Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wondering at stalling and RPM levels (70 mph)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wondering at stalling and RPM levels (70 mph)

I recently bought a 2000 Mazda Protege LX (1.6L 5speed). Before I changed timing belt, plugs, COP, water pump, drive belts the car idled fine.

Now after I double checked timing belt installation, reset computer, and went through a drive cycle for the computer to relearn settings the car idles rough and sometimes dies. I checked all connections and am wondering if the car needs more time to relearn settings.

Out on the highway it drove fine except that at about 70 mph the RPM's were at about 3300 RPM. I don't know if that is normal for this car and engine. Again I don't know if the computer needs more time to relearn settings.

Any input would be appreciated.

My drive cycle consisted of the following:

1. As soon as the engine starts, idle the engine in drive for two and a half minutes with the A/C and rear defrost on. (OBDII checks oxygen sensor heater circuits, air pump and EVAP purge.)

2. Turn the A/C and rear defrost off, and accelerate to 55 mph at half throttle. (OBDII checks for ignition misfire, fuel trim and canister purge.)

3. Hold at a steady state speed of 55 mph for three minutes. (OBDII monitors EGR, air pump, O2 sensors and canister purge.)

4. Decelerate (coast down) to 20 mph without braking or depressing the clutch. (OBDII checks EGR and purge functions.)

5. Accelerate back to 55 to 60 mph at ¾ throttle. (OBDII checks misfire, fuel trim and purge again.)

6. Hold at a steady speed of 55 to 60 mph for five minutes.
    (OBDII monitors catalytic converter efficiency, misfire, EGR, fuel trim, oxygen sensors and purge functions.)

7. Decelerate (coast down) to a stop without braking. (OBDII makes a final check of EGR and canister purge.)

70 mph the RPM's were at about 3300 RPM yeah normal

look for a vac leak

Comment

Check and clean the EGR as well. Common problem, at least for the second gens. I had a random misfire code, P0300, but the check engine light wasn't on. I replaced the spark plugs, checked the cap and rotor, they were new, and everything was fine. Cleaned the EGR and it runs normally now.

Comment

If I can find the EGR valve I will clean it.

Comment

Working...
        X