This idles driving me nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This idles driving me nuts

Ok guys I have a 1998 mazda protege 1.5 L.ive done everything..i cleaned the pcv valve,maf sensor,egr valve,spark wires and rotor cap,throttle body..after I cleaned throttle body the CEL game on..so I pulled the codes and.got 4 codes..i wrote them down but forgot but.i remember what they said.one code was about the egr valve..i put the top(where the plug is) on wrong..i put it on 90 degrees to the left so its facing the engine but I looked it up and the most thatll do is cause more co2..one was fuel trim malfunction which I heard is that pipe thing (that connects my maf to the throttle body ) has a crack..i checked and theres no cracks..one was a bad TPS sensor and one was an oxygen sensor(bank 1 sensor 1) so I finally thought I found it..the o2 sensor since that seems like its a common occurance..wel I replaced.it today and still has a rough idle..it sits at about 500-700 rpms and its drivingme crazy..keep in mind I only drove it around the block does it need time for the computer to get use to the sensor?could it be the tps?im getting angry

I'd fix the EGR valve if you haven't already. Also, have you checked your timing or the fuel system. There's more to a bad idle than just faulty sensors. You can also adjust the idle, up or down, using the screw on the top of the throttle body.

What exactly is the idle doing? Staying at a constant, low rpm and annoying amounts of vibration? Or bouncing up and down instead of staying constant?

Mine used to bounce around, cause misfires and stall out if I didn't keep my foot on the gas while stopping. I upped my idle to about 1000 rpm until I found the problem, the egr valve was stuck. Anything below 1000 rpm and it would stall out.

Comment

Originally posted by irishkev90 View Post
      I'd fix the EGR valve if you haven't already. Also, have you checked your timing or the fuel system. There's more to a bad idle than just faulty sensors. You can also adjust the idle, up or down, using the screw on the top of the throttle body.

What exactly is the idle doing? Staying at a constant, low rpm and annoying amounts of vibration? Or bouncing up and down instead of staying constant?

Mine used to bounce around, cause misfires and stall out if I didn't keep my foot on the gas while stopping. I upped my idle to about 1000 rpm until I found the problem, the egr valve was stuck. Anything below 1000 rpm and it would stall out.
      Yea I'll get to that egr valve it's just a giant pain in the ass to get to..but it won't go unfixed.And with the rpms its a little bit of both..most of the time it'll just sit at about 550 and just vibrate annoyingly but very rarely itll bounce up to 750 and maybe give a little buck but like I said its kindof rare

Comment

egr

Comment

How did you clean the EGR valve? Did you try any lubrication grease on the shaft?

Comment

Is this as far as this thred got?
            I would love to know what happend?

My idle is also very anoing, it causes annoying vibrations from being around 550 also.
            It bounces when you turn electrical load on and off.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1437594837652.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	331.7 KB
ID:	1241326Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1437594879702.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	363.4 KB
ID:	1241327

Is this my egr valve? It's not like any I've seen on videos or tutorials,
              It has two hoses that I think is water?
              Anyway,
              Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Comment

What year is your car? That looks more like the idle air control. The egr valve doesn't have water lines and should be towards the bottom of the intake manual.

Easy way to find it is to locate the tube coming out the side of the exhaust manifold and follow it around to the intake manifold. There should be a small valve near where the tube meets the intake manifold.

Comment

Originally posted by irishkev90 View Post
                  What year is your car? That looks more like the idle air control. The egr valve doesn't have water lines and should be towards the bottom of the intake manual.

Easy way to find it is to locate the tube coming out the side of the exhaust manifold and follow it around to the intake manifold. There should be a small valve near where the tube meets the intake manifold.
                  Oh for crying out loud, the photos upsidedown again!
                  Thanks for replying mate, it's a 95.
                  That would make sense- the water n all.

Can't seem to see anything else, under the intake, or anything from the exhaust.
                  Could I just not have one?

Comment

Its a sort of ufo shaped thing (literally) with a plug and vacuum line coming out the top, and its almost directly at the bottom of the intake manifold, toward near the 3rd cylinder.

So if you remove your intake hose and stick your head down under right in front of the trottle body, you'll see it.
                    96 Protege LX 1.5L
                    ~99,000Miles
                    Automatic Transmission
                    Custom Aluminum CAI - Thrush Welded Muffler - 2002 Protege Spoiler - 98 Protege Tail-Lights - Civic Lip - MX-3 Front Seats - 14" Proline Wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Protege_Driver View Post
                      Its a sort of ufo shaped thing (literally) with a plug and vacuum line coming out the top, and its almost directly at the bottom of the intake manifold, toward near the 3rd cylinder.

So if you remove your intake hose and stick your head down under right in front of the trottle body, you'll see it.
                      When I first got my 2nd 1995 1.5L 5 speed LX I removed the throttle body and spent a lot of time cleaning it. I left the egr valve in but I got a long thin metal skewer and pipe cleaner and reamed out the small hole with Throttle body cleaner and dowsed it a lot, then used the pipe cleaners and compressed air to blow it out. You also have to check the boost solenoid, yes you do have a boost vacuum. I found one in the junk yard. I would not clean the pcv valve, just replace it. You need to replace every two years. They are only like seven dollars or so.

Comment

Working...
                      X