X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Megan Lateral Links installed

n00b here with 1st post.
    thought I'd post up this how to for those who may need info on this.
    so went out and installed megan's rear lateral links. everything was straight forward. i decided to remove to remove the entire subframe, rear sway, all lateral links and gt spec panel all as one unit. this worked out great since its incredibly easy to drop these subframes.
    it only took about 2 hours and we were eating pizza and having a few as well. lol

I took pics so I could do a quick write up in case anyone needs the info for whatever reason.
    this was done on a 2002 mazda protege 5 with the gt spec rear panel and v-brace. if you dont have the v-brace, then disregard any instructions referring to that part.

tools i used:
    floor jack
    jack stands
    17mm 1/2 socket
    21mm 1/2 socket
    12mm 3/8 socket
    14mm 3/8 socket
    various extensions depending on actual set up
    rubber mallet
    wd-40

the night before i w'd this nut real good on both sides of the car.

using a 17mm socket on this nut, and a 21mm socket on the opposite nut, remove the 17mm nut/washer and set aside.

drive the long bolt out using a rubber mallet and a 1/4 drive extension.

if you dont have the gt spec panel, skip these steps.
    remove the lower v-brace bolts from the panel.

next, remove the sway bar attachments. in my case its attached using an end link. remove yours accordingly. then, just loosen do NOT remove the 4 subframe mounting bolts using a 14mm socket with an extension.
    i could not get pics of this step because the bolts are located up in the subframe in the center. but when you are under the car you car see them. there are 2 12mm bolts up there that need to be removed as well. sorry i didnt get a pic of that.

remove the exhaust hanger from the subframe to the muffler then place a jack under subframe and now remove the 4 subframe bolts. its good to have a helper at this point to help lower the subframe safely.

then wheel out the assembly.

where did everything go? lol

now it will be a lot easier to remove/install the new links.
    removing/installing these links at this point is self explanatory.
    remove old front/rear links, install new front/rear links. same as rear/rear links.
    if you have the gt spec panel, its easier to just remove it.
    also, remember which way the cam washers go went in and get them as close as you can to where they were before. they will be located on the rear/rear links.
    once everything is all bolted back up, load it all back up the the jack, and reinstall. the way I reinstalled it was have a buddy install loosely one 14mm subframe bolt on one side while I did the other. then, install the 2 center subframe bolts, sway bar end links etc.

then, its all finished! go get an alignment to your desired specs and enjoy.

Megan Lateral Link Install pictures by ogsk8er - Photobucket

hope this helps!

If ya don't mind me asking where did you get the Megan ttl's and how much did they run ya
    c+p>c<c+d1>c+p<m+d2>m<m+f>f<c+p>m<m+f>f<f+s1>c+p<c +s2>c<c+p>

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

I hope these are still around when my tax refund gets here. Been watching these for a while now and they are slowly disappearing from e-bay.

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

yea, hopefully they'll be around. i think you'll find some and i know you'll like them

Comment

AWESOME HOW-TO!!!

PS i love your bumper decal "be patient im lowered- thanks"

how do you like these btw?
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

thank you for your kind words sir.

yea that sticker tells the ahole behind me that Im not messing around but just going slow for the speedbump. It has reduced the amount of fingers and horns at me. lol

I really like these links a lot. Stiffened up the rear quite a bit. Handles real nice, easy install and cheap enough.
            The only thing I didnt like was the fact that these links are the same length as the stock links. So I was not able to pull the wheels in like I wanted. I might cut like a 1/4 in off each link so I can be able to pull the wheels in if I desire.
            These are great replacement parts for those who have worn lateral links like I did at 125K.

Comment

i need to make some parts for the BJ chassis's
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

*sigh* Still no BH love

Comment

lol @ no BH love.

I'd love to see more BJ chassis stuff.

Comment

Haha, I'm talking about stuff Ryan makes. But there's probably not enough people who drive a BH that would pay for it, thereby making it financially unreasonable.

Comment

Just ordered these along with the trailing arms , rear panel brace with the arms , mazdaspeed swaybar kit , tokiko struts and the pedder front control arm bushings.

Comment

Nice write-up. Another sticky.

Happy Motoring!
                        02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                        MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                        MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                        MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                        Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                        Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                        Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                        Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                        Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                        Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                        Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Originally posted by o.g.sk8er View Post
                          lol @ no BH love.

I'd love to see more BJ chassis stuff.
                          Check out Racing Beat and the MSP suspension parts.

Happy Motoring!
                          Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                          Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

Torque Settings

Front Lateral Link mounting bolts: 64-86 ft/lbs (87-116 Nm)

Rear Lateral Link mounting bolts:
                            Drum brake 37-50 ft/lbs (50-69 Nm)
                            Disc brake 64-86 ft/lbs (87-116 Nm)

Rear Crossmember mounting bolts (4): 27-46 ft/lbs (37-62 Nm)

Rear Stabilizer Bar Control Link nuts: 32-44 ft/lbs (44-60 nm)

Happy Motoring!
                            Last edited by goldstar; 03-10-2012, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X