networkingdude's full on resto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

networkingdude's full on resto

I just got myself a new camera for this rebuild, bad part is I'll have no pictures of the tear down.

But here she sits part way through.

It's a 1998 Protege 1.8l BP with manual box. Was great fun to drive until the subframe went missing...

As you can see the car has some serious rust but that's living in Canada

I have another BP with 3000km original kms on it out of an EGT that I will be using when its time to turbo the thing. Also pictured are my megan lateral links as the subframe I picked up (From Texas, with no rust) didn't come with any and new ones are super expensive.

Subn
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

whoa rust!!!! sucks man. buy yourself a can of off brand POR-15 & tackle the suspension components
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I actually have a large sandblaster and a 6x3x3 foot oven so suspension components are all being powdercoated

Comment

por-15 is superior to powder coating.
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Subbing. And Ryan, how is Por-15 superior than powder coating? Just curious.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk.

Comment

it actually seals the metal. rust does not form underneath of it as does with powdercoating.

Comment

Whoa, you got a lot of work ahead of you. Inspires me to get my winter beater done ASAP!

Sub'd
                sigpic
                1992 Familia GT-X
                1988 323 GTX
                2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
                2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                  it actually seals the metal. rust does not form underneath of it as does with powdercoating.
                  Well now I know what I'll be using, haha.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk.

Comment

Sorry but powdercoating is superior. When doing parts that are subject to extreme conditions you must use a high quality powder primer that is allowed to partially cure and then apply your top coat. Metal pipes that need to spend decades in the ground use this primer. I can beat it with a hammer all day long. Por 15 isolates the metal from oxygen and moisture the same way powdercoating does and powdercoating does not flake off like por15 likes to do all so often even with good prep as moisture cured urethanes were never designed for direct to metal applications. Por15 only sticks if there is a tooth like rusty metal to adhere to. I run a custom coatings business and know how to protect steel

Comment

word. Nice. I like it when people give something with their opinion or fact. me saying pink unicorns exist is dandy and all but what grounds do I have to say that??
                      -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
                      VF10 powered!
                      262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                      13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

I'd powdercoat the whole car if your going to take everything off.
                        Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
                        "Who Dey"

Comment

Originally posted by bomdoutscort View Post
                          I'd powdercoat the whole car if your going to take everything off.
                          It won't fit in my oven lol

Comment

to each their own

Comment

This is great. I am looking forward to someone saving a Protege. I always thought it was unfair that people would spend so much time and money restoring Civics, but the Proteges just get discarded..

Comment

Working...
                              X