Awd mp5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awd mp5

Yeah, you read the title correctly. I recently took a flying leap of faith from the bg to bj world to do what most consider to be too much. However, I'm going to change up the norm and make this wagon interesting

Current plans are to keep it running for a few months as is before getting down and dirty with the rwd conversion. If that fails to work out, my bp will have to go in early as fwd for a bit.

Anyways here's the subject I picked up for this venture. 2002 silver MP5 5 speed.

I think the resident peacocks like it. They've been harassing it in the driveway since I got it.

The POS that lives under the hood currently... It's gotta go asap!

More to come.....
    Last edited by jinx; 05-16-2012, 09:15 PM.

Flyrtle 6.0 Dynojet @ 15psi on BP26 ECU 229.31 whp / 229.95 ft-lb
    HPLogic Mustang Dyno @ 15psi on MS1 v3 226 whp / 195 ft-lb [HD Video]
    Soon to be powered by a Precision snail on crack...

Add me on more pictures of my projects can be found there.

what drivetrain??
    ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
    ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
    What are you driving?

Comment

As far as engine and trans goes, my bpt mated to a Miata 6 speed. The rear end is going to take quite a bit of R&D and I've yet to put much thought into it.

Comment

they made the GE chassis in a AWD version. and the protege5 uses the exact same suspension set up as the GE chassis. so just source the rear suspension set up from one of the AWD GE's.
        ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
        ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
        What are you driving?

Comment

I've noticed the similarities, but, it's probably more of a headache finding said stuff, then it will be to find another solution. One that can either be had locally or fabricated from scratch.

Comment

Even though I'm watching on fb I'm subbin here as well.
            1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
            1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
            2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
            2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
            .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Why not go Miata Rear end. I used one for the rear half of my AWD festiva swap. Double wishbone is pretty nice...

You can also do a lot with it, as far as mustang independent rear swaps and such...
              2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
              1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

For some reason all I can think of is a CTS-V wagon fighter, haha. Subbing in for the build.

I also think of the Miata rear end whenever I hear about a RWD or AWD build. I've thought about that for my car, but I don't have the money or skills for that kind of job.

How much different are RX-8 rear ends compared to everything else?

Comment

From what I've heard and read, the Miata factory diffs won't take much abuse before giving up. Never really cared about the rx8 enough to do any research on it.. so I wouldn't have any clue.
                  Last edited by jinx; 03-28-2012, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jinx View Post
                    From what I've heard and read, the Miata factory diffs won't take much abuse before giving up. Never really cared about the rx8 enough to do any research on it.. so I wouldn't have any clue.
                    That's true for the rear ends on the 1.6. Not so true for the 1.8s. Definitely not true with the 6spds, and WAYYYYYY untrue for the Mazdaspeeds.

Looking forward to sawzall pictures!!!!!

Comment

Like these?

Originally posted by Nerd Racing View Post
                      Hookay so...

Welded in the rear floor piece and finished welding the boxed in portions and sprayed some etch primer on the bare metal parts:

Then some sealer:

Then I did some black topcoat for now:

I will be coating the whole floor with either por-15 or bed liner when I decide what I want to do. I'm leaning towards bed liner because there isn't rust to paint over and por-15 doesn't work well unless there is rust to bite into.

etch primed the bottom of the sub frame:

Then sealed it:

Then top coated:

The under side will get rubberized undercoating after I install it back in there tomorrow or Saturday (Depends on if I go out for St. Patrick's day eve).

I should be final installing and aligning the rear end Tomorrow or Saturday as well.

Also, got email confirmation that my struts will arrive on the 22nd, but I have to sign for them... so I may just take a half a day so I can get them and not have to wait an additional day cuz fedex kinda sucks like that. The UPS guy will just leave stuff for me now cuz I signed a waiver thing once.
                      [QUOTE=Nerd Racing;498352]Updates!

Cleaned out the Miata diff housing and installed new stub axle seals:

BF 323 GTX diff carrier and diff in place in the miata housing:

I forgot the carrier to housing bolts so I was unable to seal and fill the diff...

Subs in place:

This gives you an idea of how the shaft will have to run to the back:

Dropped out and assembled the rear suspension... then I remembered I still need to seal and bolt in the diff carrier... woops...

Checked the shock to axle clearance and things look good, I was worried because the VW struts do not neck down at the bottom like the festiva ones do.

Just another shot because I thought it looked cool:

(quoted from my build thread on the festiva forums)
                      2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
                      1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

^ acquiring the Miata 6 speed isn't going to be cheap. They still go for a lot used I might be able to pull a few strings to get one cheap. Then again, it's highly possible we may be able to get it via our junkyards. SFL junkyards FTW!

After about $35 in misc. bulbs last night, it's now 96% road legal! Still need new headlight housings, taillight housings , tires, wheels, and some other misc. stuff for now. I've been so drained of energy lately, that I barely wanna step outside to look at the thing.. The wife will end up choking me if I do anything too naughty to it this early in She's actually all for me putting my motor into it! Gotta love having a gearhead wife

Comment

Nerd, do you have any measurements of the Miata rear subframe mounting points handy?

Comment

Originally posted by jinx View Post
                            ^ acquiring the Miata 6 speed isn't going to be cheap. They still go for a lot used I might be able to pull a few strings to get one cheap. Then again, it's highly possible we may be able to get it via our junkyards. SFL junkyards FTW!

After about $35 in misc. bulbs last night, it's now 96% road legal! Still need new headlight housings, taillight housings , tires, wheels, and some other misc. stuff for now. I've been so drained of energy lately, that I barely wanna step outside to look at the thing.. The wife will end up choking me if I do anything too naughty to it this early in She's actually all for me putting my motor into it! Gotta love having a gearhead wife
                            The transmissions aren't necessary, the 5spd will handle more than you'll likely make.... it's the rear end. As long as you've got a 1.8 rear end, you should be fine. I wouldn't worry about grenading them unless 1) you make more than 350whp, and 2) you drive like a moron.

Comment

Originally posted by concealer404 View Post
                              the 5spd will handle more than you'll likely make....
                              Oh yeah? I beg to differ. On one tune and the old turbo setup, I already hit 260-270ish whp mark and that was only at 15psi.. I'll have no trouble making my goal of 400-450 with the new turbo/manifold plus bottom end and a lil head work. There's a few Miata guys making well over that on the 6 speeds successfully. It's happening come hell or high water!

Comment

Working...
                              X