No announcement yet.

HELP! Major engine problems: burning coolant, stalls, not firing, error code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Major engine problems: burning coolant, stalls, not firing, error code

Alright, I'm having some major issues with my B6 SOHC.
    1. Engine light comes on, always trips coolant sensor code (09 flashes if IRC, did the flashing dash via diagnostic connector method). Drove with the sensor unplugged (the one that's in the water thermostat housing), didn't make a difference, the light would still come on/off and sometimes flicker. I've also tried a different sensor. I noticed there was some oil in the sensor connector and wire connector from spillage when adding oil to the engine in a parking lot. Cleaned it up a while ago, made no difference.

2. Engine often periodically burns coolant. I can smell a sweet smell in my cabin with the fan on (exhaust has some holes). Sometimes it's bad, sometimes it's a trickle, I can definately notice the power loss and if I don't keep my foot on the gas at all times it'll stall. When it's burning bad if I don't keep it above 2k RPM when moving from a stop it'll drop down to 500rpm unless I fully depress the gas pedal, at which point it sounds like it's firing on 2 cylinders and takes a few seconds to rev up to the 2k range before I can move again. When this happens and the engine gets to that ~500rpm point, I smell unburned fuel.

3. Did a compression test, ~125PSI on all four, I think the 2nd or 3rd cylinder tested lower but I also cranked it a second less than the other cylinders. I will test it again within the next hour. The FSM says the B6 SOHC should test at 179PSI with a minimum of 125PSI and a max deviation between cylinders of 28PSI.

4. My engine overheated a couple of times within the last few days, mostly during stop traffic. I think it's a combination of burning coolant and having that temp sensor unplugged, I don't know if the fan was running so I plugged it back in and I'll wait and see if it happens again, which I suspect it will.

5. I bought a new water pump and timing belt and alternator belt but have held off installing them. Is it possible my coolant problems are being caused by a failing water pump gasket? Or does it seem like I need to change the piston rings? What should I do about the coolant sensor error code?

I'm going to go do another compression test (battery is in decent health, not weak but not new either), check out the distributer, check cam gear bolts, check the coolant sensor connector, then report back here.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'd like to save this 323 from the crusher if I can, buying a new car ATM would put a lot of financial strain on me.

1993 Mazda Familia GTR - work log
Working...
X