Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bought a used 2002 mazda protege LX - known issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bought a used 2002 mazda protege LX - known issues?

Hi, I just bought a used 2002 protege LX w/ 132xxxkm. I got it for pretty cheap and seems like a couple things might be wrong with it. Anyone know what might cause it to idle a bit odd? The steering wheel seems to have a little shake to it as well as there is a visible shake when I look at the hood of the car (while sitting in Park/idle). Since this is the first time I have owned one of these cars ( had a 98 mazda 626 previously but seemed to idle quieter than this one and didn't shake). I am hoping some experts will be able to give me some hints on what it might be. I don't believe the last owner ever changed the timing belt, is it over the KM's when that should be changed? I'm hoping it doesn't sound like something major and I simply lucked out on a good deal and didn't get a lemon.

Thanks!

Welcome to CP.

According to the FSM, the timing belt should be inspected at 96,000 km (60,000 miles) and replaced every 168,000 km (105,000 miles), both Canada and USA.

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar View Post
      Welcome to CP.

According to the FSM, the timing belt should be inspected at 96,000 km (60,000 miles) and replaced every 168,000 km (105,000 miles), both Canada and USA.

Happy Motoring!
      Thank you! I'll be sure to get the timing belt checked just in case. Do you know what might cause the vibration in the steering wheel/hood while idle?

Comment

motor mounts

Comment

Working...
        X