Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what did you do to your non-Protege today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

felt great on the way there, when I went to leave I ripped it sideways pulling out ahead of traffic, caught second and pedaled it, backed out of it to shift to third and got a huge cloud of white smoke off-throttle. made it back to my buddy's street before it dropped a cylinder, popped the hood to see a bunch of white smoke from the back of the head and pouring out of the exhaust. had to push it onto the trailer because it wouldn't start. towed it back home, figured the plugs were fouled and maybe if I swapped plugs I could get it to run long enough to get it back in the garage. nope. cylinders 1 and 4 are completely underwater, 2 and 3 are wet.

probably lifted the head and blew the ****ty composite head gasket apart.
    sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
    92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

That's coo concealer, Nice car :-) were you lucky enough to have the forged crank? Atomic what engine are you dealing with? In your Nissan? Sorry I haven't been keeping up ya'll, I was almost finished putting the Nissan back together when (dun dun dunnnnn) found out the dealership that my friend bought her Nissan maxima from had used RTV and a hammer to install an o-ring type water pump... Cracked half of the inside lip of the water pump, she finally got the money to get the part now its operation get this f***ing car out of my man cave.
      Not What you build, But HOW.

Comment

KA24DE.

someone I was talking to yesterday said that Nissan designs great chassis and horrible motors, and I'm inclined to agree with them. My NX2000 was on its third SR20DE when it got totalled (the second since I owned it), my Maxima was on its second VE30DE, and the 240 will be on its third once I decide what to do with it.
        sigpic

Comment

RB swap time?? And I just got out of surgery so im high as hell right now. :-)

Comment

maybe your post-surgery high led you to miss the part about Nissan making junk motors.

if it gets anything other than another KA or an SR, it'd likely be a 1J or 1MZ/3VZ.
            sigpic

Comment

Educate me a bit if you don't mind. Was the KA designed for turbo? And I am sure you did check the head for being warped being that far into it. I haven't ever really hear of an RB review that was horrifying lol, I could be wrong though I am sure... I am also sure it'd be a sweet setup wouldn't need a ton of boost for a good power/torque curve. Just a matter of opinion though only built two of them. But I couldn't agree more with you about Nissans being a straight pain in the ass.

Comment

KA was not designed for boost but will make a decent amount of power normally, like a BP05/ZE. first engine I blew up was N/A and I warped the **** out of the head at the track. haven't torn apart the second motor yet, I have a feeling I lifted the head and took out the gasket that way. when the motor comes apart the head will go to the machine shop to get checked out. both motors will get ARP studs and a new Felpro gasket (MLS gaskets seem to be more hassle than they're worth for under 500whp).

RB has oiling and heat-retention issues, and isn't worth the cost.
                sigpic

Comment

Makes total sense, the kid I worked with building the RB was pretty adamant about aftermarket cooling kind of wouldn't tell me why lol, thanks for the short lesson. Dually noted.

Comment

Moar.

Comment

Originally posted by Pashka0788 View Post
                      That's coo concealer, Nice car :-) were you lucky enough to have the forged crank?

They all have forged cranks.

Comment

Painted the daily...

BEFORE

AFTER

looks way better in pictures though

Comment

I like that front end, Spen. Only seen one like that in my area.
                          1990 Protege 4WD
                          GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                          ├┼┤
                          2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

swooooooon
                            sigpic

Comment

Today I worked on my 1990 Toyota truck.

I installed the correct thermostat with a new gasket, new ventshades, and one new sealed-beam headlight. Then I took apart the dash to reconnect/reroute the HVAC cables that the previous owner had botched, and I sort of repaired a broken air vent while I was there.

I still need to un-reverse the high/low beam wires for the right side headlight, and fix a broken connection for the left side speaker. I'm looking for side mirrors suitable for mounting on the fenders, and thinking about looking for a period correct aftermarket AM/FM/cassette single-DIN head unit.
                              1990 Protege 4WD
                              GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                              ├┼┤
                              2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

worked on a 99 honda civic for the 2nd saturday in a row.
                                first was a clutch job- finding the throw out bearing & pilot bearing were bad. & the disc was semi worn.
                                put the transmission back on only to find out the bearings are shot inside.

tonight i put a used replacement transmission on. only to find out that reverse doesn't go in............
                                im about ready to burn the car.

so scheduled for 2 saturdays out it'll be back again for more repair work :/
                                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
                                X