Look what I just bought!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look what I just bought!

More proof that I'm being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century:

(For those of you who are too young to have actually seen one, this is called a "turntable." It plays music-storage devices called "records" or sometimes "LPs." They're like CDs, except they're bigger, slower, and in some cases sound better.)
    I'm sitting here listening to the best of Procol Harum in all its analog glory, and loving it. "Whiter Shade of Pale" just doesn't sound right from a CD.
    ~Mark.
    2002 Protege DX 5 speed, "Kenmore White," well-loved and a little over half paid-for

Sweet.....I guess. I'll stick my young ass to mp3's.

Comment

If it makes you feel any better, a turntable was the first thing I bought when I moved out of the house.

Beyond the fact that sometimes albums just sound better on LP, a lot of bands release limited edition songs on LP only. 7 inch EP's and the like.
      '99 Protege ES

Mostly stock.

Comment

how much?

Comment

dude r0x0rz, I have a record player in my car.
          NOW WITH SPINNER HUB CAPS

Comment

That's awesome! New models are still being sold (extremely expensive, audiophile stuff).

Comment

$99 at Best Buy. it's an Audio-Technica (never heard of them, but it works, and it sounds good to me...) they also had a Sony for $129 but the replacement stylus cartridges are cheaper for this one.
              The main reason I bought it is because I have a bunch of records that I don't want to (or can't) go out and buy on CD. Old folk stuff (Harry Chapin) & prog-rock (early Genesis, King Crimson, etc). Not to mention every Dire Straits record up to Brothers in Arms.
              Now I need new speakers. It never ends... This is why my car is stock. I blow all my money on other stuff.
              ~Mark.
              2002 Protege DX 5 speed, "Kenmore White," well-loved and a little over half paid-for

Comment

Working...
              X