Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Light Removal?

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2003 Protege LX and I deeply regeret not spending the extra coin for the ES. But what's done is done. So I want to purchase a few extras to try and make this car look like the ES.

The first thing that REALLY bugs me is that when I got the rear spoiler put on as an option, the dealership didn't remove the rear interior light. So it looks just plain stupid! What I'd like to do is remove this light all together, or at least take the light bulb out so that it doesn't show at night. Is this fairly easy to do? I believe I also would need some sort of cover to hide the holw should the light be removed right? Thanks in advance.

P.S. Here's my car - only a few months old.
    Attached Files

there is a cover available to cover the spot where the 3rd brake light is, but i don't know the part # for it. if you just want to unplug it for now, you can remove the rear deck and get access to the plug. fold your back seats down and remove the 5 circle fasteners on the front edge. you have to pull the center circle out, then pull the whole fastener out. once those are out, just pull up on the front edge of the rear deck. i think there's like 3 or 4 fasteners that hold from underneath that just pull up. once it's pull up and loose, pull forward. the wire for the 3rd brake light should be the only thing stopping you from pulling it all the way out. you can either reach under and unplug it, if you have small arms, or you can remove the 3rd brake light by pressing on the tabs from the bottom side and pushing it up and out.

Comment

Ok, small update. I was able to remove all 5 fasteners without a problem, but the deck wouldn't seem to budge. I pulled up until I heard some small cracking noises so I stopped right there. I'm going to take a trip to the dealer this afternoon to see how much it'll cost for the cover and to have them install it. Thanks again for the info though.

Comment

let us know, ive been wanting to do this too.
        According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Well, I went to the dealership where I purchased my car. And the guy at the service counter said that there was NO hole cover available should the rear/interior light be completely removed. He did give me a price on a rear deck for a 2003 Protege ES though.

The ES model comes factory with a spoiler and the rear has no interior light thus the deck only has the small holes in it for the child safety seat hooks. Price for this deck = 220$ Canadian + Labour. Roughly one hour at 75$ per hour to install this deck.

It costs 1/2 Hour at 75$ per hour to have them just take out the light bulb from the rear light. Since this is probably the best option for me, I'll see if they'll do it for free during my next scheduled maintenance. But until then, I'm going to keep searching the net to see if I can find a cover from the Japanese Mazda Familia which apparently fits.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
            not surprisingly, sounds like you wasted your time
            could have used that time to read the faq that thoroughly covers this subject

dude, STOP making sense that might hurt their heads

FYI, the link to your faq in your sig does not work for the rest of us. it tries to take us to your local intranet, not the published one on the internet. change it to this link:

cause right now it's this link:
            http://"http://web2.airmail.net/theman/protegefaq/

for the lazy, try this link for the hole cover.
            it's listed under OEM JDM accessories then interior parts. model #B30S-V4-926-xx
            and just for ****s and giggles, here's a pic:

Comment

Originally posted by Recondo
              Ok, small update. I was able to remove all 5 fasteners without a problem, but the deck wouldn't seem to budge. I pulled up until I heard some small cracking noises so I stopped right there. I'm going to take a trip to the dealer this afternoon to see how much it'll cost for the cover and to have them install it. Thanks again for the info though.

just yank up on it pretty good. trust me, i've taken mine out a million times. course now i leave it out, cause it rattled too bad

Comment

I am very determined to find a solution to this problem. Now I wanted to get everyone's opinion on this. If you click on this link:

http://snipurl.com/4nmy

You'll see a Hole Cover with a part number of 067-016-019 but no picture. Now I'm positive that this is the right part. And 50$ Canadian before shipping isn't that bad at all. Think I should get it?

Comment

Originally posted by Recondo
                  I am very determined to find a solution to this problem. Now I wanted to get everyone's opinion on this. If you click on this link:

http://snipurl.com/4nmy

You'll see a Hole Cover with a part number of 067-016-019 but no picture. Now I'm positive that this is the right part. And 50$ Canadian before shipping isn't that bad at all. Think I should get it?

from the description and colors available, it looks like a match

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
                    from the description and colors available, it looks like a match
                    I've e-mailed the company (Japanparts.com) with the details of my situation and my intentions of purchasing that hole cover. They got back to me saying that they couldn't guarentee that this cover will fit so they didn't recommend that I order it. I'm going to hold off on it for now. I've just completed the eBay purchase of a 2003 Protege parts list from a Body Shop / Master collision guide. Apparently every part on this car is listed. Will wait for the list before I go ahead and order.

Comment

Working...
                    X