Car Shakes During Acceleration but not in Neutral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Shakes During Acceleration but not in Neutral

Hey out of nowhere today my car started shaking whenever im in acceleration on my 1.5L 96 5Speed Protege....If im in gear and not accelerating it does not shake, but when i hit the gas it starts to shake.....but it doesn't do it in neutral either though. Any ideas? Also when I shift into a gear its like the idle is low...slow to pick up speed... Any ideas? Im hoping its something simple like a plug or wire :-( I know my economy will be horrible but am I good to drive at least?(Of course there will be performance symptoms)

Codes?
    What frequency is the vibration?
    Does it only happen at certain speeds, as if it only resonates at 30mph and 60mph?
    1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
    1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
    2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
    1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

Originally posted by 1st Gen View Post
      Codes?
      What frequency is the vibration?
      Does it only happen at certain speeds, as if it only resonates at 30mph and 60mph?
      Ive had CEL on from a diff issue....but i will get them rechecked tomorrow.....Frequency is the vibration like u shifted too soon...like low rpm's....damn i hate that this model doesnt have rpm meter.....

I will check the air intake tomorrow....ill probably get some new plugs anyway though

Comment

If there are no codes and the vibration only happens when the drive train is engaged, then----
        But there are codes.
        Could be engine misfire. Codes and poor millage seem to point to that. It might not be a bad idea to check the tires for even wear anyway. It's easy to do and it's free.
        Get the CEL light off and see what happens.
        1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
        1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
        2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
        1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

Okay so no new codes....so ive kinda narrowed it down.....Its either due to my high idling issue ive been dealing with or clutch/tranny related.....my car idles really high....and im hoping that will go away if i clean my IAC/EGR....Would my high idling issue mess with my shifting? And if its clutch/tranny related, how do i know if my clutch is slipping or my tranny is going

Comment

WAIT A MINUTE....Im new to this stuff but doing research....i thought my car was just idling loud but then i saw a youtube video of a guy who said his tranny was making a noise and kind of sounded similar to mine....I HATE that this car doesnt have RPM meter....How do I know that its not an IDLING Engine sound or if its a Transmission sound?

Comment

1996 is OBDII right? Find a scanner that you can plug it and have it show you the sensor information while the car is running. It can show you intake temperature, rpms, amount of air being measured, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by smokstac
                1996 is OBDII. I use my laptop for such needs, but, some of the handheld scanners can display the same information such as RPM, O2 sensor output, etc.

If the clutch is completely shot you won't be able to shift at all or the engine will surge in RPMs as you accelerate but you won't actually go anywhere...it will act as if it's in neutral.

High idle can be caused by a massive vacuum leak (which is what a stuck IAC acts like) but then it would probably run rough or horrible. The 96s have more vacuum lines than the 97-98 models, and, there's the issue of that large resonator on the back of the intake which people say causes poor operation if it pops off or leaks into the intake.

A transmission sound (like low on gear oil) has more of a whine to it unless there's no oil in which case it will be a grinding noise. It will be consistent and get louder as RPMs increase and *should* sound the same in neutral if there's a defect affecting all gears as you are thinking.

Personally with your description of it vibrating it sound more like a big vacuum leak to me. Again, recheck your air intake hose thoroughly...cracks and breaks sometimes are hard to spot.
                WOW VERY VERY INSIGHTFUL!! Just got home from work and the vibrating after shifting thing has gone away for now but now my car feels very sluggish and runs kind of rough.... Slow get up....Runs sluggish even when on highway....and HORRIBLE GAS MILEAGE now.The biggest issue to me that might be also causing a lot these issues is the high idling issue im gonna check all of these things tomorrow and Wed. DOn't I need to buy new gaskets when cleaning the IAC and EGR or can I maybe reuse them? ANyway.... damnit I guess I gotta go buy a Torx screwdriver set for those. By he way THANKS SO MUCH for everyone's insight and input I really appreciate it. Glad to see the community is alive. Please dont hesitate to chime in. These topics help people with similar issues.

Comment

Originally posted by smokstac
                  I have simply just reused the gaskets in the past.

BTW you need a special security T-25 bit to take the IAC off (it's a normal torx-25 with a hole in the center). Autozone sells a 100 piece Great Neck bit set in a blue plastic shell for $8.99 that includes this and a bunch of other security bits.
                  Thanks just found it online...gonna pick it up after work.....lol its 9.99 here :-P

Comment

I also reused the gasket when I cleaned my EGR valve. My throttle body gasket has a small tear in it, and it tore apart when I took the throttle body off. I put the gasket back on with some gasket maker gunk and drove to Advance to get a new gasket. The EGR gasket is metal, so you shouldn't have a problem with that.

Comment

Originally posted by irishkev90 View Post
                      I also reused the gasket when I cleaned my EGR valve. My throttle body gasket has a small tear in it, and it tore apart when I took the throttle body off. I put the gasket back on with some gasket maker gunk and drove to Advance to get a new gasket. The EGR gasket is metal, so you shouldn't have a problem with that.
                      So Advance had the gasket? I think Autozone said they didnt sell it....hmmm...or maybe they meant the IAC....***Shrugs** but right now my high idling issue is annoying....and my car is running extremely sluggish with horrible gas mileage...gotta do this cleaning

Comment

Yes, they did. I can't remember if they had it in stock or if I had to wait a couple days, though. Probably wait.

Comment

Working...
                        X