Engine Treatments: Fact or Fancy??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Treatments: Fact or Fancy??

I'm trying to figure out whether or not any of the following are worth trying:

Slick50, Dura Lube, or Zmax. Apparently the FTC sued the makers of Zmax back in 2001, but recently I saw an endorsement of the product on SpeedTV. Are any of these worth the money, or should I just stick to 10w-30 high mileage oil? My 2003 Protege LX 2.0L has 124K miles.

high milage? ha 124k your ready for booooooost!!! i run castrol gtx 10w30.. occasionally ill buy a can of seafoam and put half in my tank and the other half in my oil the day b4 an oil change...

Comment

Just use a good quality synthetic engine oil, and change it at the appropriate intervals. Adding any kind of oil treatment is never recommended as it upsets the chemical balance of the original formulation in unpredictable ways.

Happy Motoring!
      02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
      MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
      MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
      Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
      Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
      Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
      Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
      Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
      Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
      Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Oil treatments usually end up just gunking up your motor. Like goldstar said, just change your oil at regular intervals with a quality oil and you'll be fine
        1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
        1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
        2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
        .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

there are no miracle cures in a bottle

Comment

Just a quick thanks to everyone who responded... I'm sure I'll have another maintenance question to post soon.

Comment

Hi. Just for general info, at 100,000 miles, I switched from 10w-30 to 10w-40 (I live in Florida). I hit 300,000 miles last week and my '99 LX still runs great (1.6L, 5 speed). I never used synthetic, just Valvoline conventional every 3000 to 4000 miles. Never used an additive.

Comment

Working...
              X