My daily 1988 323 b6 sohc....wants a turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My daily 1988 323 b6 sohc....wants a turbo

I've recently picked up a 323 hatch and have been averaging between 27-30mpg. I've been throwing around the idea to try and get 40mpg. A small efficient turbo has crossed my mind.

Not looking to make it fast but just to see how many mpg I can gain.

Trying to figure out a way to trick the computer to run a very small amount of boost, 3-5psi maybe.

I don't even think I would plan to run an intercooler.

Any one have any thoughts

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320299725.027062.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1267349Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320299746.536512.jpg
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1267350Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320299762.518993.jpg
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1267351Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320299777.366640.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1267352

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.344821,-90.414879

Looks pretty clean, definitely way better mileage than I'm getting with my GTX. It also looks to have both GTX spoilers added on too.

Comment

super clean, nice.

honestly your best bet for fuel efficiency is to rebuild the motor with higher compression, and install a higher temp thermostat. Turbos are very efficient while the wastegate is shut, but as soon as it opens, you get horrible efficiency. So running that low of boost your wastegate will almost always be open a bit. Unless you have a turbo designed to run that low.
      I'm a milling machine!

Comment

a t-bird turbo/ or a VJ11 turbo would be perfect for that motor.
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Well i guess a Miata piston would be the route to go. I have a set of low mileage Miata stock rods I will be using. From what I have read its not a good idea to bore a b6 block. Is this true? Has anyone bored with reliable success?

The only reason I figured a turbo would be the effiecient way to go is because when I turbocharged my Bp Miata I went from 23mpg to 26mpg and that was me doing a street tune myself.

I've figured a rebuild head is about $250 and I could use some leftover Miata bottom end parts and have a fairly solid set up.

So should I go with..

high compression Miata pistons

Stock pistons with small turbo

High compression pistons and small turbo

Comment

If I was going for max efficiency, is go with a b6t, Miata pistons and a VJ11 that spools a little later than the 14. I was getting almost 30 mpg with a regular b6t and a VJ11/14 hybrid. That was 90% highway though.

I'm averaging 26mpg with a VJ14 right now.
            sigpic
            1992 Familia GT-X
            1988 323 GTX
            2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
            2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Nice clean looking car man,if you really are after mpg,I'd say keep the cash in your pocket.If you want to spend some,yes a fresh head and some hi-comp slugs are probably a good idea.
              Oh and sell the wings on the hatch,no need for the extra weight

Comment

The more and more I research it looks like a nice fresh engine and a set of high compression pistons looks promising.

My cat has a slight rattle when accelerating so exhaust will be needing some attention. Would getting rid of the cat and doing a test pipe be a good idea? Not sure if it would help or hurt mpg. Also is there any header or intake option on the sohc? There isn't much aftermarket on these. Not sure if the bg stuff will swap at all. Help a driver out please.

Comment

crazycanadian used to have a completely rebuilt 1.6 SOHC w/ turbo. I don't know what ever happened to it.

Comment

After sinking all that money in that sohc B6, how long will it take for the "hopefully" few extra mpg's worth of savings to make this endeavor pay off. You talk about more efficiency in one breath but your wallet is saying wtf. I say if you are in the mood to spend money, drop a righteous turbo swap in that thing and go buy a Prius for mpgs. Not being a wiseguy here...just looking at efficiency.

Comment

The main reason are because I have these too

---
                      I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.754099,-90.483636
                      Attached Files

Comment

Well on with it then...looks like fun to me..nice rides.

Comment

Where's a good place to pick up coil springs for front and back? I DO NOT want to lower it because it needs to be my snow mobile.

---
                          I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.212748,-90.401012

Comment

get some ground control coilovers. You can pick your own spring rate, and keep the stock ride height with the option to lower it during the summer.

Nice FC BTW. I'm a big Rx7 fanatic myself. Just rebuilt the motor in my '94 R2
                            Last edited by cs900; 11-10-2011, 08:58 AM.
                            I'm a milling machine!

Comment

that's a damn clean BF! Welcome to CP btw.

cs900 has a good suggestion with ground controls, as it will allow the adjustability depending on the season.
                              -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Working...
                              X