Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(I hope I am posting in right thread, otherwise pardon me)

OK, I am returning from my mechanic. Weird story!
    1- He says these cars (1999 Mazda Protege LX 1.6L) does not have rear/post Cat?! [I don't know, maybe he really means it or he means it is not important to change it]
    2- He asks almost $600 for replacing pre-Cat :/

Now I just assume I take it somewhere else and they charge me less for replacing both Cats and O2 censors (which he says are not good). It is going to cost me not less than $700. I really do not think this $2000 car worth such a costy repair. I do not know but as the problem is not that emergency, I may decide to drive it as much as I can change the car in future or it breaks down and I sell for cheap. Really stupid repair costs

About Fouler trick, I dont know how it helps (I am not that geeky), specially when partially clogged Cat exist in exhaust circuit.

I was thinking about those eBay Cats for around $120 for pre-Cat and $70 for rear/post Cat. I know I cannot do the rear one as it needs welding but how about pre-Cat, is it easy to do at home? Are they really worth the money and work? (I mean they just let the smoke flows away, we do not need more than that).

Comment

Working...
    X