Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to: Install Sparco Steering wheel on Protege 5's, MSP's, ES, LX, DX and MP3's

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to: Install Sparco Steering wheel on Protege 5's, MSP's, ES, LX, DX and MP3's

This applies to all Sparco, Nardi, Momo, etc 6 bolt steering wheels.

*disclaimer*
    This can be a very dangerous procedure if not careful. Im assume no responsibility for any damage or injury that may occur while doing the modification. This is merely the way I did it and would like to share my experiences.

I installed my Sparco Strada steering wheel lastnight. Not a difficult install at all. Everything went smoothly.

I first started by removing the negative cable on the battery.

I then pressed the brake pedal for about 30 seconds to fully discharge the system.
    I removed the dust cover caps to expose the (2) 10mm bolts that attach the airbag. These are loctaed under the steering wheel. one on the passenger side, and one on the drivers side.

Remove the 10mm bolts using a long extension. When doing this, its a good idea to not sit directly in the path of the air bag, just in case.

Unplug the yellow connector and remove air bag and again, not facing the air bag by holding it away from you.

Heres what you should have now.

Next, unplug the white connector.
    With a 21mm socket and short extension, remove the center nyloc not that holds the wheel in place. (no pic of that lol)

After you unplug the connector, and remove the nyloc nut, wiggle the steering wheel till it comes off. You'll need to guide the plugs through the open cutout, then the wheel is free.
    [/img]
    This is what you're left with.

Now you must remove the steering column trim by removing the 3 bolts located underneath the column.
    dont have to remove the lower piece entirely, just pull it down enough to get the extra room you need to get at the next bolts. I did remove the upper piece though.

Remove the 3 screws, and unplug the yellow and black connectors.

Then remove the unit.

Now this is where my dilemma starts. I have no idea how I would hook up a horn as I only see these 2 connectors. I dont really want to start cutting up any oem wiring, so I just reinstalled the steering trim and tucked those wires away for now till I figure out what to do.
    The new goods.

Now install the hub using the 21mm nyloc nut. In this case its an NRG short hub. On the back of the hub there are 2 holes. These must line up with the 2 white nylon studs.

Not real happy with those gaps that shows the inards of the steering column. But its a solid piece no doubt.

Next, grab the base of the quick release unit.

Install it using the screws and allen key supplied. Tighten them in a criss cross pattern.

Now go grab your steering wheel, a Sparco Strada for me.
    Take the locking portion of the quick release unit and bolt it to the steering wheel. You'll need to purchase 10mm momo sparco nardi nrg etc bolts as the wheel does not come whith them.

Next install your horn button and apply Sparco sticker.

Comparison: stock vs Sparco Strada 350mm.

and locked on the car. I must say, it locks SOLID. No play whatsoever. Awesome!

I LOVE LOVE the way it feels when driving. Also, removing it is pretty cool too I must say. Makes nice solid clunk as it locks in position. lol
    I've had a few wheels on different cars in the past and forgot how they truly transform the driving experience in a car. Really nice.
    However, the turn signals will only turn off after making more than a 90* turn. Regular turns it stays on constantly. I'll have to look into that.
    Oh and the airbag light is flashing so I delete that bulb in the dash soon. lol
    Last edited by goldstar; 03-05-2012, 10:58 AM.

Nice right up bro
    sigpic

Comment

Nicely detailed, informative proceedure. When you resolve the problems you encountered, be sure to post an update.

Let's make this a sticky.

Happy Motoring!
      02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
      MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
      MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
      Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
      Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
      Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
      Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
      Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
      Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
      Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

wow! stickied! thanks guys.
        I will indeed post up when I resolve these minor issues.
        But otherwise, Im really enjoying this wheel.

Comment

ok, I got the signals to work properly.
          Turns out I had rotated the NRG hub so the holes would line up with the notches on the factory turn signal cancel unit. (not sure of the actual name. lol. not the clock spring as I removed that). They need to stay horizontal.
          So I removed the hub, rotated the turn signal cancel back to horizontal, also rotated the hub as well to match and now the blinkers work perfectly.

heres a pic of what I mean.

and the hub.

next up is to get the horn working. I have an idea about this that should work.
          I'll keep you posted.

Comment

keep up the good work.
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

thanks very much.

I found the pin for the horn, added a wire from that pin to the brass grounding surface on the nrg hub and wired everything back up, no horn.
              back to the drawing board. lol

Comment

purchased this new NRG hub lock. I was lucky enough to get one of the first one's ever produced in neo chrome before anyone thanks to http://www.robearracing.com/
                I know if they really want the car they will just tow it or whatever but still, I feel better with this on when parking in certain places.

still trying to figure out the horn sitch. lol

Comment

interesting piece..... not sure what it does tho
                  ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

well, when i installed the NRG quick realease hub, the car is now vunerable to to thieves. They can simply use their own steering wheel with the same hub and steal the car that way. (Although I cant imagine a crook walking around with a steering wheel/quick realease hub assembly. lol but wouldnt surprise me. lol)
                    Now with this lock in place, a crook cant just walk up with his wheel and drive away.
                    I did some research prior to buying this, and I saw a post about a guy lost his keys to this lock. He had a pro locksmith come out and he couldnt pick the lock. So they had to hacksaw it off, which took over an hour. No crook will take an hour to steal something. if he cant get the car in seconds or minutes, its likely he will move on to another less protected vehicle.

Comment

understood!. dont' lose your keys tho!!!

Comment

Okay, so I understand that you have the airbag light because you disconnected the yellow plug, which has two pins. What if you bridged the wires, would the light go away?

Comment

did the wire trick work?I heard you can use a small resistor 2.5 ohm I think not but gonna try on my wheel swap.

Comment

I like the carbon fiber cluster cover,do u mind if I asked where you got it from.

zoom zoom

Comment

The sparco wheel looking nice.

zoom zoom

Comment

Working...
                              X