MFactory G Series LSD incorrect bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MFactory G Series LSD incorrect bolts

For those who bought the MFactory 26 spline LSD in the group buy, did the supplied bolts fit the holes in the ring gear? If your bolts didn't fit, did you try to get the correct bolts from MFactory or just have the ring gear holes enlarged? Are the correct bolts even available from MFactory? I hate to have to pay a machine shop to enlarge the holes as the ring gear is some pretty hard metal and isn't likely to be cheap.

Somebody else had the same problem and ended up getting their ring gear drilled. The machine shop did a crappy job though and made the holes too large.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...g-mfactory-lsd

--Ferdi
    If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
    -----
    Miscellaneous Pics of Turbo Protege Build
    Big Front Brake Install using Wilwood Calipers
    Factory Service Manuals and Familia Brochures - PDF

Comment

I saw that post and wanted to avoid the same outcome. The redrilled holes need to be a slip fit. I think a competent machine shop could do the job properly bur at a price. I've emailed MFactory about the problem so we'll see what if anything they'll do about making it right.

Comment

I think the problem was my cousin took it too the machine shop and didn't explain it right. I put it in as is haven't had any problems yet.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk
        12 cbr250r: daily ride
        01 saab 9-3: daily
        98 gsxr 1100: for sale
        93L: money pit/ space waster
        92GL: low and slow beater
        90?: the rust free shell
        89LX: swapping to rust free shell
        89L: for sale
        89L: parts
        87 conquest: dohc 4g64 swap underway
        76+80 vw dashers: for sale

Comment

yeah you have to give a machine shop some tolerances or they can make them whatever they want lol.
          2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
          1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

The ring gear is centered on the LSD itself, not by the bolts. Ideally, you'd like the bolt holes as tight as possible but it shouldn't hurt anything too much if they're oversized a bit
            1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
            1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
            www.werbatfik.com

Comment

MFactory is not responding to my email. Does anyone have a contact name and tel. # I can try? I still want to see if they can supply the correct bolts. I tried the 1-801-791-9582 number on their website and I get a generic voicemail recording to leave a message.

Comment

FWIW, I finally heard back form MFactory re: bolt issue. Bottom line as I suspected, upgrade to different ring gear or drill out the holes in the current ring gear. According to them, the undersized ring gear holes was a 1 in 100 chance and it was not cost effective for them to manufacture a different bolt to fit. Oh well, it was worth a try.

Comment

It's a load of BS.... An 800$ differential should come with the right bolts. I just had the same problem, I spent an hour on the phone with the Honda tech guy, he measured a few Honda bolts and they wouldn't work. I told him my transmission was from a mercury capri(xr2 cable clutch G series) and he laughed, said I was trying to put a square peg in a round hole since its not a Mazda/ Ford g series, and I didn't get any help after that. He had been looking for an excuse to blow me off the whole time, tried to tell me I ordered the wrong one, but the only other options are 28 spline and a H series? Diff. He said he would tell the japanese guy to answer his emails, but after a week I got tired of waiting. I took the ring gear to 3 different machine shops and NONE of them could drill it, the metal was too hard. I ended up having to spend 20 minutes on each hole with a dremel tool and a stone bit(it was pink) to ream out the holes enough to get the shoulders thru. I HOPE the metals don't expand too much and pop the heads off the bolts. There wasn't much play in them, probably less than .005"...

I think they need to do some more R&D before they keep selling bad parts. What ya gonna do tho, Mazda diffs are junk and quaifes aren't cheap.
                  Last edited by zoom-zoom; 04-15-2012, 06:20 AM.
                  1993 Ford Festiva - Fiona/b6 swap
                  1997 Ford Aspire - Peaspire/rescued restored and sold
                  1994 Ford Aspire - Kiazord/BPG5MR Swap
                  1999 Mazda 626 - exDD, sold
                  1997 Ford Aspire - Babyspire, stock low miles&clean
                  1994 Ford Aspire - Crustyspire, scrapped
                  2003 Chrysler T&C - grocery getter

Comment

The Diff's that Mfactory had per R&D there were zero issues.
                    If you want to blame someone. Blame mazda for foolishly designing 2 types of ring gears
                    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Im with Ryan, you have to understand that the G-series gearbox was used in 50 different cars over a 20 year period. There is bound to be some revisions in that time and a few oddball parts. If you have a problem with drilling a few holes out to a slightly larger size, than maybe you shouldnt be modifying a car.

Comment

Working...
                      X