshaft which replaces the conventional cast iron unit also aids in weight reduction.

As already pointed out by irishkev90, the problem with running such a low CR in a diesel is that, during warm-up, the engine temperature can be too low to support proper, regular combustion resulting in misfires. To counteract this tendency, Mazda added a two-stage variable valve-lift system to create additional valve overlap. This causes the hot exhaust gases to be drawn back into the next firing cylinder to warm it up.

Other new features are a sequential twin-turbo containing one small and one large unit which outperforms the old single variable-geometry type by providing optimal boost at both low and high rpm operation. Fuel is provided by 12-hole piezo injectors that dispense fuel into the cylinder in exact quantities during two to eight separate injections per cycle at pressures up to 2,900 psi.

I'm unclear as to the exact power output ratings of the new engine since I've seen a number of different values posted but whatever the specific figures turn out to be, it's clear that the BHP output is high for a 2.2 L diesel and the torque rating is spectacularly large (even for a diesel), both probably a reflection, in part, of the twin turbo set-up. irishkev90 reported ratings of 165 HP and 340 ft/lbs torque while I've seen 173 BHP @ 4,500 rpm and 310 f/lbs torque @ 2,000 rpm, with a redline of 5,200 rpm, extremely high for a diesel. In any case, both sets of figures are in the ballpark and illustrate the enormous power potential of the new engine. When more reliable figures become available, I'm sure one of us will post them for all to see.

I don't know for sure but I believe the Sky-D may be used in the 6 as well as other Mazda models.

For more information, go to:
                  Global Website of Mazda Motor Corporation - brand stories, design and technology as well as company profile, IR and CSR.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

I didn't know diesel oould even function at that low a CR. Wow again...

Comment

or that high of rpm lol should be a monster.
                      -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Ya know, the more I think about this, the more I geek out. On one hand they've waved their magic wand and get diesel to autoignite at 14:1, and on the other hand they wave their magic wand to get pump gas to *not* autoignite at 14:1. It's enough to make me go look up the flashpoints of those two fuels and say "how da fawk dey DO dat"

and then I wish they'd applied the same magic wand engineering to their $#^$*%&(*_(*&!@#$ AWD gearboxes

Comment

The difficulty in determining the flash point, or self-ignition temperature (SIT) of a fuel is that there are a great many variables affecting this value. According to Pulkrabek, the values for SIT for a given A/F mixture are ambiguous, depending on many variables including temperature, pressure, density, turbulence, swirl, A/F ratio, and the presence of inert gases. Additionally, a property of the fuel itself, the octane rating of gasoline and the cetane number of diesel fuel, helps determine the point at which SIT occurs. The larger the cetane number, the quicker the fuel will self-ignite in the combustion chamber.
                          Reference:
                          Engineering Fundamentals of the Internal Combustion Engine, Second Edition by Willard W. Pulkrabek; Chapter 4: Thermochemistry and Fuels, Section 4.4 Self-Ignition and Octane Number; Section 4.5 Diesel Fuel, pages 158-171.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Yeah..means they've got such control with direct injection as to when the fuel is introduced and how fine the droplets are (I bet in the diesel's case it's pretty much injected in vapor form), that they can get the stuff to get up and dance. Impressive, really.

Comment

Interesting tid-bit from Car and Driver: The Sky-D's exhaust manifold is integrated into the block.

They also mentioned something about HCCI (Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition) in a gas engine. Imagine driving a gasoline engine without spark plugs. Hmm.....

Last edited by irishkev90; 08-20-2011, 12:21 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                              X