Protege brake failure suddenly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protege brake failure suddenly

Im new to the forum. I just bought a 96 protege about 4 days ago. Today I drove it to get some better tires then I planned on getting it inspected. After they finished putting the tires on the car, the drove it out the garage, and backed it up near me. I then proceeded home. Long story short, I got less then 5 miles away from the shop when I realized something was wrong with the breaks (it went alway to the floor before it even stopped and before this incident the breaks was very steady). I pulled over to the gas station and realized smoked was coming from my back left tire. Well come to find out he had left the emergency brakes engaged. I disengaged them and then proceeded foward to find out that now I could not stop at all. I was going about 40 mph the entire time and prior to this I had no problems with the breaks. Also, I noticed before (and now) all this happened that when I make tight turns I can hear (maybe the axels not good at all with cars so my guess) squeaking. I have been reading and some people say driving with the emergency breaks on just add a little more wear to the tires and some say something different. I also read that if they overheated then they may start back. I dont want to drive and they give out so I was trying to see what are my options before I spend money I do not have to spend. Thanks for any input that I may recieve.

Jack up the car and look for brake fluid leaks. Make sure there's enough fluid in the reservoir as well. If there's no leak, try bleeding the brakes. Pads/shoes might also be worn and need replacing.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk.

Comment

you could have(doubt complete failure)boiled the brake fluid,destroyed the rear brake cylinder (if drums) with the heat, the fluid will be leaking all over the back plate,(behind the rear wheel)if your "not good with cars at all"spend some money and get them looked at.

Comment

make sure the master cylinder has fluid, (you said you just bought it, that is something i forget sometimes when looking at a car) other than that, find a place doing free brake inspections and VERY CAREFULLY take it there (you should be able to pump the peddle a little bit to get enough pressure to the fronts anyway (they do most of the work)). also be sure the vacuum tube going to the booster is on, sounds like it is, but who knows.
        sigpic
        96 protege dx - gone :'(
        94 Mustang Gt - Became one with a deer
        02 dodge 1500 - CAI, random aftermarket exhaust
        95 protege dx - now derivable, my new project

Originally posted by firelizard
        I'm going to go take a bath in $10 bills after my mom makes me a PB&J.
        Me: just wondering if that was a 2500 and if it was a diesel
        Class mate 1: it wasn't mine, but i think it mighta been a 1 ton and ya it was a diesel
        Class mate 2: no way, that truck was way to big to be a 1 ton...

Comment

Thanks everyone who replied. When I went out to check it maybe a day or two later they were working so I guess they just overheated from when the guy who put my tires onn (and I since it is my car and I should of checked myself) left the emergency break engaged. Now I have a new problem (want be buying a car from a private pary anymore). Dont thinkk Im suppose to post here so im going to find out where and post it. Hope to hear from you about my newer problem

Comment

Yeh, the brakes won't work if you drive w/ the ebrake on.... not till they cool off ; my gf tried this not realizing I had the ebrake set. I got in the car, disengaged the ebrake and the brakes were back to fully functioning.

Comment

Working...
            X