Locked in third

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Locked in third

Last winter I got stuck in the snow and while trying to rock the car out my trans got stuck in third gear. I finally pulled the trans and took it apart. I was expecting a broken fork but everything looks good. I pulled the case but left everything together and was able to spread the gears apart enough to see if the gears that are supposed to free spin could, third does not. Is this possible the gear welded itself to the shaft or am I missing something?
    93 Tracer LTS-RX7 VAM & filter, UD pulley, SVT focus muffler sold but not forgotten
    87 Mustang LX- MM suspension, stroked and blown
    06 MazdaSpeed 6- MS intake, Corksport TIP, bilsteins
    11 F150 FX4 supercrew Ecoboost
    00 F150 Sport w/bolt ons
    96 mustang gt some MM susp, PM3L rear, motor 100% stock

Dunno man, not enough info.
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	trans.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	1231144

I am pointing to the gear I beleive should rotate free
      93 Tracer LTS-RX7 VAM & filter, UD pulley, SVT focus muffler sold but not forgotten
      00 F150 Sport w/bolt ons

Comment

yes it should rotate free since the counter gear is locked, That gear should only be locked when the gear is engaged
        91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

Then that is my problem. Weird that is is seized up, bearing must be shot? So I assume I must pull the shaft and either pull everything off and replace or find a whole assembly.
          00 F150 Sport w/bolt ons

Comment

did you check the gate? or the acuator rods? both of those being what actually shifts the gears id check that first.
            "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
            -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
            *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
            172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
            New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

you would have to pull everything off that shaft to the point that you can gain acess to that gear. being that the bearing is siezed you would probably have to press that gear off and there is a good chance for gear or shaft damage but who knows. maybe you are one of those people with anus horseshoes. only take it apart if that gear doesnt not rotate on that shaft while the sleeve isnt engaging that gear.
              91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

everything else in the trans works and moves great. So what is the cheapest route, finding a used cluster or having a trans shop press that off?
                00 F150 Sport w/bolt ons

Comment

Yep the 3rd gear bearing froze to the shaft. I took it to the trans shop to see if they could pull it off and just swap a new bearing on and they stated that unfortunetly the shaft will most likely be galled and ovalled (sp). So I am in the market for an input shaft if anyone has one laying around.
                  00 F150 Sport w/bolt ons

Comment

Working...
                  X