This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Increase in CR

I was recently at my Mazda dealer taking care of my wife's 3 and picked up a brochure for the CX-5. It lists specs for the 2013 MY only. Back home I checked out the Mazda website and it also lists specs only for the 2013 CX-5 model. Apparently, in May 2012 there does not exist a 2012 MY CX-5. Why is this interesting? Because the CR for the only available engine in the CX-5 (the SkyActiv-G 2.0 L) is listed as 13:1 with the recommended fuel being regular unleaded. This of course stands in contrast to the SkyActiv-G 2.0 L engine used in the 3 which as we already know has a CR of 12:1. Both the Mazda brochure and the website list the 3 as 2012 MY.

Despite the increase in CR, the BHP output of the two models is identical (155 BHP @ 6,000 rpm) while the torque output is only marginally higher for the CX-5 (148 @ 4,100 rpm vs. 150 @ 4,000 rpm). It should be noted that the CX-5 is available with either the 6-speed MT as used in the SkyActiv 3 or with an AT.

It's good to see that the CR has been raised in the Skyactiv-G engine and we can hope that Mazda will follow suit for the 2013 MY 3 whenever that arrives, but it's curious that the increased CR did not result in a commensurate increase in BHP output. I'm sure we'll be able to resolve this in time.

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

I stated in an earlier post that the reason the CX-5's compression ratio is higher compared to the '3 is because of the exhaust header. It won't fit in the engine bay of the '3 because it's smaller than the CX-5. I'm sure that once the '3 gets the SkyActiv makeover, Mazda will include the header and bump its compression to 13:1, like the CX-5.

Comment

^
        You're right kev, you already mentioned this back in post #37 which I somehow missed, and for which I apologize. I was wondering if they managed the 1-point increase in CR by utilizing the new exhaust header and you've already answered that question, too. Thank you.

Happy Motoring!
        Last edited by goldstar; 05-14-2012, 09:14 AM.
        02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
        MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
        MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
        MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
        Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
        Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
        Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
        Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
        Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
        Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
        Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Not a problem, goldstar. Just trying to clear up any confusion and questions that remain on the subject. SkyActiv technology is quite a bit more complex than your typical downsized+turbocharged engine that the current market trend is showing.

Comment

Here's a little animation of how the SkyActiv-D engine will work. mainly the two-stage turbo setup. I posted this in the thread about the race version of the diesel engine, but after some inspection, the race engine is setup completely differently. Race thread: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...-showrooms-yet

Comment

neat animation!
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
              X