No announcement yet.

My 2000 Protege LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you don't mind me asking. how much you picked up the intake for?
    | Ejaz | '98 Protegé | '02 Protegé5 |

Comment

it was about $200. I cannot really notice a difference in hp, but it sure sounds sexy. lol
      Mazda Protege 2000 LX

Comment

Update: I just ordered 4-1 headers. Should be in by beginning of next week. I found a Garrett turbo kit for a little under 2000. does this look safe to buy? (I won't be buying it right now) http://www.raceinspired.com/p-28199-...1999-2003.aspx
        Mazda Protege 2000 LX

Comment

Headers and a turbo?

Happy Motoring!
          02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
          MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
          MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
          Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
          MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
          Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
          Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
          Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
          Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
          Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
          Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
          Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
          Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

I know this is kind of late but I was under the impression OBX didn't make a header for the 1.6L. Hopefully it fits when you get it.

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar View Post
              Headers and a turbo?

Happy Motoring!
              ^^+1... your're working backwards.. decide all motor or turbo. why spend $$ on a header that will be removed and sit in the corner of ur garage forever once you turbo?

94 Pro LX- 3-hole. Familia seats, Infini Corners, Familia Grille, Familia Rear Garnish w/Rear fogs EDM Glass headlights,
              MSP Mazdaspeed Muffler,Mazdaspeed front strut bar,'00 Pro ES wheels, Neuspeed Springs,GR2s, MX3 wheel, MX3 Tall armrest

Comment

hmmm. I am still not sure that I will even be able to buy a turbo. I have already ordered the headers and they should be here on Tuesday. I guess I should have asked y'all about that before purchasing them. I did not realize that new headers would be a waste if I got a turbo. Shows you how much I know about cars xD. I can at least give me temporary power increase. If I do ever get a turbo, it will not be any time soon.
                Mazda Protege 2000 LX

Comment

UPDATE: After many gruesome hours, my dad and I were able to remove the old header and finally install the new, 4-1 header. It definitely makes the car sound different and has some top end power. I just noticed that my front tires have almost no tread left on them. Any suggestions for a good namebrand of performance tires? The tires that I have on right now are Falken 185/65 R14 86H. I want to get 17s, but I don't want to have to buy new wheels too. Besides, I have heard that bigger tires make you loe some hp. I tried uploading pictures, but it wouldn't work.
                  Mazda Protege 2000 LX

Comment

To get 17s you'll need bigger wheels. A tire with an R17 is meant for a 17 inch diameter wheel and will not fit on a 14 inch diameter wheel. I would have gone with a 4-2-1 header, but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by TH3B34ST View Post
                      UPDATE: After many gruesome hours, my dad and I were able to remove the old header and finally install the new, 4-1 header. It definitely makes the car sound different and has some top end power. I just noticed that my front tires have almost no tread left on them. Any suggestions for a good namebrand of performance tires? The tires that I have on right now are Falken 185/65 R14 86H. I want to get 17s, but I don't want to have to buy new wheels too. Besides, I have heard that bigger tires make you loe some hp. I tried uploading pictures, but it wouldn't work.
                      For a tire comparison, go to:

BHP is strictly a function of the thermal and volumetric efficiency of the engine minus the friction HP consumed by the engine, therefore tires of whatever size don't enter into the equation. Larger diameter tires, and the larger dia. wheels they require as pointed out by irishkev90, will reduce the acceleration of the vehicle because of the resultant greater inertia loading of the combo. The extra weight of the drive wheels can bring about a reduction in wheel HP (WHP), however.

Happy Motoring!
                      02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                      MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                      MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                      MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                      Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                      Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                      Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                      Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                      Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                      Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                      Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

if you go with 17" rims, then you just wasted $$$ on your intake and header lol...the extra weight you'll be spinning will probably gobble up those few ponies you added to her. Personally stick with 15" or 16" lightweight wheels and you'll be golden.
                        -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Alright thanks for the advice. In that case, I will just stick with the 14s.
                          Mazda Protege 2000 LX

Comment

Working...
                          X