Mazda's "tribute" to the 626

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mazda's "tribute" to the 626

The new 2014 Mazda6 is one of the most highly anticipated upcoming midsize sedans, all thanks to the stunning Takeri concept car we first saw at the 2011 Tokyo Motor Show. Now, Mazda says the Takeri-based sedan is scheduled to go on sale in early 2013, which should guarantee that the remainder of this year will be full of spy shots, rumors, and teasers of the new Mazda6. The official announcement was released at 6:26 a.m. EST, which was likely an intentional throwback to the 626 sedan. If you don’t recall the long-departed 626, you’re not missing out – the 2014 Mazda6 should be 626 times better.

The 2014 Mazda6 will be the next model to adopt the brand’s Kodo design language, which is featured on the 2013 Mazda CX-5. Among the key styling features of the Takeri (shown here) is the large, pentagon-shaped grille, varying character lines, and wide, accentuated fenders. Inside, the dashboard and seats are simple and modern, while the three-spoke, flat-bottom steering wheel with paddle shifters hints at the sedan’s sporty nature.

Powertrain details haven’t been released, but expect a gas-powered, naturally aspirated, four-cylinder to serve as the base engine. The bigger news, however, is the possibility of an available Skyactiv-D diesel engine, meaning the Volkswagen Passat TDI might soon have a direct competitor. The Skyactiv-D should also help the 2014 Mazda6 stand out in a segment where most competitors employ hybrids or forced-induction for their fuel-saving variants. The new Mazda6 is expected to debut with an engine start/stop system, lightweight body construction, as well as improved automatic and manual gearboxes. The new Mazda6 will also feature the new i-ELOOP regenerative braking system, which uses capacitors to store energy that will power the climate system, stereo, and other accessory electrical items.

Once the 2014 Mazda6 arrives, expect it to compete again other stylish four-doors including the Volkswagen Passat, Ford Fusion, and Kia Optima.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/2012-new-y...#ixzz1r4j9uUNU

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mazda-Takeri-Concept-front-three-quarter-623x389.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1267800

Thought at least some of you 626 lovers would enjoy that Mazda hasn't forgotten the car

they'd never forget about the 626! I'm sure owners are calling into Mazda every other day for ignition components

nice link tho man, car looks kinda weird tho! haha
    -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Haha, I found it amusing

And yeah, the styling is going to be toned down a bit for production. Just like the Minagi concept -> CX-5.

Comment

that front end is horrendous.... i certainly hope its "toned down"
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Minagi:

CX-5:

Comment

^^^changing the mirrors/wheels for the front fascia doesn't count.
            idk what mazda was thinking in recent years. the front end of all new line mazdas.... just appalling gaping retarded front ends.
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

the CX5 and the new 6 are the only ones to be released with the 'KODO' design ryan. every other mazda built in the last half decade was a totally different design style called 'Nagaro' or some **** like that. which i agree, looked retarded and was going to put mazda out of business if they kept building those horribly looking cars.
              ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
              ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
              What are you driving?

Comment

Kodo - Soul of Motion
                Nagare - Flow

Kodo is the new design language that all Mazda vehicles will eventually adopt. They're moving away from the smiley-faced Nagare style. The CX-5 and Mazda6 are the first two to adopt the Kodo design. The MX-5 Miata should be next considering they just released a limited run of Special Editions for the US, meaning the end of the current generation. The Mazda3 was just refreshed so it will be a couple years before it receives the new style. The next rotary-powered car could come after the Miata, if they haven't gotten that figured out yet, then maybe the CX-9. The CX-7 is being replaced by the CX-5 because it boasts more interior room, despite being smaller on the outside.
                Last edited by irishkev90; 04-04-2012, 06:48 PM.

Comment

after driving both a CX7 in the past, and recently a CX5. i can totally understand mazda giving up on the CX7. it just cant compare to the CX5 in any way other then power output. but that is seriously the lone plus it has over the CX5.
                  ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                  ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
                  What are you driving?

Comment

And if that's the only problem with the CX-5, wait for the diesel. 310lb-ft of torque at 1,500 rpm plus a 5,200 rpm redline, it will be plenty of power for the size of the CX-5.

Comment

Working...
                    X