No announcement yet.

New OBD testing in Ontario Jan1/2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how was it compared to the BG GTX for power/responce?
    -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

The speed 3? Oh, it felt dead compared to the GTX. It handles well, and has power, but it feels disconnected, you're always aware you're driving a car, where the GTX is raw, once you get into a hard drive, it's you and the road. The speed 3 is a way nicer daily driver.
      sigpic
      1992 Familia GT-X
      1988 323 GTX
      2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
      2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Sounds like the same b.s. like in british columbia.. but our air care program ends in 2014..

Comment

I'm not getting the Speed3, don't want to have to pay for something for that long. So I'm going to have to deal with this. I just emailed drive clean with a few questions that are unclear on their site. Specifically asked about the electronic signature differing with a different pcm, what do people do if their factory pcm dies? I asked about my check engine light for transmission communication, as yes a transmission that doesn't shift will affect emissions, but I have a manual, and the (proper KJ) auto won't fit without custom axles.

I should have asked about the ULEV P5 rating vs. the LEV rating, and if that matters when swapping. That will be a follow up question if they say yes to anything I asked.
          sigpic
          1992 Familia GT-X
          1988 323 GTX
          2014 Civic Touring

Comment

keep that info coming !

Comment

definitely!
              -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Sounds like you guys are going to the same standards we have out here... If thats the case then all they do is plug into the OBD2 port and look for any emissions related trouble codes and make sure all the PCM test monitors are set.. Out here in BC we can have 1 test monitor not complete and still pass, but thats it... It actually makes passing emissions testing MUCH! easier... So long as the car/ecu/motor combination think that its all working in factory trim it will pass...

FYI emissions related codes are any codes that a generic code reader can read.. If you have factory enhanced scan tool abilities some of the codes you pull wont affect passing the emissions test...

Comment

^^Thats how i understood the new etest laws would be like, if thats the case, then the KJ P5 should still pass as-is

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                  1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                  2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

No, the P5 still has a DTC. There can be up to 2 readiness monitors not set for a 2001 and newer, 3 for 1998 to 2000. It will fail if there is a single DTC however. If that DTC is cleared, after an initial fail, at least one associated readiness monitor that wasn't set before must then be set for a pass.
                    Last edited by DuRWooD; 08-18-2012, 02:51 PM.
                    sigpic
                    1992 Familia GT-X
                    1988 323 GTX
                    2014 Civic Touring

Comment

"1. An inaccessible, missing or damaged DLC, or presence of an OBD pass-through device
                      will result in the vehicle being rejected from the OBD test until the DLC is in such a condition that it is able to allow the OBD test.

2. A deviation on the vehicle’s electronic signature from the expected values will result in the vehicle being rejected from the OBD test until the deviation in the vehicle’s electronic signature is resolved in such a way that the OBD test can be completed
                      successfully"

Rule number two is a bit ambiguous.

On a positive note, they have posted scenarios for "hot rods" on the site, most of which stupid, and none of which mention the new obdii laws. They do mention something about a newer car getting a crate engine with no emissions controls. It just says it has to pass the sniffer to the original standard, and no emissions controls are required, other than a cat. It also says it is unlikely to pass due to the lack of emissions controls. I think all these scenarios were written before the new law though, since none of them mention OBD.
                      sigpic
                      1992 Familia GT-X
                      1988 323 GTX
                      2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Originally posted by DuRWooD View Post
                        No, the P5 still has a DTC. There can be up to 2 readiness monitors not set for a 2001 and newer, 3 for 1998 to 2000. It will fail if there is a single DTC however. If that DTC is cleared, after an initial fail, at least one associated readiness monitor that wasn't set before must then be set for a pass.
                        Thats not bad, you guys are lucky... Thats easier to pass then out here..

Comment

Finally heard back from Drive Clean. Just got off the phone with the guy who was quite helpful.

A couple of points:

1. The whole expected electronic signature thing is a flag. If your VIN doesn't match between your computer and car, drive clean requires an explanation. This is to prevent shops from testing a different car than what they say they're testing. Not all obdII equipped cars report the VIN, as most of you know, but it also looks at the checksum. This is not a big deal. Modified cars are going to pass, different ecus are going to pass.

2. In my case, with the check engine light on for transmission communication failure, since the car is already plated in my name, it will qualify for the conditional pass. Replacing the transmission with the proper one, and making the custom axle, etc. that would be needed for the CEL to go away would be over the repair cost limit (can't remember what this is, $400 or $600, somewhere in there). A car can't change ownership with a conditional pass, so I can never sell it after Jan 2013.

The guy did warn however, that in the future, the "smog patrol" may be pulling over suspicious vehicles, and road side testing through the obdii port, in which case, as the guy put it, since the transmission is considered an emission control device, it could be considered emission device tampering, but it would be unlikely.

If you want this guy's number, I believe he is a director of some sort, PM me.

I did ask a bunch more questions, so ask me first, as I'll probably know the answer.
                          Last edited by DuRWooD; 08-27-2012, 01:51 PM.
                          sigpic
                          1992 Familia GT-X
                          1988 323 GTX
                          2014 Civic Touring

Comment

how about being odbII but pre 98... seeing as my odbII port is pretty much non-existent i wonder what the ramifications are there

Comment

Pre 98 obdii will be tested as obdi.

No idea what smog cops would think of it though. They look for egr deletes, cat bypass, and things like that.
                              sigpic
                              1992 Familia GT-X
                              1988 323 GTX
                              2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Hey DurWood why not try wiring in the TCM, getting resistors to match the same resistance as the solenoids, doing something to mimic the Park switch (might get away with just making the TCM see you are in OD all the time), From there you could use engine RPM and speedo inputs for the TCM... Hopefully the TCM progaming has enough give that it wont throw a gear ratio error code...

That might be enough to get your check engine light out and make you pass...

Comment

Working...
                                X