Idle Adjustment 2000 ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle Adjustment 2000 ES

I just purchased a 2000 ES, Midnight Blue, and can't get enough of driving the car. Tons of fun. It has 59000 miles on it, so I figure it is just broken in.
    My only issue is the idle speed. I bought it from a dealer and requested they fix the idle rpm as it was too low and vibrates the car. When I picked up the car, they said it was computer controlled and it was fine.
    I don't trust the dealers so I just figured I would just fix it myself.
    I bought a Haynes book that says the idle speed should be between 700 and 800. Mine was about 400.
    I don't have much experience on fuel injected cars, but I took of the snorkel to the air intake and cleaned throttle plate with gumout and a tooth brush as the plate regularly sticks after the engine cools off.
    That didn't solve the problem so before I go deeper I figured I would ask around here.
    The car appears to be stock. It has new plug wires, but besides that I can't find anything that looks to have been changed from stock.
    I wondered about fuel injectors, but the car drives great and is smooth on acceleration.
    I know the throttle position stop screw isn't intended to set idle speed, so I don't know where to look next.
    My car has a 5 speed.

I have poked around on this site and found a bunch of good information from intake modifications to ZRF5F-11 plugs, so I know you guys know your stuff.
    I can see why this car has generated so much interest. Before buying this car, I drove a new Civic and a new Nissan Sentra. They were just cars. Within five seconds I knew the Mazda was what I was looking for.
    Th fact that this comes from a guy in his mid forties who purchased a Suzuki RF900 this past summer and doesn't know which one is more fun to drive. That says a lot for the Protege.
    Thanks for any help I can get.

Nice, the 2000 ES in 5-speed is a real good choice, the nice 1.8L plus light-weight makes it nice. It might have a little less noise insulation than other cars, but that's why it's light.

Did you happen to see if there were any leaks from the plastic piping going into the intake manifold? That can cause idling problems.
    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by charles
      Nice, the 2000 ES in 5-speed is a real good choice, the nice 1.8L plus light-weight makes it nice. It might have a little less noise insulation than other cars, but that's why it's light.

Did you happen to see if there were any leaks from the plastic piping going into the intake manifold? That can cause idling problems.
      I didn't notice any, but I didn't really look for them either. All the plastic parts look to be in great shape and I removed the line between the metal intake and the next joint, and tightened everything on replacement. I will okk again as there I think there is one more part before you get back to the air box.
      I assume you would be speaking of leaks between the throttle plate and the air box. I think everything before that wouldn't cause a vacuum leak.

Thanks for the response

Comment

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Anyways, try searching the sites for old threads where your question may have been answered:
        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by charles
          Yeah, that's what I meant.

Anyways, try searching the sites for old threads where your question may have been answered:
          http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/search.php?

I searched the previous threads before posting, but I will try a few more search titles.

I checked the intake snorkle and it looks fine.
          You might be on the right track with an air / vacuum leak. It's been a while since I have played around with all of this stuff, but I will poke around and see if I can track down any leaks.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by 2000MBES
            I searched the previous threads before posting, but I will try a few more search titles.

I checked the intake snorkle and it looks fine.
            You might be on the right track with an air / vacuum leak. It's been a while since I have played around with all of this stuff, but I will poke around and see if I can track down any leaks.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

I read several previous posts and saw information about an idle adjustment screw under a black rubber cap on the intake.
              I have searched all over my throttle plate housing and haven't seen anything that resembles an idle adjuster.
              There is a similar adjustment screw on the back of the intake, near the fire wall. I made the mistake of using this on a Toyota pick up, and the ended up with a service repair as the check engine light came on. That adjustment was the throttle plate position adjustment that the computer checks to see if everything is okay.
              An almost undetectable change in the screw will up the rpm by about 1000.

If there aren't any other ideas on how to adjust the idle, I will continue to look for a vaccum leak, when I can get a new vacuum tool.

P.S. This site has a ton of great information.
              Right now, I am having way too much fun driving my protege, so I don't have much time to log on and read.

Comment

youll never keep up with us. too much information too little time.
                According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

you might try a bottle of fuel system cleaner. that helped alot with my 92 pro, but it was alot older and had about 175,000 miles on it when i added it.
                  2002.5 protege dx

Comment

Working...
                  X