general 5 speed questions before reassembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

general 5 speed questions before reassembly

Ok I have this G series tranny apart, and I'm getting ready to put it back together, but I have a few questions..

1) is there any way to tell from looking at it/playing with the gearsets what kind of shape the clutches/synchros are in? I haven't ran this transmission yet, and don't even know what I'm looking at.

2) I replaced the input shaft seal and the outter race for the shaft bearing came out and went in a little too easy, it spins in the housing. Is this something I should be concerned with or just run it? The race on the other end, and the one for the secondary shaft in the case with the bell housing also spin.

3) I think everything is set to neutral, but when I turn any gear wether on the primary/secondary shaft or the ring gear itself, they all spin. Is that right for being in neutral?
    1993 Ford Festiva - Fiona/b6 swap
    1997 Ford Aspire - Peaspire/rescued restored and sold
    1994 Ford Aspire - Kiazord/BPG5MR Swap
    1999 Mazda 626 - exDD, sold
    1997 Ford Aspire - Babyspire, stock low miles&clean
    1994 Ford Aspire - Crustyspire, scrapped
    2003 Chrysler T&C - grocery getter

1) the synchro rings' teeth should be at direct 'pointy" angles, and not rounded and worn.

2) I'm not 100% sure, but that doesn't sound quite right to me. i can't remember having that problem, but it's been years since I had a trans open to play with.

4) something seems to be engaged, but it might just be that you can't turn it by hand to make it spin freely.

--sarge

Comment

For number 3, I'd say try grabbing the clutch splines of the input shaft and spin it o see if the movement is being transferred to the ring gear. Try holding the ring gear in place while doing it. If you can't spin the input shaft while holding the ring gear in place, I'd say something is engaged. Got any pictures?

Comment

worn synchro:

Comment

Got a bunch of pics, like a lot of pics..if you want to go thru them here's my photobucket album with the pics.. but I'll try to get some tonite a little closer up to the shafts.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Last edited by zoom-zoom; 04-04-2012, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Ok here's some pics, IMO, the first gear is a little worn, but the rest are fairly decent. Is there any easy way to swap one of the 2,3,4,5th gear synchros for the first gear synchro??

Also, if I hold the differential still, and twist the primary shaft, the differential won't spin, but it wants to. I think with a little lube (atf) on the gearsets it will be right again.

Comment

to me, those look a little worn, but pretty darned good. I wouldn't replace them, they're actually better than the ones in my wagon when I last looked at them. and I haven't had that trans opened up for about 4-5 years.

-sarge

Comment

Yea the transmission had 92k on it, so its probably just wear and teAr.. I'm just going to put the case back together when I get a minute and be done with it. I was hoping I would come across g25mr gearsets to use instead of these with 3.85 fdr gear, but I haven't and I need to put this thing together before my fiance kills me. The 626 5th gear swap would have been nice tho, the only thing I can find local is the fail cd4e transmissions, and there's a ton of those.

Anyone have a suggestion as to how I'm supposed to torque the shaft nuts on top of the 5th gears, I've been trying to think of a way to hold the shafts still but can't come up with a solid idea that doesn't end with me breaking something.

Comment

Working...
                X