No announcement yet.

1993 Mazda 323 Astina GT-X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good job... I've heard many people say their cars are clean with no rust...my response is: "it's because you don't know where to look"...lpl

Just when I think I cured all the cancer from my whip, I find a hidden spot somewhere...
    91 GT- Li'l Bee (under construction)
    2013 Honda Accord V6 coupe - 14.7 sec. 1/4 mile

New Thread:
    Wilyb's 91 Pro GT Rebuild: Li'l B: http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...Rebuild-Li-l-B

Old Threads:

WilyB's 93 GT rebuild worklog : http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...-93-GT-rebuild
    My FE3 worklog thread:http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...ighlight=wilyb

sigpic

Comment

mine is rusted in the same way..... thanks for some motivation!
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Sadly very little is getting done lately due to annoying little screw ups. I finally got an engine crane to do my sump seals and install the Whiteline swaybar.

But firstly the Repco that told me they had stock couldn't work it out when I went to buy them, and then the engine crane hydraulic arm crapped out and wouldn't lift above level. And finally, I went to put my newly modded front turbo cover on the hybrid turbo and the 3 holes that the actuator base plate mounts to are all somewhat stripped.

No clear plan as yet as to how to proceed, I might have to get the other cover modded, but its not ported out like the other one. At least the intake pipe is 100% done. Big fitting for the factory plumb back BOV and small fitting for the oil catch can return. Anyway, I took some mockup pics so you can have something to look at instead of this wall of text.

Comment

thats a pretty intake pipe. is that 3 inches?

NW MAZDAS

Comment

thats def. 3". id of tapered the inlet to the blades a bit more first tho
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Yep 3". The inlet does already taper pretty well, the cover holding the bottom of my pipe up in pic 4 is a stock vf10 cover to compare sizes.
              Last edited by derb; 06-02-2012, 01:42 AM.

Comment

I'm sitting at home today with a possibly broken toe, so I thought I'd do an update.

I've been trying to install my new swaybar since Sunday but it certainly isn't an easy or simple process. Mazda had the genius idea to hide the bar right up in the guts of the suspension/steering on it's own cross-member that also supports the LCAs.

So far I've removed:
                -The front-to-back engine cross-member
                -The power steering rack mounts
                -Pulled the rack out of its mounts and off the suspension cross-member
                -Dropped the exhaust from the dump pipe
                -Removed all nuts/bolts holding the suspension cross-member in place

But the cross-member still won't move out of its home due to it sitting on the exhaust and shifter linkage. So hopefully today I can drop the shifter linkage assembly out of the car along with the rest of the exhaust and finally remove the suspension cross-member and install the new swaybar on to it. I would really recommend this job to a mechanic unless you have lots of time and tools.

EDIT: Shifter linkage is off, but the rack is still hung up on one of the mounts to the k-frame. The k-frame itself is moving around quite nicely, so I know it's just that one spot holding it back. I think I might need to grab the scissor jack and crank the k-frame back upwards to release the weight of the rack on the mount point, then once that's off the frame should come down out of the car.
                Last edited by derb; 06-11-2012, 07:25 PM.

Comment

once you've done the job it becomes immensely easier. i've dropped more subframes this method then id care to count.

Comment

OK, so after setting the steering rack free and trying to drop the k-frame, it's now fouling on the lower gearbox mount. Me and a mate can't seem to free the nuts for the mount on the gearbox easily, but I'm changing course on working on the car. It will stay in the garage for a while now and I will be upgrading some bits in the process. Work smarter, not harder.

I'll be getting a set of urethane engine mount inserts from the USA to stiffen up the mounts while the engine and gearbox are being held by the crane. Once all the mounts are off there is literally nothing holding the k-frame back except the exhaust, but I will be able to slide it over that or just suck it up and jack the rear and remove the whole system if need be.

Then everything back together with the stiffer mounts and swaybar like magic, I hope. I'll also be adjusting my oil sensors as I'm not happy with the placement of the temp sender. But none of the gauges are even in the car at this point anyway, so the oil temp, pressure and water temp senders have just been for looks all this time. So I'll at least get the waterproof connectors I bought hooked up to the senders in their new positions and run the wiring into the cabin.

Comment

Comment

Still properly into project mode and loving it. Sadly most projects are half complete so few pics yet, but I did manage to complete a respray and rebuild of one of my front brake calipers.

I've also dropped the oil and removed all but 2 sump bolts in readiness to do the seals. And once that and the other brake caliper are done I'll fully drop the k-frame and swap the swaybars. Then its wait time until my urethane engine mount inserts arrive from Amurrica.

Comment

Brake rebuilds complete. Pretty happy with this actually. I know it's not rebuilding a motor, but the time I spent on prep and assembly was long and fun.

Comment

Halfway through the sump gaskets change. Sump is off and pretty damn clean, as clean as a 20 year old sump can be. Everything looks great for the engine, the oil pickup is spotless and there was not even a spec of metal in the sump itself, so the engine and bearings should be sweet. As usual I'm still shopping for stuff, I've bought a set of urethane crossmember mounts that replace the factory rubber pieces on the front to back engine crossmember and I'm still waiting for my urethane engine mount inserts to turn up. I also bought a boost/vacuum distribution block as I currently have a mess of tubing that has been T-ed off to run things like my boost gauge and fuel pressure reg. Plus I'm going to be adding an EBC soon that will require yet another boost/vac feed. So I'm replacing the mess with one of these.

Comment

vacuum blocks are always a nifty idea!

Comment

Working...
                              X