Kia transmission confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kia transmission confusion

Alright, 626ers, I've been told and read that the G-series transmission is essentially the same between the BP powered cars and KL powered. It's recently been brought to my attention that the BP and KL bell housing bolt patterns are different.

As stated in the title, I have a Kia Sephia G-series transmission that I was told was a direct swap. Is that true? Or will I need to swap bell housings?

Thanks in advance, I'm quite confused at the moment.

It's the internals that make them all essentially the same thing, personally I'm not familiar with people being able to swap cases and have transmissions swap over from KL to BP...but I may be wrong.
    -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

What year KIA sephia? 94-97 are a direct swap if you have the axles and a BP powered car. if it's a Z5 I don't know if the IM shaft bolt pattern is the same or not.
      2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
      1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Just to clarify, you want to bolt this to your Z5? I see you mention KL in there...lol
        -Jack

Comment

No, I'm ditching the Z5. The transmission came from a 94-97 BP powered Sephia.

Comment

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

basically the ONLY part different is the bellhousing half. internally they are identical to the Kia box.
            "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
            -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
            *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
            172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
            New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

err.. exhibit B:

-Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.

Comment

Well then, looks like a bell housing swap is needed, assuming the BP case is the one in the back.

Here's mine:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	252848_10150201769537218_647307217_7263262_3717128_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1231221
                (ignore the numbers)

Click image for larger version

Name:	180398_10150092966602218_647307217_6439681_2604560_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1231222
                Last edited by irishkev90; 04-17-2012, 07:53 AM.

Comment

basically yes, just need to swap the bellhousing, id sell you this one cheap but it kinda has a big hole in it.. lol

yes forgot to post the one in the back, and left on the 2nd pick is the BP g series. the other is a late 90's kl bellhousing
                  -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Originally posted by MD323 View Post
                    basically yes, just need to swap the bellhousing, id sell you this one cheap but it kinda has a big hole in it.. lol
                    Hmm, weren't people looking for an E153/KL adapter plate, or is there one already somewhere out there? With that broken KL bellhousing, I should be able to make one.

--Ferdi
                    If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
                    -----
                    Miscellaneous Pics of Turbo Protege Build
                    Big Front Brake Install using Wilwood Calipers
                    Factory Service Manuals and Familia Brochures - PDF

Comment

there where but there are concerns about the width or something, if anything like that gets going i have a surplus of such parts thanks to some high HP KL's down here
                      -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Width and starter location IIRC.
                        -Jack

Comment

Has anyone here tried to swap the bell housings? I know they're probably "close" but close =/= same.. by the time your average first timer swaps the clutch housings, they have countless hours, headaches, one time use tools, and days worth of part searching for the right spacers and hopefully new bearings and seals they replace. The EGT g series and capri xr2 g series are always referred to as the same, but they are not, I spent weeks trying to get my xr2 transmission together after I put an mfactory differential in it because they are NOT the same like everyone says. Best bet is to just buy the transmission you need for your motor, you will spend as much or more rebuilding and getting the custom machine work done, and with a jy tranny, usually you get a short warranty incase it doesn't work.

There are also differences in the way the engine is clocked, or the way the differential is clocked, however you want to look at it, between g series transmissions.
                          Last edited by zoom-zoom; 04-25-2012, 01:27 AM.
                          1993 Ford Festiva - Fiona/b6 swap
                          1997 Ford Aspire - Peaspire/rescued restored and sold
                          1994 Ford Aspire - Kiazord/BPG5MR Swap
                          1999 Mazda 626 - exDD, sold
                          1997 Ford Aspire - Babyspire, stock low miles&clean
                          1994 Ford Aspire - Crustyspire, scrapped
                          2003 Chrysler T&C - grocery getter

Comment

Originally posted by ftjandra View Post
                            Hmm, weren't people looking for an E153/KL adapter plate, or is there one already somewhere out there? With that broken KL bellhousing, I should be able to make one.

--Ferdi
                            I'm so in for one of those aswell.
                            1993 Mercury Tracer, KLDE VItara build swap, Compound turbos, 12 injectors, 2 wastegates, 2 Megasquirts, 2 axles, 2 everything, why not

2nd Compounded KL in the world

Comment

Originally posted by irishkev90 View Post
                              Alright, 626ers, I've been told and read that the G-series transmission is essentially the same between the BP powered cars and KL powered. It's recently been brought to my attention that the BP and KL bell housing bolt patterns are different.

As stated in the title, I have a Kia Sephia G-series transmission that I was told was a direct swap. Is that true? Or will I need to swap bell housings?

Thanks in advance, I'm quite confused at the moment.
                              yeah you could just swap the housings but you wont know the endplay unless you check it with a torque wrench that reads 2in./lbs . If your not pushing high hp like myself then I wouldn't worry too much about it though.
                              1993 Mercury Tracer, KLDE VItara build swap, Compound turbos, 12 injectors, 2 wastegates, 2 Megasquirts, 2 axles, 2 everything, why not

2nd Compounded KL in the world

Comment

Working...
                              X