1995 Protege 1.5l Turbo setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1995 Protege 1.5l Turbo setup

I want to run a turbo setup on my 1.5l protege but I'm getting so much different information that I don't know where to begin. I've heard that I need a gt25 or 28 but I would also like to know exactly everything else I would need for the entire turbo setup to be complete.

Everything will need to be custom. The compression ratio is 9.4:1, I'm not sure if that's too high for a turbo or not, but looking at a Honda site, they say it would be fine tor about 6 pounds of boost with proper tuning. As far as I know, there's no aftermarket pistons for the 1.5L so you'll have to build it around the stock internals.

Comment

I've been doing some more research and to most people it seems spending the money on this 1.5L isn't worth it for the power gain. What kind of power can I even expect from a turbo 1.5l? I'm stating to look at prices and I'm already above $2,000!

Comment

Probably not much power out of it. The 1.8L engines have factory turbo setups that you can usually piece together from sale threads here pretty cheap. But then of course you'd need the 1.8L (BP) engine.

Comment

Look up a member named RicardoS. He boosted his z5. Don't think you'd get much reliable power out of that motor. The 1.8 is a very stout motor and can handle abuse. Is look into a motor swap first.
          1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
          1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
          2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
          2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
          .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Didn't he have a ton of problems and blown motors, though?

Comment

you can swap a B6D head onto the engine and have lower compression so tuning is a little more forgiving.
              2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
              1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

like turpro said, your best bet is swapping in a DOHC 1.8 bp engine. There are a lot more options available for turbo setups. You can go oem turbo or even custom ramhorn and a big turbo w/ built internals.
                -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
                VF10 powered!
                262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

^Forgot about the head swap. Is there a turbo manifold for the B6? That would cut costs if there is.

Comment

The b6d he's talking about is basically the na b6t so Yea, b6t turbo bolt ons.
                    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

So could you swap the b6t head on there? Not that i'm interested in doing it to mine lol but just a question.
                      Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
                      "Who Dey"

Comment

What would a 1.8bp swap cost me? Besides the engine and tranny what else would i need to have to complete it?

Comment

ECU and wiring harness, mounts.

Comment

Im about to throw a turbo on my GFs car...plan on very moderate boost to keep is simple and thw auto trans happy.
                            -Greg...performance fabricator

-'10 Yaris all door- DD, gas sipper
                            -'97 Tercel turbo, track car
                            -'95 Protege, GFs DD and toy

Comment

You can't keep an auto trans happy.

Comment

Working...
                              X