9mm Queensland Ignition Leads
    40mm Aluminium Radiator
    Oil Catch Can
    141hp at the wheels [@ Rotary Motorsport QLD in 2009]
    'Wrinkle Red' Cam Cover
    JDM MazdaSpeed Oil Cap
    JDM Pollution Canister

Driveline:
    Rebuilt 5 Speed G-Series Gearbox [G-series Casings, G25M-R and Familia 4WD Gears]
    Custom 3-piece Double Cone Synchros on 1st, 2nd & 3rd
    PAR Straight Cut 3rd Gear
    Familia GTR 5th Gear [0.71]
    mFactory Helical LSD
    Familia GTX flywheel
    Nick's Performance Clutches Custom 5-puk Ceramic/Metallic Sprung Centre Clutch
    Short Shifter

Fluids:
    Engine: Penrite Sin 10W-70
    Gearbox: Royal Purple SynchroMax
    Brakes/Clutch: Nulon Xtreme Super Dot 4
    Cooling: Tectaloy 100+ Performance

Handling/Braking:
    BC Racing 'BR' Coilovers [6kg Front, 4kg Rear]
    Whiteline Strut Braces [Front & Rear]
    35mm Double Offset Urethane Front LCA Bushes
    Urethane Front & Rear Swaybar Link Bushes
    DOHC Front Brake Rotors/Callipers/Hubs
    QFM A1RM Brake Pads [front]
    QFM HPX Brake Pads [rear]

Wheels/Tyres:
    Street:
    JDM MazdaSpeed MS-03 15" Rims
    Yokohama S.Drive 205/50/15 [Front]
    Toyo R1R 205/50/15 [Rear]
    Track:
    Rota 'Mesh' 15" Rims
    Kumho KU-36 [Front & Rear]

Exterior:
    JDM Familia Front Grill Badge
    JDM Rear Centre Garnish
    JDM Tail/Brake Lights
    JDM 'GT-X' Badging [Rear]
    JDM MazdaSpeed Badging [Rear]
    JDM 'DOHC Turbo' Badging [Sides]
    Darkest Legal Tint
    Complete LED Bulb Replacement
    'Race Spec' Tow Hook

Interior:
    Autometer Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge
    Autometer Boost/Vac Gauge
    Gizzmo DSII Shfit Light
    Apex'i Turbo Timer
    Familia GTX Front Seats
    JDM Factory Option MOMO Leather Steering Wheel
    Leather Shifter & Handbrake Boots
    Complete LED Bulb Replacement
    Stinger Alarm [Immobiliser, Central Locking & Remote Entry]

Stereo:
    Pioneer DEH-3100UB Head Unit
    Response AA0426 4x100w Amp
    2x Pioneer TS-A1672S 3-Way 6" Speakers
    Kicker VC-124 Comp 12" 300w Sub in box

Gallery of recent pics

Hey everyone, this is my Astina that has been and will continue to be an ongoing project. Bought it 3 years ago with the full BPT conversion complete and not much else. The previous owner had removed half the interior and there was paint on pretty any other panel since he was a painter's apprectice. It's taken a while but the interior is now complete and in great condition and I've been pushing the JDM style/engine mods for the last 6 months since pretty much everything else was perfect.

At the moment I'm prepping for a hybrid turbo conversion [vj20\vf10] with a front mount intercooler. I've got a fuel reg and SAFC hooked up doing very little at the moment but will be required when I change injectors. Speaking of which, I have rebuilt a set of 550cc RX-7 plug and play injectors which will go in with the hybrid turbo and then off to a dyno for some tuning.

I've also got a crappy 2.25" exhaust with a leak somewhere that I am planning to replace it with a nicer 2.5" setup. I already have a nice dump pipe that comes off the factory BPT dump so I just need a cat and a muffler. Since I bought the car it has been sooo quiet, and while I'm no fan of stupid cars that make ear-splitting exhaust noises, I wouldn't mind hearing the exhaust over the turbo spooling noise every now and then.

The only benefit with the current system is zero boost creep. Just with my Turbotech boost tee it goes right up to 13psi from about 3000rpm and bleeds down to about 12psi right up the top, which you would expect from a stock VJ20. I'm looking for 200+hp at the wheels to keep me happy for another year or 2.

If anyone wants more info on any of the mods just ask and I'll write up some details.
    Last edited by derb; 06-26-2012, 11:01 PM.

Cool car, thanks for sharing. I wish we had those over here.
    sigpic
    1992 Familia GT-X
    1988 323 GTX
    2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
    2014 Civic Touring

Comment

seen your pictures on reddit r/autos ! welcome to the club. also make sure to port the wastegate on the vf10, should eliminate the boost creep significantly

NW MAZDAS

Comment

Yeh it's the vj20 port I need to machine. I'm still trying to work out how to remove the wastegate flap from the vf10 and connect it to the vj20 'arm'. Or should I just port the gate to the size limits of the vj20 flap?

I've got a vj20 deconstructed with the rear ready to port, I'm just still working on 2 of the 4 bolts holding the vf10 together, rusted/sticky bastards. I've got a set of super wrenches that will totally grab the bolt head, but the tool manages to pull the turbo out of the vice before cracking the nut. I think I just to try a few different angles of attack. I've got tons of wd40 and cans of freeze spray, but I think it will all depend of the amount of torque I can exert on the bolts.

Comment

clean car! wheels suit it well too!

personally with my GTX setup, I just bored the wastegate hole to almost the size of the vj20 flapper and I have no boost creep issues...mind you I'm only running 9psi (no mbc).
          -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda_Powered View Post
            personally with my GTX setup, I just bored the wastegate hole to almost the size of the vj20 flapper and I have no boost creep issues...mind you I'm only running 9psi (no mbc).
            Sounds good to me. I would like to run up to 16psi though, so time will tell for mine.

Comment

From what I've read the VJ20 is only good for around 15psi (1 bar) of boost. But you can hybrid the turbo and run more probably.
              -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda_Powered View Post
                From what I've read the VJ20 is only good for around 15psi (1 bar) of boost. But you can hybrid the turbo and run more probably.
                That's what I'm doing. Hybrid of the vj20 rear housing and vf10 core and compressor. Should be able to run 16-18psi through that turbo. I'm running 13psi on the stock turbo at the moment since the boost cut is @ 14.7psi [1 bar] and I don't trust a manual bleed valve to hold boost that accurately.

I've been reading through you thread too, not even half way and I'm already seeing things I can do to mine.

Comment

I got my turbos back from East Coast Customs and the work is great. They ported the waste gate as far as possible and welded the flap in place to ensure a tight fit when closed. They also cracked the 2 bolts on the VF10 that I couldn't break, and I split the turbo this morning.

I'll mock up the hybrid on my spare manifold and use the other VJ20 as a guide for the oil and water lines. Then I should be able to fit it over the course of a day with just some slightly modified piping going to the stock side mount intercooler for now.

Comment

love those rims, wish i had a set.
                    93 323, 94 MX-3, 04 MSM, 83 Jeep Cherokee, 87 b2000
                    www.gunshowracing.com

Comment

I finally got around to spraying and installing my dump pipe heat shield. Now I have full set and they don't look too bad in the engine bay if you ask me. When fitting the dump shield I noticed a wet lower rad pipe. Turned out the engine side clamp had failed/threaded itself at some point. So I had to dump out a pretty fresh load Redline Water Wetter. And since Burson's were closed I had to get Tectaloy. At least I found it now and not up a mountain somewhere.

I also fitted the oil catch can I've had sitting around for a few weeks. The setup going into the factory intake isn't the nicest thing you'll see, but it works. And it's not entirely useless since I have noticed a bit of blow by in the intake pipe.

Comment

Well ****...

At least it's only panels and no damage to the chassis or engine bay.

Comment

ouch. that really sux. at least your going to fix it though. the car is def worth saving!
                          ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                          ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
                          What are you driving?

Comment

yikes that hurts. I've always drooled over the astinas. I wish we had them stateside. good luck getting it back on the road.

Comment

Thanks guys, luckily my insurance company has agreed to waive the excess and will be taking care of the whole thing in a 'valet' service apparently. So I really just got a front end respray for free, which I have been wanting for years now. Careful what you wish for folks!

Comment

Working...
                              X