No announcement yet.

Thymighty's '97 Protege LX 5-speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I painted my wiped arms twice. For some reason it never stays. I sanded them all the way back to bare metal, primered, painted and cleared, but it didn't last. I'm thinking powder coating them will solve my problem.

Rear fender looks good. Glad you got to it before it got like mine :/ I'll post a picture of mine, you'll probably have nightmares, haha.

Comment

Originally posted by irishkev90 View Post
      I painted my wiped arms twice. For some reason it never stays. I sanded them all the way back to bare metal, primered, painted and cleared, but it didn't last. I'm thinking powder coating them will solve my problem.

Rear fender looks good. Glad you got to it before it got like mine :/ I'll post a picture of mine, you'll probably have nightmares, haha.
      LOL, I've had Hondas before, so I know that beating the rust is priority one.

Comment

Here's the pic I was talking about. Look away if you have a weak stomach, haha.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1342707258392.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1233084

Comment

That is some intense rust! There's nothing even close to that on my car. The spots I fixed were about 1/4" in diameter, and there were about three of them. I was able to sand them down to bare metal, then sealed them with rust proof primer, then painted. I did about four coats of the primer, and three coats of paint. We shall see how it holds up.

Comment

I spent about five hours on Saturday trying to replace my axles. The end of both axles is seized to the hub. No matter how hard I hit the axle, I could not break it loose. After spending my entire Saturday morning on it, I threw in the towel and decided to just replace the hub/knuckle assemblies too. I now have two brand new front knuckles with brand new hubs on order.

Comment

Installed new plugs and wires yesterday. My new slave cylinder came also, but I won't be able to install that until the weekend.

The plugs were pretty foul. A lot of oil and carbon build up on plug #1. The rest were a little better off. All four of them were loose too, maybe only finger-tight. The old wires were very worn out.

I installed Iridium plugs and Bosch wires. The Bosch wires were about 1.5" longer than the Belden wires they replaced. I'm not sure why.

Comment

Oh, I also wanted to note that I averaged 31.53 MPG on my last tank of gas. That's all city driving too.

Comment

What's the effect of removing the Hemholz resonator form the Z5? I know removing the resonator on some n/a cars has a negative impact. On my 9-2x, for example, removing the Hemholz resonator causes the car to take false readings of the amount of air flowing through the intake. The ECU compensates by flowing more fuel through the injectors, causing the car to run rich. At low RPM the car runs horribly, and you end up losing a lot of torque.
                  I'm wondering if the Z5 would suffer similar issues.

Comment

I replaced the leaky slave cylinder last night. I used a re-manufactured piece I purchased through RoackAuto.com for $7.00. Looks just like the OEM slave, so fitting it to the car was no problem. Hopefully that solves the brake fluid leak.

Comment

The pile of parts I need to install this weekend:

Comment

kevin that rust isn't bad. that entire panel is replaceable
                        | Ejaz | '98 Protegé | '02 Protegé5 |

Comment

I know it is. I have that whole panel as well as the rocker. Don't think I'll be using them, though. Not on this car anyway. I hate to say it, but there's just too much to fix and I can't afford it. I will be looking into getting another BH when the time for a new car comes.

Comment

Haven't updated this thread in a while becuase I thought I might be selling the BH. Turns out that I still have it, and it's still going strong. It's actually almost a whole new car....

It now has all new suspension, axles, and tie-rod ends. I built the suspension using Sprint springs, KYB Excel G2/GR-2 struts, KYB top hats, KYB bump stops and dust boots, and Monroe rubber bits.

I also put in new OEM clutch and brake pedal covers, a new glove box handle/latch, and a new gauge cluster screen. The steel wheels are back on for winter, but are now wrapped in some fresh, new rubber.

I finally figured out where my oil leak is coming from as well. The O-Ring seal on the distributor is half gone! I'm planning on replacing that next week. I took the car on a 300 mile trip last month with zero issues, and have a 600 mile trip lined up for tomorrow.

Comment

I also installed a new OEM intake hose, forgot to mention that.

Comment

Couple of small updates. New front bumper was installed three weeks ago. I received my JDM headlights, front corners, and taillights this past week. I got those all installed yesterday. Here are some before/after shots.
                                Before:

After:

Comment

Working...
                                X